The Planted Tank Forum banner

Aquascaping--Underwater Ikebana?

12K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Seiryoku 
#1 ·
Moving this post from a brainstorming thread. Here is an interesting link I found on a design for an Asian theme tank. I'm working on trying this in my next nano undertaking. I find this is becoming a pastime more about design than anything else--kind of an underwater version of japanese flower arranging.

Comments on this link? What kinds of ideas does it give you?

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/show_article.php?article_id=147

Figs

#3 ·
I wonder if that cladophora has grown in yet? I've used a section as a front carpet in my 5.5 gallon office tank. It looks pretty lush and nice as a carpet.

#4 ·
Figgy - is this the first "Aquascaping" thread? If so, congrats! :proud:

I don't know anything about Japanese flower arranging. But from what I've seen of it, it has a lot in common with early Japanese art. There's as much importance in what's there, as what's not there. Over here I believe we call it "negative" space. But it's the use of that negative space that give it balance and form.

I think that's the same with a planted tank. If we don't manger that negative space, it's just a tank full of pretty plants. No compelling form or balance. But I digress.

I think the bamboo looks cool. In your link I like that varying heights, that gap in the middle, and the fact that the two groups are asymmetrical. I'm sure there's some "golden ratio" stuff going on here somewhere. But I can't say I understand it, or know how to recognize it. :confused:

#5 ·
Aquascaping -- Underwater Ikebana?

Very cool, Figgy - I think you should go for it!

Being new to aquascaping and trying to develop my "eye," not to mention my skills - I'd like to take a crack at my initial impression...

I really dig the bamboo. However - I'm not overly thrilled with the plants used. I think the bamboo has a "density" that would be better served by more delicate plants, if that makes any sense... I'm not about to start recommending any at this point - more research first! But I would lean towards plants that would subtly indicate more "movement." Maybe some vals or sags - willowy grassy looking stuff of different heights. I like the Hygro, but maybe not so much of it. The crypt to the right of the little river looks almost as if it was abandoned there... I do like the little "river" off center. I don't really like the choice of gouramis either. I love them, but they aren't working for me in this aquascape. Of course - I am not up on my Asian backwater species of fish OR plants - I'm only sharing my visual impression.

Anyhoo - that's my take on it! I like the idea and I would like to see what you do with it, Figs!

Kathy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.