Critique the photo above you... - Page 17
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Photography

Old 06-18-2012, 02:57 AM   #241
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)

Haha thanks man. I think that yours is great, love the absence of the distracting background. I like that it's centered as it seems to fit the photo well. If I were the one taking it, I would get closer/zoom/crop to get a tighter shot. Only other thing I see is the blurriness towards the eyes. I do t know if he moved, or of it was just a really wide aperture that caused it but it's just a tiny bit distracting.

This was a shot that I didn't even realized I'd taken until I got home. It makes a really fantastic desktop background.

Advertisement

Old 06-18-2012, 03:33 AM   #242
swissian
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)

Very nice! I love the texture of the clouds. I wish that the center o the palm was a bit more clear but with the sun behind it, I'm not sure it us possible.

Texas Canyon:
swissian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:09 AM   #243
TickleMyElmo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissian View Post
Very nice! I love the texture of the clouds. I wish that the center o the palm was a bit more clear but with the sun behind it, I'm not sure it us possible.

Texas Canyon:
Hmmm, looks like it could use a bit wider of a perspective, but closer....like super wide angle...say 14mm on full frame...

Here's one from a photoshoot I did today. I'm backlogged on posting anything, but I was skimming through the shots after I got home and I really like this one, because this is exactly the vision I had in mind when I was setting it up

TickleMyElmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:17 PM   #244
etane
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/88%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickleMyElmo View Post
Hmmm, looks like it could use a bit wider of a perspective, but closer....like super wide angle...say 14mm on full frame...

Here's one from a photoshoot I did today. I'm backlogged on posting anything, but I was skimming through the shots after I got home and I really like this one, because this is exactly the vision I had in mind when I was setting it up

It looks like a good capture of both nature and human expression. I don't think I can offer anything in terms of possible improvements. Just curious what the shot would look like had you use a slightly wider angle lens or had you lowered the tripod (sort of speak) by a foot or two while angling the lens up a few degrees to compensate. edit: One more thing, try cropping out all the dark clouds basically somewhere above the line that sits in between the horizon and your logo. Sorry, took liberty to do so with ms paint (don't have ps on my work laptop).

Removed

Here's a street shot in NYC after the rain:

Last edited by etane; 06-19-2012 at 05:08 PM..
etane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:06 AM   #245
sketch804
Wannabe Guru

I actually really like this picture! The filter on it is something different that you don't see much but it works very well in this instance. Usually a filter of that type seems to take away from the picture and distorts it too much to really look good, but this is NOT the case in your picture. Well what draws my eye, and that is the guy in the middle that to me looks a little crazy, don't ask me why! Now the only constructive criticism I have is I wish parts of the picture like the edges or above the stand were a little brighter. But over all I enjoy it, good job!

Here's one of mine that I took here this past weekend. Also, please remember this is a cell phone shot, but I did adjust it a very little with Paint Shop Pro 7. It is a picture from the James River in Richmond, Va.
sketch804 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:35 AM   #246
TickleMyElmo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by etane View Post
It looks like a good capture of both nature and human expression. I don't think I can offer anything in terms of possible improvements. Just curious what the shot would look like had you use a slightly wider angle lens or had you lowered the tripod (sort of speak) by a foot or two while angling the lens up a few degrees to compensate. edit: One more thing, try cropping out all the dark clouds basically somewhere above the line that sits in between the horizon and your logo. Sorry, took liberty to do so with ms paint (don't have ps on my work laptop).

Here's a street shot in NYC after the rain:
Yeah, I have some similar shots that are a little different, and I just found one I like even better! The dark clouds were put in on purpose though Would you mind taking down your edit? Reason being I want the watermark on there, I know anyone could easily remove it or crop it out, but I don't want another version without it floating around, lets not make it that easy for them lol!
Old 06-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #247
dannylill1981
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

no picture above me but here are mine i offer for critique,

Eos 450D with 18/55mm kit lens.

i need to learn how to take pictures in raw and process them, anyone have any good guides?
dannylill1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #248
sketch804
Wannabe Guru

I am above you but eh, oh well
Old 06-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #249
dannylill1981
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch804 View Post
I am above you but eh, oh well
sorry bud wasnt paying attention, its good for a cell phone shot, which phone you use? Beautiful shot, a little under exposed, but to be expected for a cell phone. wish there were places like this near me.........
Old 06-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #250
sketch804
Wannabe Guru

ha thanks much, well I am actually using a Nokia E71 for that one, it was a photo of opportunity. But I had to edit it very slightly to try and correct the over exposure. I appreciate it!!

But I also got to say I really like the picture of the car from your pix. It is so crisp, clean and there is an obvious clear focus in it..the lights in the background are my favorite part of the picture!
Old 06-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #251
dannylill1981
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch804 View Post
ha thanks much, well I am actually using a Nokia E71 for that one, it was a photo of opportunity. But I had to edit it very slightly to try and correct the over exposure. I appreciate it!!

But I also got to say I really like the picture of the car from your pix. It is so crisp, clean and there is an obvious clear focus in it..the lights in the background are my favorite part of the picture!
thanks man, its was my mates car, photo was taken with a tripod, longish exposure and timer so no camera shake, was so pleased with the star effect considering there was no filter on my camera......
Old 06-22-2012, 02:24 AM   #252
TickleMyElmo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylill1981 View Post
thanks man, its was my mates car, photo was taken with a tripod, longish exposure and timer so no camera shake, was so pleased with the star effect considering there was no filter on my camera......
It's because it was taken at f/7.1 and your FinePix S6500fd has a 7 bladed aperture diaphram, FYI...

Also, I had some more time to sift through the pictures from the engagement session I previously posted, and THIS is my favorite shot! I posted the other one when I was just going through them real quick, but this is my real favorite!...

Old 06-22-2012, 03:36 AM   #253
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)

Very cool, love the waves crashing on to the rocks while the couple kiss. Crisp, color is cool. But feel the watermark should be somewhere else or a little different.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:26 AM   #254
dannylill1981
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickleMyElmo View Post
It's because it was taken at f/7.1 and your FinePix S6500fd has a 7 bladed aperture diaphram, FYI...

Also, I had some more time to sift through the pictures from the engagement session I previously posted, and THIS is my favorite shot! I posted the other one when I was just going through them real quick, but this is my real favorite!...

Thanks man, yeah the one of my cat and the car were taken with my old camera, I have an Eos 450d now and its taking some getting used too..... Nice pic btw love the composition, although i kinda agree about the watermark being moved, its distracting.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:19 AM   #255
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

I'm commenting on EM's bird, I love the subject it couldn't be more interesting I want to see more so a larger photo would be nice.

This is my dog as the Thinker? I've always liked this one but lets see what you think.
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote