Tiger Tank...official start (now with shrimp) - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-30-2012, 06:38 AM   #31
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

im kinda new to all this water mixing stuff and plain and simple dont do it but i keep crystal reds, and oebt in tap water no ro unit here. i did have a berryed crystal red but kid decided the tank needed filled and use a part of a gallon of distilled and no more eggs but other than that all are great in tap water. i do not have a clue what my perameters are right now cause i have not owned a test kit in years but will be gettin one in a day or 2 so ill let any one who wants to know then. i do use miracle grow organic (peat based) capped with sand so that might have a bit to do with it. sorry for the randoms post but im just wondering what the gh/kh and all vs the ro water is about do most people have a prob with reg tap water so they cant keep caridina shrimp?
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2012, 07:21 AM   #32
madness
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
im kinda new to all this water mixing stuff and plain and simple dont do it but i keep crystal reds, and oebt in tap water no ro unit here. i did have a berryed crystal red but kid decided the tank needed filled and use a part of a gallon of distilled and no more eggs but other than that all are great in tap water. i do not have a clue what my perameters are right now cause i have not owned a test kit in years but will be gettin one in a day or 2 so ill let any one who wants to know then. i do use miracle grow organic (peat based) capped with sand so that might have a bit to do with it. sorry for the randoms post but im just wondering what the gh/kh and all vs the ro water is about do most people have a prob with reg tap water so they cant keep caridina shrimp?
Caridina cantonensis seem to have a range of water parameters where they thrive. Mostly this means cool, soft water (low ph, low gh/kh).

Most people have tap water that is too hard for caridina cantonensis. The most reliable and probably the most effective way to deal with this is to use RO and use a mineral additive/supplement to mix back into the RO water in order to get the measurements to an ideal level.

If you are already keeping caridina cantonensis and having success using tap water then don't worry about it. It applies more to people who can't get them to live/breed with the tap water that they have locally or for people who just want to try and have everything as perfect as possible for them.
madness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 12:00 PM   #33
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

My questions are, you said you had a berried crystal. How long have you had your crystal shrimp? Have you had other berried shrimp? Also, have you had babies in this tank before? If so, what was the survival rate? I think my tap water, other than having a slightly high pH, could do ok with caridina shrimp. Thing is, even if the parameters look ok, I don't know what all is in my water. I'd love to be able to use tap water but when the time comes and I have a tank full of $30-$50 shrimp, I want to make sure that I am giving them the best living environment I can and if that means RO/DI water, then that's what they are going to get.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #34
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
My questions are, you said you had a berried crystal. How long have you had your crystal shrimp? Have you had other berried shrimp? Also, have you had babies in this tank before? If so, what was the survival rate? I think my tap water, other than having a slightly high pH, could do ok with caridina shrimp. Thing is, even if the parameters look ok, I don't know what all is in my water. I'd love to be able to use tap water but when the time comes and I have a tank full of $30-$50 shrimp, I want to make sure that I am giving them the best living environment I can and if that means RO/DI water, then that's what they are going to get.
Another reason to use RO/DI water is that your tap water sometimes undergoes changes through seasons. Maybe it gets harder, pH higher, more minerals at some point, you just don't know with it. That's why you essentially have to use RO/DI water with caridina species unless you're using well water.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #35
h4n
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (713/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
Another reason to use RO/DI water is that your tap water sometimes undergoes changes through seasons. Maybe it gets harder, pH higher, more minerals at some point, you just don't know with it. That's why you essentially have to use RO/DI water with caridina species unless you're using well water.
Well water will change also though.
h4n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #36
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4n View Post
Well water will change also though.
Really? I thought the TDS/gH/kH was pretty constant with well water year round

Old 01-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #37
Snowflake311
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

A lot of it has to do with run off. How much rain and snow will effect your TDS even in a well. I have asked for a detailed water report from my company. it tells you everything that's in your water and how much. It's pretty interesting. That report can let you know how good or bad your water really is. It's free and they email it to you.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #38
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake311 View Post
A lot of it has to do with run off. How much rain and snow will effect your TDS even in a well. I have asked for a detailed water report from my company. it tells you everything that's in your water and how much. It's pretty interesting. That report can let you know how good or bad your water really is. It's free and they email it to you.
Yeah I knew you could get those water reports if you're using the city's water lines. But I thought if you run off of well water, that was kind of it's own separate thing. No experience with having well water haha.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #39
madness
Wannabe Guru

It depends upon the location and type of water you are getting your well water from.

If it is from some deep, isolated aquifer then it should be pretty stable.

We have wells in the river valley so the water is constantly mixed in with the water table from the river so I am sure that it fluctuates a ton.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #40
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

my blue tiger shrimp breed no prob i have had the crystal reds since about mid november i think. first one i saw berried was first part of jan. no babys now i think the change in water when the distilled water was added stressed them. i do have small shrimp but i also have the rili in there and so not sure whos babys they really are
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 04:18 PM   #41
ucantimagine
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/90%)

Oooo thanks for reminding me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordalphus View Post
You gonna lay some old sea mud down under the akadama? I think that's important when using akadama
ucantimagine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 11:53 PM   #42
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

Ok...so my Old Sea Mud arrived today (THANKS mordalphus!!!) so I am making some RO water and hoping to get the tank running this evening. I have my first bucket of H2O and I am trying to get it remineralized. Out of the RO I get:

KH/GH 0-1
TDS 2

I added some Kent's RO Right until I got GH 4 (very light green, how green should it be?), KH still 0-1, and TDS is 187. Does that seem right to have such high TDS? I was expecting more along the lines of 150 or so.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:57 PM   #43
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

If there was only gH then the TDS should be ~80. Since it is much higher Kent RO right must be adding back some minerals that are conductive.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:59 PM   #44
madness
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
If there was only gH then the TDS should be ~80. Since it is much higher Kent RO right must be adding back some minerals that are conductive.
I think I saw someone mention somewhere that it has some salts in it which would probably conduct and thus show up as TDS. I don't know this for a fact though and I haven't used RO Right before.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:00 AM   #45
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:

That's what I thought. Is that normal with Kent's? I thought it was supposed to be one of the better products but jacking up the TDS like that, it seems to me that it's kinda "dirty" which is why I avoided the SeaChem stuff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.