Available for sale, shipping starting 1/30/12 - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Invertebrates by Msjinkzd

Old 02-01-2012, 11:34 PM   #31
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

Sent pm on quote for shipping
kwheeler91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2012, 04:42 AM   #32
Doc7
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjinkzd View Post
because as ammonia is produced through waste, it drives teh pH down, rendering the ammonia non-toxic. There is no exchange of gas. When you allow the exchange of gas, it allows the pH to stay stable (in my case moderately hard) and allows teh ammonia to become exponentially more toxic.

Does this have an impact, in your opinion, on how one should acclimate a fish shipped this way? I've read of this before but never really considered if it takes "Drip acclimation" out of the equation.

I drip-acclimated the last load of fish from you with no problems : ) But wondering if you instead recommend a more drastic, "take out 25% of the water and replace with tank water, repeat" approach instead which I think would dilute said ammonia levels faster.
New Jersey? Nearby State? Join the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club!! Meetups, Swaps, Local Members to discuss your tank, issues, and accomplishments!
NJAGC Member since 11/2011
Doc7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 05:09 AM   #33
Bakuphoon
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc7 View Post
Does this have an impact, in your opinion, on how one should acclimate a fish shipped this way? I've read of this before but never really considered if it takes "Drip acclimation" out of the equation.

I drip-acclimated the last load of fish from you with no problems : ) But wondering if you instead recommend a more drastic, "take out 25% of the water and replace with tank water, repeat" approach instead which I think would dilute said ammonia levels faster.
I've bought other fish off of Aquabid and one seller I've bought from had specific instructions that say to dump the fish straight into the tank after you open the bags(for the reason Msjinkzd stated), and I've done this with all the fish I've bought online since, including the order I just got on tuesday and all my fish are still alive (I have two shrimp unaccounted for, but I think they're just hiding) and have colored back up.
Bakuphoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #34
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

PTrader: (205/100%)
Send a message via AIM to msjinkzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc7 View Post

Once the bag is opened, the gas exchange occurs allowing the ammonia present to regain toxicity. If you are going to drip acclimate, you should add a drop of water conditioned to help detoxify the ammonia in teh shipping water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakuphoon View Post
I've bought other fish off of Aquabid and one seller I've bought from had specific instructions that say to dump the fish straight into the tank after you open the bags(for the reason Msjinkzd stated), and I've done this with all the fish I've bought online since, including the order I just got on tuesday and all my fish are still alive (I have two shrimp unaccounted for, but I think they're just hiding) and have colored back up.
If they arrive express and seem fine, then you can float them to temp acclimate then I recommend plop and drop method (dump into a net over a bucket and add immediately to the tank). If priority, its usually better to just get them out of the shipping water and into the tank unless they are dramatically cold.
msjinkzd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #35
TWINSCREWED
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Great info on acclimating. Should any consideration be put into sensitive species with respect to water hardness? I know my water is extremely soft comparitive to other parts of the country (gh & kh <2). Or is the toxicity more of a concern? Hmm a narrative on this would be a great topic for your new website.

Last edited by TWINSCREWED; 02-02-2012 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: typo
TWINSCREWED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #36
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

I will have to work on that!

I know that its easier for fish to go from soft to hard, then hard water to soft. I will have to do some digging and see if there are any papers out there that I can do a write up and cite from.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #37
szenic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (55/100%)

Any pics of the Neocaridina "blueberry"?
szenic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #38
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

on my website!
http://msjinkzd.com/species/shrimp/n...ata-blueberry/
Old 02-03-2012, 03:55 AM   #39
akm
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default fish and shrimp arrived today

Thank you Rachel! The fish and shrimp arrived today, everyone has settled in nicely and looks great, as always!
akm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 04:07 AM   #40
Tanman19az
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (75/100%)

Thanks for info on the drip acclimation! So just a drop of Prime when you start the acclimation?
Tanman19az is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 04:14 AM   #41
larcat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Seconding this! Both rounds of livestock we have gotten from you have been amazing, and everything is still alive

We got our plants for this tank from Jeff Arsenault, who was saying nice things about you FYI

Seems we happily stumbled into two of the better providers of plants and fish/shrimp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm View Post

Thank you Rachel! The fish and shrimp arrived today, everyone has settled in nicely and looks great, as always!
larcat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #42
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm View Post

Excellent!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanman19az View Post
Thanks for info on the drip acclimation! So just a drop of Prime when you start the acclimation?
Yes, that should help detoxify any accumulated ammonia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by larcat View Post
Seconding this! Both rounds of livestock we have gotten from you have been amazing, and everything is still alive

We got our plants for this tank from Jeff Arsenault, who was saying nice things about you FYI

Seems we happily stumbled into two of the better providers of plants and fish/shrimp!
Ahh, Jeff is fantastic! I have plants coming from him as well this week I am glad things are doing well!
Old 02-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #43
jrwestcoast
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)

Are the zebra otos still in QT?
jrwestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #44
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

Yup, but i ordered another 100 to better meet demand

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2012, 02:23 AM   #45
h4n
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (713/100%)

Loving the new updated site rachel!!!
Still waiting on them zerbra Otos like everyone else!! lol
h4n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.