Critique the photo above you... - Page 28
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Photography

Old 10-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #406
VicSkimmr
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I hope y'all don't mind if I butt in even though I'm new

I like the subject, it's interesting and has great detail. The shot looks in focus and the exposure is on point. The editing looks a little over baked to me though, is it an HDR? I wish there weren't so many distracting elements as well (the reflections).

I doubt anyone wants to see car pictures, so I'll go with one from our vacation this year:

I always second guess my editing so I'd love to here some criticism.
VicSkimmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 05:10 PM   #407
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
Really neat shot. Love the perspective and it came out looking pretty darn good for a cell phone shot. Any processing done to it? Only thing I would have liked to see is maybe his eye being in focus, but that's certainly not anything that ruins this shot. I like it alot.

Here's a shot a from walk about I did last week...

Thank you. It is one of my favorites and is framed. I too wish the eye could have been in better focus, especially since the petals are visible in the eye. I edited it by cropping the picture just a tad to bring attention to the "sniffing" of the flower. The original had all the petals and a bunch of leaves that caught attention.
Your photo is interesting. I like that you took it from a slight angle instead of the usual straight on. It would be neat to see this same shot at night when the windows are not lit up by the sun (careful the flash doesn't light them up tho!) I have to look to see your locations now, as I'm curious where the Masonic Temple is.
Amandas tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:13 AM   #408
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Thanks to both of you. To answer the question, it is not HDR but I did process it using a Topaz plugin through photoshop.

I'd love to get back there at night. Might try to do that soon, maybe once Christmas lights start going up so I can shoot some of those as well. The temple is located in Winchester, VA.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:03 AM   #409
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicSkimmr View Post
I hope y'all don't mind if I butt in even though I'm new

I like the subject, it's interesting and has great detail. The shot looks in focus and the exposure is on point. The editing looks a little over baked to me though, is it an HDR? I wish there weren't so many distracting elements as well (the reflections).

I doubt anyone wants to see car pictures, so I'll go with one from our vacation this year:

I always second guess my editing so I'd love to here some criticism.
I absolutely love this shot. It could totally be framed and everything. The only difference I would do is perhaps tone down the sky once it reaches the inner 'third' of the photo to not be so white. And thats more personal preference more than anything. Excellent shot.

Here is my entry. Found this lil' guy on a leaf at the St. Louis Botanical gardens while on a tour with a group of plant nerds with the AGA convention.

-Caton

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:33 AM   #410
TickleMyElmo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Plant Man View Post
I absolutely love this shot. It could totally be framed and everything. The only difference I would do is perhaps tone down the sky once it reaches the inner 'third' of the photo to not be so white. And thats more personal preference more than anything. Excellent shot.

Here is my entry. Found this lil' guy on a leaf at the St. Louis Botanical gardens while on a tour with a group of plant nerds with the AGA convention.

Pic

-Caton
Caton I've been noticing and keeping an eye on the pics you've been posting lately and studying your pictures from afar for a few months now. I just wanted to say you have "it". I don't say that often to people at all, in fact you're like the 3rd person I've ever said that to. By "it", I mean you have the innate talent to shoot professionally or very seriously as an amateur. Photography may not be your career goal, but I can tell you have "it". Even if you don't shoot in manual mode, you have the predisposition to be able to create interesting compositions. I can tell it wasn't by accident with any of your pictures. It doesn't matter what lens you used or the depth of field. It's there.

You still have much to learn and I encourage you to continue to develop your photography skills, but you have the underlying framework to become successful in photography.

Anybody can learn the technical side of photography and create technically decent photos, but some people just cant and never will develop "it". Its subconscious, and I don't think it can be taught, you either have it or you don't.

You have it. Use it wisely, continue to grow.

You can all call me crazy, but I can tell...
TickleMyElmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:35 AM   #411
amphirion
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

in reference to the photo above, sweet composition, and vibrant color capture. focus is awesome- right in the face. great perspective too.

mind if i join in the fray?

shot was taken during our day in the caves of the nuban mountain region in Sudan, this one is one of my favorites out of the whole trip.

Last edited by amphirion; 11-10-2012 at 06:36 AM.. Reason: details...
amphirion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #412
Algae Beater
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:

-Caton
wow they have Phelsuma madagarensis grandis running around freely?
Algae Beater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #413
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

Yep. I had to keep a few school kids there were from trying to catch it. Thanks for ID'ing it.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Old 11-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #414
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

@ticklemyelmo

I am absolutely honored for such an experienced and well respected photographer to say such a thing. And I do plan to continue on with photography as a way to help pay for some things (as in, semi-pro). I am going to Israel for 8 weeks in two months and I hope to have saved enough to either get a D600 and if that doesn't work out, at least a better lens and speedlight. But at least I have a DSLR and a kit lens rather than a point n' shoot. Thank you for your compliment.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
Old 11-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #415
TickleMyElmo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
in reference to the photo above, sweet composition, and vibrant color capture. focus is awesome- right in the face. great perspective too.

mind if i join in the fray?

shot was taken during our day in the caves of the nuban mountain region in Sudan, this one is one of my favorites out of the whole trip.
Not horrible, but its compositionally weak. It would have been better for the person on the right to be farther into the frame, or perhaps a slightly different angle and perhaps just a tad shallower depth of field to add a little bit of storytelling to the picture.

Here's a self portrait I call: "As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a [photography] gangster." lol!

TickleMyElmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #416
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

I really like this photo. Its dark and mysterious and gives the feel like something is going to jump into the frame and take you. Lighting is very creative and the watermark actually adds to the drama IMO. Well done, Sir.

This is another photo I took while in St. louis at the botanical gardens. Its missing something and I can't decide what. Help me out?

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
Old 11-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #417
daitran89
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)

one of my favorite engagement photo i took last winter!

http://500px.com/photo/3546120

canon 5d mark ii w/ canon 35 1.4 L lense f1.8 | iso 1250 | 1/80 sec

daitran89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #418
fplata
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

Quote:

This is another photo I took while in St. louis at the botanical gardens. Its missing something and I can't decide what. Help me out?

Great depth of field, and feel of motion, I love it and will love to see it in B&W. (it might look good in B&W heavy on the red filter) I do not think is missing anything at all
fplata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:40 PM   #419
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daitran89 View Post

Just as a reminder, in order to post a photo you have to critique somebody else's.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
Old 11-11-2012, 11:31 PM   #420
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daitran89 View Post

Pretty good. Although not as sharp as I would like. I would have gone with a deeper depth of field. While the angle is very creative, I would have gone a little bit more head on by a few degrees. Love how you kept some color in the hat.

(just a quick link to my previous photo in B&W) http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8201/8...890860c7_k.jpg

And now the real photo:

Photo was taken at St. Louis zoo.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1