Is branching a bad thing
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 04-05-2005, 05:15 AM   #1
PeteyPob
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)

Is branching a bad thing

Hi all,
I have been watching my stellata grow and notice that it likes to branch alot. Is this a bad thing? It has abotu five of them which are about 5". I havent cut them because I wanted to let it grow to the surface to see if they would turn red...they didnt. What am I doing wrong with this plant? I dose 1/4 pottasium sulfate, 1/8 phosphate, and no nitrate because of bio-load giving enough, 1 1/2 TBS of csm+b(plus extra iron) in 250ml of h20. I have 2x65 watt lamps come on in the morning, and the other 2x65 watt lamps an hour later. How do you guys get them to turn pink on top?
Pete
PeteyPob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2005, 05:57 PM   #2
e.lark
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I wish my E. stellata would branch I cant get the original branches to propagate, they all just get taller. Ive left the base of one alone for 3 weeks and nothing has branched from it.

I cant figure out how to get them to turn pink either. Ive got over 4 wpg MH and they change alittle but not like I've seen in others. Besides dosing csm+b I added extra flourish Iron and ended up with green water.

good luck
Old 04-05-2005, 07:25 PM   #3
shalu
Wannabe Guru

Pete, some Mg might help. Try 1tsp epsom salt after water change.

I recently figured out that I had a major magnesium deficiency after slacking off to weekly water changes and started dosing epsom salt. I am getting some really red color on new growth from Ammania, esteralis stellata 'broad leaf', and L. glandulosa, etc.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
shalu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2005, 10:17 PM   #4
PeteyPob
Planted Tank Enthusiast

where can I purchase epson salt? GWonline or can that be bought at a retail store? Thanks!
Pete
Old 04-05-2005, 10:21 PM   #5
shalu
Wannabe Guru

Walmart, or many grocery chain store, in the household drug section. A few dollors gets you a 4lb box. Epsom salt is a must have for Discus hobbiest, often used for discus constipation.
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:28 PM   #6
PeteyPob
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just tested my GH from my aquarium, I did a WC this morning and it mesured out at 15 drops to turn green. Is this high ir should I still dose the epson salt?Thanks!
Pete
Old 04-05-2005, 10:37 PM   #7
shalu
Wannabe Guru

I don't know, most people would say you don't need it. But it depends on if the GH has mostly Ca or it also has substantial Mg. My Gh=8, sometimes to 13, but I am convinced it does not have much Mg at all. My Lamotte GH and Ca kits are coming, so I will know exactly. Right now I am just enjoying the improvements brought upon by Mg dosing.

Maybe you don't need extra Mg, but a little won't hurt. Just stop using it if you don't see improvements after a week or two and keep it for future discus use.
---------------------
Old 04-05-2005, 10:50 PM   #8
PeteyPob
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ill give it a try, cant get them pink any other way . Thanks Shalu, always a big help
Pete
Old 04-05-2005, 11:59 PM   #9
Anthony
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

My original stems of stellata won't stop branching. So far they have made around 15 new plants. I just wish I had room to grow them all.
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2005, 05:57 AM   #10
PeteyPob
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I made a trip to my local WalMart and found the epsom salt, pretty cheap too . I added a tsp into the tank on the day of the water change(Tuesday).Tested the water tonight and with one tsp of epsom salt it only bumped it up a degree in hardness. I was curious though, should I be mixing it with the csm+B plus extra iron and dosing it like that? Is one tsp enough or should it be one tbs? How long until I see some result if it works? My sunset hygro looks a little pale as well, damn these red plants . I just got in my rotala macranda and red temple, They are already starting to grow and hope they grow red . I refuse to GIVE UP! Thanks a bunch!
Pete
Old 04-07-2005, 01:18 PM   #11
Anthony
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I haven't tried macrandra yet, but can tell you that red temple is a very easy red plant to keep.
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2005, 08:16 PM   #12
shalu
Wannabe Guru

Other "red" plants I have without requiring low nutriets: Ludwigia glandulosa, Ludwigia ovalis, rotala magenta, rotala wallichii. Limnophila aromatica can be very red for me in high nutrient levels as well. I have warned you about Eusteralis stellata when you first asked about it, it seems to stay green in high nutrient levels. I think it is quite beautiful in green color. Lost most of it to recent deficiency, nursing a single tiny stem right now.

I got my Lamotte kit and it actually says I do have some Mg in tap water based on GH and Ca measurements. So I am not too sure about Mg deficiency anymore, but will monitor tank consumption. Anyway, I will continue to dose epsom salt for a while. You can dose more if you want to, not going to hurt.
---------------------
Old 04-07-2005, 08:32 PM   #13
PeteyPob
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Good stuff, where did you buy your test kit? Ill just continue to play it out I guess, maybe Ill come home one day to a pink tipped stellata . Hey shalu if you are wanting to get rid of any stems of the lug glandulsa and wallichii I would be happy to pay for some. What if I call my water company would they be able to tell me how much ppm of magnesium there is in the water?
Pete
Old 04-07-2005, 09:33 PM   #14
shalu
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyPob
Good stuff, where did you buy your test kit? Ill just continue to play it out I guess, maybe Ill come home one day to a pink tipped stellata . Hey shalu if you are wanting to get rid of any stems of the lug glandulsa and wallichii I would be happy to pay for some. What if I call my water company would they be able to tell me how much ppm of magnesium there is in the water?
Pete
I will PM you when I get some extra stems, maybe in a few weeks or a month. yeah, calling water company is the best option. I bought from
here
---------------------

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.