Which powerhead to use for a CO2 reactor
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 06-04-2003, 01:55 PM   #1
dosmond
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hi guys, I'm a newbie here and I have a question? :? I want to make a CO2 reactor for a 10 gallon tank using the method posted at http://www.plantedtank.net/co2reactor.html but I am concerned about using the RIO 600 or an equivalent powerhead because of the 200 GPH specs. Would this be overkill for such a tank. I know they suggest the water should circulate 5-6 times the size of your tank, so for my 10 gallon tank I should need a minimum of 50 GPH. My current CO2 level is 3-4 ppm based on the pH KH chart at Chucks planted Aqurium page.

What size powerhead would you recommend. TIA

-------------------------------------------------------------------
10 Gallon Tank
pH 7.6
KH 80ppm, 4.5dKH
UGF using airstones
java ferns and wisteria
2 guppies
2 baby guppies
1 Pleco
1 Kuhli Loach
dosmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2003, 03:13 PM   #2
digger
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to digger

If you use the output of the powerhead to shoot water into your reactor, you should have no problem. If you are using the intake of the powerhead to pull the water through the reactor, it may get a bit turbulent.
digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 01:43 PM   #3
dosmond
Algae Grower

Thanks.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:44 PM   #4
Slaigar
Planted Member

I want to try the same thing. But I do believe that the Rio 600 would totally rip my 10g apart. I am thinking of using the Rio 50(69gph) or 90(85gph).

The way I would have to position reactor is horizontal since it is too long to place vertical. I am hoping this will not make a big difference.
Slaigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 06:21 AM   #5
JonMulzer
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JonMulzer Send a message via MSN to JonMulzer Send a message via Yahoo to JonMulzer

It will probably cause problems unless you come up with an inventive solution. The main idea behind a reactor is to have the water run counter-current to the CO2. In other words you want the water to flow down while the CO@ bubbles try to float up. That was you get the most dwell time and the bubbles are exposed to the maximum amount of water. Another benefit to the powerhead/gravel vac reactor is that if the CO2 makes it to the top the impeller of the powerhead breaks it up into a fine mist. With the tube situated horizontally the bubbles will just shoot out the end with less time to dissolve. If you do it that way you may as well inject the bubbles at the inlet of the powerhead and do away with the gravel vac tube.

Just my $.02
Old 06-10-2003, 01:06 AM   #6
Slaigar
Planted Member

Thank you for the explanation. I may have to rethink on how I should place this in the tank. But I shall try horizontal first for the sake of simplicity and ease. A diagonal position may be the second best unless I go for a smaller tube that fits vertical.

Next week when I get the rest of the supplies I will see how it turns out.
Slaigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 02:42 PM   #7
dosmond
Algae Grower

Hi guys I got the reactor up and running last night and I'm happy to say it appears to be working great. The RIO 600 when attached to the reactor doesn't even mildly stir up the gravel. One problem I did have though was when I first place the pump in the tank I get vapor lock unless I remember to tilt it to remove any air. Thanks for your help.
java ferns, wisteria, dwarf saggitaria,Water Primrose
too many guppies to count,1 Kuhli Loach, 2 oto's