**Official TPT NIKON Pimp Club** Join us instead, Canon has cooties! - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Photography

Old 01-31-2012, 03:24 AM   #76
AesopRocks247
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'm #18??
D90
60mm micro,24mm prime, 50mm 1.4 prime, 18-105vr, 55-200vr, SB-400 with off camera extension.
AesopRocks247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2012, 03:32 AM   #77
TickleMyElmo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AesopRocks247 View Post
I'm #18??
Sure!

#001 - TickleMyElmo
#002 - SkyGrl
#003 - jahmic
#004 - scream-aim-fire
#005 - Moody636
#006 -Assassynation
#007 - Da Plant Man
#008 - zainey_04
#009 - AzFishKid
#010 - msjinkzd
#011 - manini
#012 - Nubster
#013 - bsmith
#014 - Minja
#015 - jeepn4x4
#016 - lonnie123
#017 - nvladik
#018 - AesopRocks247
#019 -
#020 -
TickleMyElmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:01 AM   #78
zainey_04
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

Thank for the suggestions guys. I am definitely interested in the SB600, but I wont be able to afford it for a while. I was hoping for other options in the $0- 100 dollar range

- Zain
zainey_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:29 AM   #79
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

IF it helps, I paid $100 for my SB-600 used. Look around, deals can be found.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:31 AM   #80
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Guess I am just an old fart then. I do prepress setup and run digital "presses". I use computers all day. I've got 6 at home I use. 3 at work. PC's and 1 Mac. I shoot both film and digital. More digital than film anymore though. I am pretty good with the Adobe Suite. Well at least good enough they got me to pre public beta test CS5 last year. It's not that digital isn't as good. It has a different feel. Digital is either on or off. (Binary) Yes it can be on or off to really small amount but analog can be "a tad"
As for us film guys: Unless you are truly doing a wet process and it's not scanned it's film quality. If the processing company scans and then prints it is no better than digital. You lose the film qualities as soon as it gets into the digital realm.

Many of the old lenses are better. One thing I've noticed about the generations after mine. They seem to want a lot if things but will accept lesser quality. I often wonder if they realize what quality really is. We are, and have been for a while a throw away society. Just because they tell you it's the latest and the greatest doesn't make it so. The old things were made to last.
I sure can think of some older things that certanly werent made to last but I do set your point. Perhaps your a bit more nostalgic about it than others though.

Since I have only had my entry DSL a bit over a year I can't speak to its lasting dependability but this far it has not fiven me even the slightest hint that if kept well, wouldn't be used 20 years from now.

I would have to think I would fall in the generation after you (29) and will agree some may not be aware if what quality is but I'm not sure that is all our own fault. I personally get a warm felling and am satisfied with myself when I purchase something that I deem to be of high quality and really seek to own only the highest quality objects in there respective genre. I also find myself telling members on these forums to save up for a better quality product (eheim v Chinese knockoff) as it will payoff in the end. One of the most memorable discussions I have had though was with a member from the generation prior to mine though. They actually told me that since the lesser product was so much cheaper that to him the value was found in the fact he could just purchase a whole new cheapo filter (and would happily) if the filter he owned had a component break and that he couldn't just purchase that broken part...

That blew my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
I'd like to say, I miss slide film! I'm relatively new to digital (less than 5 years) and one thing is obvious to me - to nail film photos, you had to know your stuff. Today, anyone can take a mediocre photo, run it through endless post processing, and fix problems the easy way out. Take a thousand photos at a time to get a handful of decent ones? No problem! Do that with film, and you'd force yourself fast enough to learn how to use the equipment...
I belong to a Canon forum, and almost every poster talks more about their post processing more than they take about the experience of taking the photo...

I'm trying to wrap my head around taking pix with a film camera then having the time it takes to develop those shots to see your mistakes. How on earth could you remember exactly what you were doing or what your settings were to know what you need to change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickleMyElmo View Post
They more than likely just didn't need the f/1.4 speed. Some people are perfectly content with f/1.8 being the fastest aperture available, and would rather have the $$ difference in their pockets. If you need f/1.4, then you need f/1.4, no way around it...otherwise most people are fine with f/1.8

And yes, I have several lenses that are that expensive, and I too routinely buy lenses on FM. It most definitely is worth it if you're looking for the best image quality possible, and especially so if you're using it for professional use.

Also, f/1.4 does not make it good for macro shots. In fact, there's no macro lens that I know of that goes to f/1.4, most only go to f/2.8...

