How to care for Eleocharis Acicularis (Dwarf Hairgrass)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 01-31-2012, 06:58 AM   #1
LNicho
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

How to care for Eleocharis Acicularis (Dwarf Hairgrass)

Hello,

I have five 'plugs' planted in my tank. I tried my best to remove the rock wool and buried each plug with crushed root tablets. I started dosing liquid fertilizer. It is planted in sand.
The grass looks unchanged since I bought it a few weeks ago. I would like to have a 'carpet' of this plant. Could you tell me how to achieve this?

Do you know if this is sufficent lighting?
Lighting on box reads Beamworks, and also includes:
Model - power led 300
Type - led fixture
Input - AC 100-240V
Out put - DC 12V 500mA
Usage - Indoor

Lastly, I hear CO2 is necessary for this plant. I don't know how to dose CO2, and it seems very expensive. Is it?

Thank you!
LNicho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2012, 07:11 AM   #2
forester
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

u can always get some flourish excel (liquid carbon) can get expensive , also DIY CO2 witch is just fermenting yeast and sugar to produce it and diffuse it into the water with diff methods (good for most tanks) if really large tank pressurized CO2 would be way to go to get enough saturation in tank . i am about to go get a presurized system but DIY has worked well for me for a long time with good results . but i am big on basics ,lotsa of more knowledgable people on here that can help further oh and i know nothign on LED ligths , i have t5ho
forester is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 07:25 AM   #3
willknowitall
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

costs about $200 and up to get pressurized co2
maybe $100 for second hand
willknowitall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 07:34 AM   #4
LNicho
Algae Grower

That is expensive! Probably better for bigger tanks. Mine is a mere ten gallon! I'm still hoping to grow that carpet.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #5
forester
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

with a ten gallon i would just use DIY yeast fermentation or just dose with excel ^^
forester is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2012, 07:41 AM   #6
LNicho
Algae Grower

How long did it take you to grow a carpet?
I left on a bit of rockwool, since I was afraid to damage the roots. It may take me a while.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (438/100%)

Don't worry about damaging the roots. Hair Grass is one of the sturdiest plants in the hobby. I often use a blade to scrape it all off.

You'll get quicker growth if you spread the plants out a bit more. I.E., break the clumps up into smaller pieces and spread them around the tank.

Sometimes takes a few weeks for runners to start but once spreading begins, it'll seem like the entire tank is covered in very little time.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 05:55 AM   #8
LNicho
Algae Grower

Since they are already planted, I probably shouldn't dig them up, but I will keep that in mind for the future!
I'm starting to see a bit of growth today. Can this plant grow in room temperature water?
Old 02-05-2012, 06:21 AM   #9
Rev_jim_jones
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Unless your me in which case it never carpets

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Don't worry about damaging the roots. Hair Grass is one of the sturdiest plants in the hobby. I often use a blade to scrape it all off.

You'll get quicker growth if you spread the plants out a bit more. I.E., break the clumps up into smaller pieces and spread them around the tank.

Sometimes takes a few weeks for runners to start but once spreading begins, it'll seem like the entire tank is covered in very little time.
Rev_jim_jones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #10
Patty LongD
Algae Grower

Default Same boat

I just loaded dwarf hairgrass into my 10 gallon as well. I'm using a gallon size bottle to create CO2. It's costing me about 30 cents a batch, i bought a cheap effective diffuser for 9.50. I use 4 cups sugar, 1 teaspoon of yeast and 1 teaspoon of baking soda, lasts about a week.

My lighting is 2.25 watts per gallon and I haven't used any form of fertilizer (YET!). The tank is shared by wisteria, anubias nana, and a moss ball, all of whom are rated for the low-light conditions.

Essentially I'm posting to say, you're not the only one making it happen, and I'll let you know how long it takes for this grass to propagate, if ever. I did separate my very similarly sized patch into about five different patches. My tactic is to let it chill out, get acclimated and keep it's color for about two, maybe three weeks. Hopefully it tries to grow taller, which I hear is a common effect of the low-light setup, at which point I'll trim it way down, which I hear causes the grass to grow runners.

Good luck
Patty LongD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
carpet dwarf hairgrass

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.