Tiger Tank...official start (now with shrimp) - Page 8
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 08-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #106
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
Parameters were pretty steady at:

GH 3
KH 0-1
TDS 197
pH 6.4
Temp low 70's
Depending on where you got your OEBT, the params may differ for them. German breeders keep theirs at

GH 5-7
KH 0-1
TDS Yours was good
pH 7.0-7.2
Temp low 70's

If you ended up getting a german stock, it may explain why they died, just couldn;t cope and probably got stressed and caught something or just didn;'t molt right.
Bananariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 01:10 AM   #107
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Yeah...pretty sure the person i got them from had similar parameters. The lone surviver seems to doing ok and actually is more active now. In the old tank...sometimes I wondered if I had tigers at all cause I never saw them and I'd have to search them out. Even food didn't bring them out. Now this girl is out and about all the time. I plan to let the tank settle a little and then I'll source out some more and give them another try. They are my favorite shrimp so now that I've had a taste I definitely want more.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:52 AM   #108
dubels
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

Yeah from all the reading and conversations that I have had with people here your PH and GH seemed a bit low. Also tigers seem to be more susceptible to bacteria infections so that could have added to it.
dubels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #109
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

Right. Pretty sure that's what got most of them at least, bacterial infection, probably more susceptible because of the stress from not so perfect water parameters. I hate to learn by losing livestock, but at least I did learn a little something and next time I'll be better prepared I think. Lone survivor is still looking good so I'm shooting for new shrimp hopefully in the next couple weeks if I can find a good source.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #110
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

New tank is setup and doing well. I bought a new 20L, used black sand for substrate, tap water, and a sponge filter. Moved all the PFR's from the old tank plus the sole surviving OEBT to the new tank and they seem happier. Had some molting and see a couple saddles already after only a couple weeks. Today I added 5 super tigers which are very cool. I'm hoping they like the setup and do well. I'll get some new parameters this evening to post up just for anyone that is curious. I'll grab some shots too...I have just two for now that I just snapped....and yeah, the moss looks terrible. I was hoping it would come back but not looking like it is going to.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:39 PM   #111
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

Yea that moss looks like it's dead. Just leave it in the tank and don't feed the shrimp. They will end up eating the dead moss when they get hungry, then whatever is left over will regrow!

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:12 AM   #112
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

haha...yeah...looks terrible. Some of the tips are greenish, not sure if that means they are still dying or trying to come back...lol...but yeah, as long as it doesn't start mucking up the water I'll leave it in there.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:29 AM   #113
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

Having camera issues...trouble focusing. Here's another shot...best out of like 10 and still not great

Old 08-16-2012, 01:25 AM   #114
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
Having camera issues...trouble focusing. Here's another shot...best out of like 10 and still not great

Looks pretty amazing to me hahahaha.

Are you sure you got super tiger stock? The pictures kinda show weaker bands that what I normally see in super tigers......it also might just be the picture xD
Old 08-16-2012, 02:03 AM   #115
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananariot View Post
Looks pretty amazing to me hahahaha.

Are you sure you got super tiger stock? The pictures kinda show weaker bands that what I normally see in super tigers......it also might just be the picture xD
Definitely supers John. You see the red-ish head/tail? The bands are really thick as well. Regular tigers can have thick bands, but will never have red heads or tails.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:09 AM   #116
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
Definitely supers John. You see the red-ish head/tail? The bands are really thick as well. Regular tigers can have thick bands, but will never have red heads or tails.
http://aquarliam.com/2012/06/super-t...thing-special/

According to liam the face color could be present, but the stripes in the pic look a bit thin and rough edged.

Then again I'm confused as all hell to tell the difference nowadays. Cause I've seen regular tigers with those features and from what I gather "super tigers" are really defined by where they come from.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:15 AM   #117
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

Yea you're right. The stripes aren't as Liam described
Quote:
Super tigers (real super tigers), have very thick, broad stripes, mainly black, but can sometimes be outlined in white. The contrast between the edge of the stripe, and the clear part of the body is very stark, like someone had colored them with a fine point permanent marker. The face and tail are always yellow or orange, and the base of the antennules is always red. There is very little variation in these basic features when offspring are created. The difference in pattern between male and female is less drastic than in normal tigers as well, with only a slight difference in the thickness of the striping.
But the head and tail are definitely red. I have one lone female super tiger .

Old 08-16-2012, 02:17 AM   #118
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

Sorry nubster, not trying to question it. I'm just really confused myself atm xD
Old 08-16-2012, 02:59 AM   #119
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

No, no problem. I like to learn as well. These came from Msjinkzd so I trust that they are supers, but of course if all signs point to them not being, I'd like to know that as well.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #120
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

PTrader: (204/100%)
Send a message via AIM to msjinkzd

I think what is important to realize,even if you read Liam's post, is that this is a wild variation. As with fish, depending on collection locale, you can see a range of variety. I can tell you, they were priced appropriately for what they are. Regular tigers do not have that coloration on head and tail.

Anyone who has dealt with any of these wild type shrimp and has a lot of experience can tell you, the color of the head and tail as well as body type can be heavily impacted by how settled they are into the tank as well.

Many of this particular batch of super tigers got blueish bodies, with a bright red/orange head and tail. Some have the white shadow bands behind the dark stripes.

You guys should be careful of copying and regurgitating other people's posts/blogs and making determinations of what you think something is or isn't based on lack of first hand knowledge.

The one that Nubster pictured actually has better head and tail coloration than the one on Liam's site.

Additional pictures from the same group of shrimp: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=185908
msjinkzd is offline   Reply With Quote