My Twin Specs.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 01-29-2012, 01:26 AM   #1
atom
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

My Twin Specs.

The beginnings of my Spec.

Flora

Java Fern
Anubias (nana or barteri?)
Duckweed
Waiting for my LFS to get their plants shipment to fill it out.

Fauna
White Platinum Plakat (Emrys)

Hardscape
Manzanita Branch
River Stones

Substrate
ADA Amazonia
Fluval Stratum

Light
Ikea JANSJÖ LED Light
warm white (2700 Kelvin).
Energy consumption: 3.0W.

----------

I'm not currently using the stock LED light because it is being used elsewhere. I don't know how this light compares to the stock light. Hopefully it will keep my lowlight plants alive.

Currently having a problem with my Betta flaring at his reflection in the glass when I put the black background on. Maybe I'll leave it off...and yes the tank is sideways because when it's in it's proper orientation it takes up too much space on my small desk. I don't mind it.

Experimenting with moving the manzanita around.

He is incredibly hard to photograph because unlike my other longfin bettas he is always zooming around. He often looks like a white streak in photos.

------------------

APRIL 2012

Last edited by atom; 04-06-2012 at 05:40 AM..
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2012, 01:30 AM   #2
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

Beautiful!! Simple and elegant, I love it. I need to trim my down

That lamp looks great, I'm going to grab one for my bowl next time I'm at IKEA. What are you using the stock LED for?
xenxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:41 AM   #3
atom
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
Beautiful!! Simple and elegant, I love it. I need to trim my down

That lamp looks great, I'm going to grab one for my bowl next time I'm at IKEA. What are you using the stock LED for?
THANKS!

I think it needs to be filled out some more though. Maybe a smaller piece of wood lying in the substrate and another anubias perhaps. I will have to see what my LFS gets next week.

Hah, actually the original light is lighting my bowl right now. The reason is because I prefer a warmer light by my desk. The bowl resides next to my aquastyle tank because both have cooler lights.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:00 AM   #4
PinoyBoy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

How strong is the current for your betta?
Old 01-29-2012, 03:11 AM   #5
atom
Planted Member

It's still pretty strong, but this guy can take it. I actually think he likes it. The only mods I did were extra sponges in the intake and I didn't stick the tube in the pump completely. It just sort of sits slightly off to the side. I might try stuffing a small piece of sponge in the tube if I see him struggling. So far he is fine.

I tried putting my crowntail in there first, but he didn't like it at all. He was pushed around. He hid behind the stump and would only come out if I unplugged the filter. Then he would sit on the gravel and sulk.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:15 AM   #6
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom View Post
THANKS!

I think it needs to be filled out some more though. Maybe a smaller piece of wood lying in the substrate and another anubias perhaps. I will have to see what my LFS gets next week.

Hah, actually the original light is lighting my bowl right now. The reason is because I prefer a warmer light by my desk. The bowl resides next to my aquastyle tank because both have cooler lights.
How did you attach that light to a bowl? Or is one surface flat?

My anubias has been perpetually melting away (bought a healthy looking one in one of those Petsmart tubes, grown emersed). Only plant I have that's dying and not perking up :/ and it's supposed to be low maintenance.

You could probably add another anubias on the right, or a crypt for variety. Also some foreground plants, maybe dwarf hair grass?
Old 01-29-2012, 03:53 AM   #7
atom
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
How did you attach that light to a bowl? Or is one surface flat?

My anubias has been perpetually melting away (bought a healthy looking one in one of those Petsmart tubes, grown emersed). Only plant I have that's dying and not perking up :/ and it's supposed to be low maintenance.

You could probably add another anubias on the right, or a crypt for variety. Also some foreground plants, maybe dwarf hair grass?

I lucked out with my bowl. It's one of those with a rim. There is a side that is ever so slightly flatter than the rest where the seam (if that's what you call it) connects. The light sits nicely clipped onto the rim.

The Jansjo Ikea light I have is also a clip on light, but I don't think it will work quite as well on the bowl. The clip is just too long.

