getting back in, in a small way - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Massachusetts

Old 02-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #16
redpaulhus
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikorita View Post
Redpaulhus

Welcome to the forum .. I do come to the BAS meeting almost every month ..
I know - unless I'm completely confusing you with somebody else, I'm pretty sure I've known you, your husband, and your kids for a few years now
I haven't been able to make as many meetings as I used to, lately.

+ 1 to the recommendations of Uncle Ned's -- its a great store, he and I go way back, he's a good guy and has awesome stock.

Somebody asked about trade-ins -- BAS meetings are great ways to re-home fish (auction at every meeting). As was mentioned, Ned may be able to take them. I know that Unique Aquaria also can often take fish - depending on size, available space, etc.

They generally offer credit, and are most flexible if you are getting some new fish or plants (its, ahem, "easier" to shave a few extra dollars on the price of the new fish than it is to tell the boss you're giving out credit again).
If you make it there on a Saturday, I'm one of the peeps in the freshwater department

Last edited by redpaulhus; 02-08-2012 at 12:57 AM..
redpaulhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #17
redpaulhus
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bags View Post
OK, I have the tank: 12 gallon (35x8x9) all glass. I have always liked long tanks, and it fits into a perfect place where i can hide the lights and filtration systems out of sight. Some driftwood, plants, and sparkling gourami's and I'll be all set.

Thanks
oh very nice - I love sparkling's, they are very under-rated IMO.

Thanks for the reminder - I think we need to order more of them, we sold our last ones last week.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #18
shortsboy
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

I just changed jobs from up in NH to one in Cambridge, so I now have time / proximity to check out all these great downtown resources - planning on heading to the BAS on Monday, so may meet some of you there.
shortsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #19
shortsboy
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

Just came from Skipton's...

Meh.

Fish were pretty good, but everything else was just meh. Also, almost no stems to be seen. Two display tanks were pretty though.
shortsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:56 AM   #20
redpaulhus
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortsboy View Post
Just came from Skipton's...

Meh.

Fish were pretty good, but everything else was just meh. Also, almost no stems to be seen. Two display tanks were pretty though.
They get plants every 2 weeks on average - a new batch is due in this friday.
nothing super exotic, mostly bread n butter stuff.
I think this order has at least 6 varieties of stem plants, a few types of swords, anubias, a lot of dwarf sag, etc. Most of the crypts in stock are from local trade-ins, along with the java ferns, moss and subwassertang.

the store is under new mgmt/ownership and eventually there will be a new section of 'plant tanks' where the bagged gravel is stocked - with better lighting than the 'fish' tanks and better access than the current 'plant' tanks (which are barely used)

there's also a huge fish order coming in this week - the tanks were looking low when I left on Sunday.