Critique the photo above you... - Page 27
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Photography

Old 10-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #391
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Plant Man View Post
DSC_0111.jpg by DaPlantMan, on Flickr

Better?

Negative. Too much like selective coloring...something most photographers would consider a fad. If the weather condition isn't good. you just have to accept it is what it is. Or don't shoot and put your camera away.

Canon Pimp Club #005
tetra73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 08:54 PM   #392
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adri. View Post
Gorgeous shot of the spider, very sharp. I just wish that I could see his eyes/face.

I always wanted to try the picture where everything is b/w except one point.

And here's another of the current foster dog.
I love your picture of the dog. Being at ground level and shooting just over the tops of the grass really bring in the feeling of the dog and play. The dogs intense gaze towards the pink toy with the dark green of the grass just makes this photo pop IMO. I would love to paint something like this! Job well done! Your black and white pic with the red lips is pretty cool. I think the woman would really pop out if there was a touch more contrast between her and the background which would = Stunning

My 3 pics were all taken with my cell phone and then tweaked online with Picasa Web Albums. I hope 3 isn't too many. It was hard to choose which pictures to share.

Here's a pic of our past Pit Bull Ozzy. I wanted a shot to show the details of his face and the kindness in his eyes.

The next pic is out youngest daughter. It is highly saturated pic. I was trying to achieve the feeling of the sweltering sun, the scratchy sand and the sunburned skin.

and here is our youngest son with his 2X Great Grandmother who is 102 in this picture. It was taken in a caffeteria with a lot of clutter. I tried to eliminate the background completely.

Amandas tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:02 PM   #393
concepts88
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandas tank View Post

The next pic is out youngest daughter. It is highly saturated pic. I was trying to achieve the feeling of the sweltering sun, the scratchy sand and the sunburned skin.
Some crisp shots, the above shot looks overexposed a bit. I am not sure if you did this in post processing. Also, it would have benefited if your subject was off center, following the 3rds rule.
Nikon Pimp #82
concepts88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:04 PM   #394
etane
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/88%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra73 View Post
I edited the shot a bit if you don't mind. I straightened the building. Lightening up your mid tone since the original shot looks a bit dark or underexposed.
This can become a photoshop meme. Here's my intepretation.

And, here's my submission.

Oh, and no complaints about Tetra's pics from me. It's crazy good.

(Crap someone submitted something above me while I was photoshopping... ahwellz.)
Old 10-26-2012, 09:06 PM   #395
concepts88
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Plant Man View Post

DSC_0111.jpg by DaPlantMan, on Flickr

Better?
This doesnt work because there are still too many colors after isolation.
Nikon Pimp #82
concepts88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #396
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sorry all. I completely got lost in all of the pages of pictures and critiques and didn't follow the directions when it was my turn! And I posted 3 pics instead of only ONE! Sorry!

Tetra73, Your first picture is like the pics my Uncle takes. He is a photographer with older models of cameras. So, I found it quite interesting since I've never seen this done by anyone else besides him.I really like the angle you took picture #2. It makes me want to walk around the corner to see whats there. The 3rd picture is missing something. When I first saw it, my eyes automatically scanned the photo looking for something more, then realize it's the red leaf tree. I would say that the foreground should be shortened, eliminating the bottom section with the lighter colored grass which will bring the trees more into the line of view at first glance. The 4th shot is intriguing. I would like to be on a small paddle boat floating through the green. Of course, looks like boats aren't allowed on that water. Nice picture.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:23 PM   #397
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

etane, I really like the saturated darks in your pic - it brings a mysterious mood to the shot. However there is some kind of post just left of center that gets in my way, and the light shining through under the left door fights for being a focal point. I would have stepped closer to the doorway and framed it tighter, eliminating the distractions - other than those two small things, I think it's a great image! It makes me want to know more about the people in the room, like a story.

Just had to add my two cents on amandas tank pic of the child on the beach. I feel just the opposite of the critique; I grew up in a beach front home on Long Island Sound, and this image captures perfectly for me a nostalgic feeling of what the bright noon sun was like on the beach. I think the overexposure and the candy colors are what make this a very appealing image (and memory!) for me : ) Oh, I do agree about the need for the focal point to be off center though!