I have had anubias melt on me before, but hopefully this one won't in the spec.
I don't know if this iKea light is strong enough to sustain dwarf hairgrass, but I'll take a look. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:59 AM   #8
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

Another alternative is marsilea minuta, they do fine in low light. Looks like I had the same idea as you about the light, but couldn't get the Spec light to fit on my vase/bowl. I'll be grabbing the IKEA light with the rounded base, don't have anything to clip onto.

It's a 4.2W LED @ 2700k, it's cheap and I'm mainly looking for an ambient light Bet it's probably on par with the Spec stock (can't find ratings anywhere).
Old 01-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #9
PinoyBoy
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
It's still pretty strong, but this guy can take it. I actually think he likes it. The only mods I did were extra sponges in the intake and I didn't stick the tube in the pump completely. It just sort of sits slightly off to the side. I might try stuffing a small piece of sponge in the tube if I see him struggling. So far he is fine.

I tried putting my crowntail in there first, but he didn't like it at all. He was pushed around. He hid behind the stump and would only come out if I unplugged the filter. Then he would sit on the gravel and sulk.
I saw in a thread here at TPT a few hours ago how Spec users put a small-very small-slit on the tube to lower the water output, and also circulate water in the pump chamber. I can't find the thread, but it's here somewhere.

Found it: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...flow-spec.html
Old 01-31-2012, 05:54 AM   #10
atom
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyBoy View Post
I saw in a thread here at TPT a few hours ago how Spec users put a small-very small-slit on the tube to lower the water output, and also circulate water in the pump chamber. I can't find the thread, but it's here somewhere.

Found it: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...flow-spec.html
Thanks PinoyBoy. Hah, I actually started that thread. I haven't added any slits yet, but I think I will.

Anyway, here is an update...

Added another anubias and some Staurogene Repens clippings. I'm hoping to have a small carpet of them. I will see how the lighting goes. Anyone have repens in a low light/low tech setup?
Old 02-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #11
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

I ended up ordering my light off Amazon for $10 more, figured the gas for the trip up would cost more. The stock light is orange and very very weak (not the warm white as advertised); it also runs very hot. Did you change the bulb, and if so which one?

Betta looks amazing btw.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #12
atom
Planted Member

xenes, which light are you referring to? The Ikea one? I didn't do any mods to it, but I have noticed it flickers sometimes and goes dimmer. I think it's maybe because I splashed water on the bulb accidently so when it goes dim I have to tap the switch for some reason to fix it. I'm not sure how well it will grow my plants especially the repens. I didn't think I could change the bulb on this light.

Also I just got some marsilea variety of some sort. I'm growing it in my ebi first and hopefully it will be a success so I can transfer some here.

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:36 AM   #13
biogenetic40379
Planted Member

nice tank layout. I can't find any small drift wood at any of the LFS's.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:39 AM   #14
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
xenes, which light are you referring to? The Ikea one? I didn't do any mods to it, but I have noticed it flickers sometimes and goes dimmer. I think it's maybe because I splashed water on the bulb accidently so when it goes dim I have to tap the switch for some reason to fix it. I'm not sure how well it will grow my plants especially the repens. I didn't think I could change the bulb on this light.

Also I just got some marsilea variety of some sort. I'm growing it in my ebi first and hopefully it will be a success so I can transfer some here.

Thanks.
Yeah the IKEA one. I read that was a common problem, saw this in an Amazon review:

Quote:
intermittent power switch. Lamp would often go dim then off. Finally pried apart switch and found what I think was a loose piece of plastic. Reassembled it and now it works great. I'm a retired industrial electrician and know how to cope with electrical switches. Don't try this yourself.
Never asked you where you got your betta?
Old 02-02-2012, 03:28 AM   #15
atom
Planted Member

xenxes, I guess I won't be opening up my light then. I got my betta from a LFS here in Vancouver. He was being sold as a female in a tank full of his sisters. I'm pretty sure he was mislabeled though.

biogenetic, I like to collect interesting pieces of driftwood when I see then at stores especially manzanita. Lucky that I finally found a purpose for this one.

Tags
betta, manzanita, nano, plakat, spec