captain nemo's - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Pennsylvania

Old 02-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #16
moonwasaloon
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

The Petsmart on Adams Ave is actually pretty good too. They have a good selection of cichlids
moonwasaloon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #17
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

i actually prefer the store next to chickie's and pete's on the blvd. i go in there on friday nights and i basically have the store to myself. lol if they carried better plants there i would shop there more often.
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 12:55 AM   #18
robxc80
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I just went to Nemo's for their "Natural Pet" Grand Opening.

Was happy to find Needle Leaf Java Fern (Picked up all 8 Bunches), some Pogostemon Stellatus (Emersed grown so now I have to let it grow out in its submerged form, and some Bosemani's for 1.50 with the 50% sale.

Being from SoCal, I had a hard time adjusting to a lot of the stores out here since finding a place with good plant selection is tough. I had an store i went to in Socal that carried ADA products and rare plants and fish. I found Nemo's and thought it pretty decent. If you mix in Aquarium Center and ThatPetPlace into the fold, you can find almost anything.

Anyway, back to Nemo's...i was unhappy to see the changes initially but was pleasantly surprised this weekend. Hong (The manager) is still there and they actually have some good stock.

Tangayikan Cichlids: 4 types of Tropheus, Altolamprologus Comp. "Gold", Neolamp. Leleupi, Neolamp Ocellatus, brichardi, and various Syndontis species.

Malawi: Lots of good sized and colorful haps (Expensive) including harder to find haps. Of course, they had tons of mbunas.

Dwarf Cichlids: Apisto Cacatuoides "Double Red", Electric Blue Rams (Healthy), Apistogramma Agassiz (Leucistic Colorations, almost all cream with red fins), and African Butterfly Cichlids (Anamalochromis Thomasi)

CA/SA: Usual bred and Butter but some striking and bright colored Salvini's, and a large Vieja Regani.

Tetras: On top of the bred and butter, they had some black emperors in stock.

Plants: Rotala "Colorata", Rotala Wallichi, Narrow Leaf Ludwigia, Pogostemon Stellatus, Dwarf Hairgrass (Good Quality), Dwarf Baby Tears, Glosso, Lots of Java Fern, Crypt Parva (Quite a bit of it too), Cyperus Helferi, Swords, Hygro Kompackt, Hygro Angustofolia, Various Apogenton...

Not bad at all...Check it out.
robxc80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 02:52 AM   #19
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)

Last time I went there the plant section was in total disarray. I'll forgive them, but I won't be back for at least a few more weeks to let them get things looking nice again. The plant tank in general is very impressive looking and I feel that should be one of their prime money makers in terms of aquarium sales. I imagine if they find a good supplier, the turnover would be fast and effortless. The only thing they would need to do is take the time to properly label and display the plants. They had dead plants floating all over the place last time making it look like they had no intension of offering quality plants.
KingPlakat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 03:52 AM   #20
joon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to joon

i was at captain nemos yesterday as well

50% off on freshwater fish BUT PLANT WAS ONLY 20% OFF

because it was a grand opening day as new store,

they were fully stocked, all plants looked just arrived... very healthy and fully stocked

i always loved their collection of fish and good staffs working there

i think price went up cuz its petplus now...
joon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #21
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

i guess only time will tell if they were stocked well for the grand opening only, or will it stay that way. good way to suck people in and then forget about them.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #22
ElBoltonero
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

It's been a Pets Plus for at least 3 months now, they just didn't change the name right away.

FWIW the Langhorne Pets Plus has a nice big infinity tank full of plants. None are labeled and they're almost entirely stem plants, but still...
ElBoltonero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #23
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElBoltonero View Post
It's been a Pets Plus for at least 3 months now, they just didn't change the name right away.

FWIW the Langhorne Pets Plus has a nice big infinity tank full of plants. None are labeled and they're almost entirely stem plants, but still...
i was there last weekend. they had some decent stuff. gonna head there in the next few weeks for some of those big swords they have for my 125.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #24
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)

I really need to get up to all the pet stores by northeast...I've only been to all the places around south west, thatfishplace in lancaster, and most places surrounding KOP.
KingPlakat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #25
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPlakat View Post
I really need to get up to all the pet stores by northeast...I've only been to all the places around south west, thatfishplace in lancaster, and most places surrounding KOP.
i'm just the opposite, need to check out the lower suburban joints. we should just set up some sort of shopping network........lol
Old 02-13-2013, 03:45 AM   #26
Rush3737
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

So, maybe this is me coming from a smaller market with chain stores and one nice (but small) LFS, but this place was AWESOME.

I was across the street for work and had some extra time so I figured I'd see if anything of interest was in the area and this popped up so I stopped in... the selection of Cichlids and Plecos especially was great, and there were a ton of plants to explore. Sad I only had 10 minutes to spend there, but I'll definitely be back at some point on the way to/from a Flyers game to spend some more time looking through the place.
Rush3737 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #27
le0p
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I was here a couple weeks ago, I was pretty impressed. They had a full plant stock and not just the normal petsmart stuff and everything looked healthy. The freshwater section looked good, the place isn't huge but they have a nice selection of fish and the tanks looked healthy at the time. I always check out the saltwater section too, but this could use improvement, there were a lot of empty tanks, dirty tanks, and some not so good looking fish.

Overall, it's the best LFS within 30 minutes of me (that I know of), I have one 2 miles from my house but their fish section literally makes me sad. Enough that I do all my shopping at petsmart for stuff I need quickly like feeders and products.

I'll be going back this week to pick up some stuff for my new tank, if the selection of plants is anything like the last time I was there, I'll be happy.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #28
joon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to joon

i miss captain nemos , their buisness nema changed to petsplus after owner passed away
but still the same staff, same stuff however price went up (i feel like 50% )
during the time, i went to mccc school for 3yrs, which is 1.5mile away from nemos...
whoo... i feel like i went captain nemos 1000 times~~~
awesome store!
joon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #29
Rush3737
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Back here on business and I got some driftwood and Java moss.
Rush3737 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #30
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)

still disappointed in how they changed the fish area.

that being said, their stock is pretty good for fresh water. I was surprised to see a tank w/ kribensis and congo tetra ($9.99/congo holy crap! and i want 20-40) and even had Ctenopoma acutirostre.

their plant selection is always fairly decent. not sure if you're going to find anything rare there or not.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.