Here's my pic, it's of my 13 yr old cat, Zazu. I don't like the bit of amber color behind her head (it looks like a weird ear, in fact it's part of the cat tree behind her) but trying to blend it out just made it more obvious and distracting to me...

The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #398
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Sorry all. I completely got lost in all of the pages of pictures and critiques and didn't follow the directions when it was my turn! And I posted 3 pics instead of only ONE! Sorry!
No biggie. The main idea is to critique the other photos. Even if sometimes you don't like to hear what's said, the feedback can be valuable in helping you make better pictures. I know for a fact, I certainly need all the help I can get...lol
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:52 PM   #399
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
Here's my pic, it's of my 13 yr old cat, Zazu. I don't like the bit of amber color behind her head (it looks like a weird ear, in fact it's part of the cat tree behind her) but trying to blend it out just made it more obvious and distracting to me...

I like the profile shot and the fact that the cat isn't looking at the camera...just kinda doing her own thing. The eye is nice and in focus and there is decent separation in the fur around the focal point which seems to be hard to capture in black animals.

Here is a cat submission of my own...

Old 10-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #400
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
I like the profile shot and the fact that the cat isn't looking at the camera...just kinda doing her own thing. The eye is nice and in focus and there is decent separation in the fur around the focal point which seems to be hard to capture in black animals.

Here is a cat submission of my own...

Beautiful. The texture and details of the fur is touchable. I like the little bit of pink that shows below the nose. Very nice photograph.

I love cats, and thought I'd jump in here and put a picture of one of my cats.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #401
ZLogic
Planted Tank Obsessed

I love the gold frog above me. I've been reading about starting a habitat for some sort of dart or tree frog in my 40 hex that sprung a leak. The snake has a seriously smug look on his face. I bet he flexes in front of the mirror :-D
ZLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:12 PM   #402
mechtec
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I love cats, and thought I'd jump in here and put a picture of one of my cats.
[/QUOTE]

very good capture, crisp and sharp details, all you need now is a good background.

here's one i did awhile ago... really didn't like it much, but it's been growing on me.

gary
Canon Pimp Club #059

Last edited by mechtec; 10-28-2012 at 01:22 AM.. Reason: what?
mechtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:04 PM   #403
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looks like we're at a stand still so I'm going to jump in again! I enjoy this thread and don't want it to end yet!
I thought the rose was a bit too dark the first time I saw the picture, but now looking at it again I love it. The picture being on the darker side allows the viewer to "see" the velvety texture of the petals. I think if the photo had been brighter it would have added a crispness to the rose taking away from the true feeling. Good shot!

Here's another picture from my cell phone. My 1 year old son smelling a flower.
Click image for larger version

Name:	braydens first bus ride 003.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	56136

Last edited by Amandas tank; 10-29-2012 at 11:48 PM.. Reason: pic attachment not working
Old 10-29-2012, 11:50 PM   #404
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Looks like we're at a stand still so I'm going to jump in again! I enjoy this thread and don't want it to end yet!
I thought the rose was a bit too dark the first time I saw the picture, but now looking at it again I love it. The picture being on the darker side allows the viewer to "see" the velvety texture of the petals. I think if the photo had been brighter it would have added a crispness to the rose taking away from the true feeling. Good shot!
This thread goes quite now and then but picks back up. It's a good thread I think and whoever started it is awesome for doing so....hahaha

Seriously though, on the rose, yeah, it is kinda odd that at quick glance it's just kinda mah....but then it really kinda grows on you. It's almost Valentines Day card kinda stuff. I do like it, the darkness adds in this case more than detracts.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:52 PM   #405
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Here's another picture from my cell phone. My 1 year old son smelling a flower.
Attachment 56136
Really neat shot. Love the perspective and it came out looking pretty darn good for a cell phone shot. Any processing done to it? Only thing I would have liked to see is maybe his eye being in focus, but that's certainly not anything that ruins this shot. I like it alot.

Here's a shot a from walk about I did last week...

Last edited by Nubster; 10-30-2012 at 12:11 AM.. Reason: add photo