Zacheyp's 10 gallon betta soroity
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 01-30-2012, 01:49 AM   #1
zacheyp
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Zacheyp's 10 gallon betta soroity

So after toying around with the idea of a 5 gallon male betta tank i have decided to get a 10 gallon betta soroity!!!!! I plan to get 6 fish. I plan to get 1 snail and some red cherry shrimp! The tank will be heavily planted. I would like to get a cheap kit, is there one that you would reccomend?
Obviously i shouldnt add all 6 at once so would you reccomend 3 and 3 or 2 2 2? Do i have to rearange the wood and plans everytime i add new fish? Finnaly, i never never cycled a fresh tank only salt... i would i cycle a tank like this?
zacheyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2012, 02:03 AM   #2
Kyguylal
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

10 gallons for 6 bettas. Wouldn't do it. Might be able to do 3, but then they might get stressed
Kyguylal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:26 AM   #3
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

Maybe 6 neon tetras, then your RCS would have a chance of surviving
xenxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:32 AM   #4
Aubzilla
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Aubzilla

If you mean a sorority as in a group of females- you do need to add them all at once, or else the new comers will be ripped to shreds.
You really shouldn't make a sorority in anything smaller than a 20 long- even though they "get along"(kind-of), they need a lot of space.
Look into fishless cycling(works the same way in a fresh tank as it does a saltie).
And yeah, you will have a shrimp-less tank in no time flat.
Aubzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:40 AM   #5
atom
Planted Member

I have read that 3 by themselves at any point is a bad idea. The chances are 2 will gang up on one. Better off adding the 6 at once. Also 6 bettas will be hunting down your cherries in no time.

I've dreamed of doing a sorority, but it seems like it's more stressful that it's worth...for me and the fish. Good luck with yours.
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:48 AM   #6
Aubzilla
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Aubzilla

My girls were great with each other- but I also had 13-15 in a 75 gallon tank. The first two weeks was rough(lots of nipped fins), but after that they were pretty amiable.
Aubzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
xjasminex
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

I looked into a Betta sorority too but found out that a ten gallon is too small, a twenty is more preferred, there were also people who suggested against them because the fish are stressed out all the time so yet are prone to disease and sickness and that the warmer temps create a good breeding ground for columnaris. Id post a thread off out it in the fish section, that's where I got my answers!
xjasminex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #8
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

I never had a alot of experience with bettas but I had 2 for like a week and I took them back. I just see trouble here.
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #9
Wicket_lfe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wicket_lfe

+1 on the shrimp hunting. They WILL hunt down every single one. The crunching sound is a little unnerving.
Wicket_lfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:36 AM   #10
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

theres very little chance that cherries can survive 4+ bettas. btw i recommend getting 4 females min and max for a 10 gallon - though a 20 gal would be much better. you can increase the shrimp's chances by culturing shrimp first, and growing the 10 gallon as a very dense planted tank, months before adding any fish. however once the bettas are in, they will get to work so it better be insanely dense.

I have keep two female bettas in a 10 with cherries. they did ok, but 2 bettas dont really work over time - you should really get around 4. that calls for a larger tank.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #11
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

So what did you end up deciding?
xenxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #12
Mr. Baum

6 female bettas in a ten gallon should not have any problems as long as you heavily plant it. They are labrinth fish and do not require a source of airration however if you do that many bettas together you would have to feed almost continuously to prevent the shrimp from becoming endangered. I would suggest going with some really thick plants(bushy plants) to allow your shrimp to hide as well as keep your scerority from too many "cat fights". Good luck and hope you post some great pics!
Mr. Baum is offline   Reply With Quote