Actually, the new 70-200 2.8 VRII goes for around $1950 to $2,300 used. Brand news it's a $2400 lens like you said. The older 70 -200 2.8 VRI goes for $1500 used, but its the older first generation model, and it doesn't do so well on FX (extreme vignetting)...

Sweet! You're #017...

#001 - TickleMyElmo
#002 - SkyGrl
#003 - jahmic
#004 - scream-aim-fire
#005 - Moody636
#006 -Assassynation
#007 - Da Plant Man
#008 - zainey_04
#009 - AzFishKid
#010 - msjinkzd
#011 - manini
#012 - Nubster
#013 - bsmith
#014 - Minja
#015 - jeepn4x4
#016 - lonnie123
#017 - nvladik
#018 -
#019 -
#020 -

I would also recommend the Nikon SB-600...
From what I read in this post a 50mm f1.4/.8 prime could be used as an excellent macro lens. Did I miss interpret something?
bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:11 AM   #81
TickleMyElmo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith View Post
I sure can think of some older things that certanly werent made to last but I do set your point. Perhaps your a bit more nostalgic about it than others though.

Since I have only had my entry DSL a bit over a year I can't speak to its lasting dependability but this far it has not fiven me even the slightest hint that if kept well, wouldn't be used 20 years from now.

I would have to think I would fall in the generation after you (29) and will agree some may not be aware if what quality is but I'm not sure that is all our own fault. I personally get a warm felling and am satisfied with myself when I purchase something that I deem to be of high quality and really seek to own only the highest quality objects in there respective genre. I also find myself telling members on these forums to save up for a better quality product (eheim v Chinese knockoff) as it will payoff in the end. One of the most memorable discussions I have had though was with a member from the generation prior to mine though. They actually told me that since the lesser product was so much cheaper that to him the value was found in the fact he could just purchase a whole new cheapo filter (and would happily) if the filter he owned had a component break and that he couldn't just purchase that broken part...

That blew my mind.

I'm trying to wrap my head around taking pix with a film camera then having the time it takes to develop those shots to see your mistakes. How on earth could you remember exactly what you were doing or what your settings were to know what you need to change?

From what I read in this post a 50mm f1.4/.8 prime could be used as an excellent macro lens. Did I miss interpret something?
Yes, a 50mm f/1.4 lens is not a macro lens, and there has never been a 50mm f/1.4 macro lens. People recommend the 50mm f/1.4 and 50mm f/1.8 lenses because they are relatively cheap, but they are NOT macro lenses.

The only macro lenses Nikon makes have the word "Micro" in their titles. People tend to mess up and think when they get a semi-close picture of a fish, that it is a macro picture. This is incorrect. Only actual macro lenses allow you to get to 1:1(aka macro) magnification with quality. Yes, there are extension tubes that allow you to get to 1:1(macro) magnification, but they result in poor image quality in comparison to an actual macro lens.

A 50mm f/1.4 and 50mm f/1.8 is simply a cheap, useful lens. The quality is obviously not as good as a $1500 and up lens, but it is better than the kit lens and they are cheap, which is why so many newb photographers recommend them.
TickleMyElmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:24 AM   #82
audioaficionado
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I like longer macro lenses as the working distance is longer and makes the subjects less nervous when you point the lens at them. I have a Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/4.0 that I've had for almost 40 years and a bellows set to go with it. It sure would be nice if I could use those lenses on the new Nikon camera bodies and have full functionality.

45 gal tall high-tech : 2-23-12 update
Complete CO2 Leak Test : How to build a CO2 regulator

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.

Last edited by audioaficionado; 02-03-2012 at 04:36 AM..
audioaficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:23 PM   #83
zainey_04
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
IF it helps, I paid $100 for my SB-600 used. Look around, deals can be found.
I actually just found on for $60. I probably should of searched before posting my previous reply .
Thanks

- Zain
Old 01-31-2012, 01:26 PM   #84
jahmic
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

Also worth remembering is that the 1.4 lens is noticeably heavier than the 1.8. With the slower of the 2 being lighter weight, less expensive, and fast enough for most...it tends to be the more popular option.

As to the question on darkroom developing and waiting to see your mistakes...call me nostalgic; but that's the beauty of film. You need to know your equipment, film, camera settings, even the paper you are going to use...and plan every shot. I used to buy bulk of 35mm film and roll my own cartridges with about 6 or 7 shots per roll. Why? Because I knew as the lighting changed I'd likely have to "push" or "pull" the film in processing to expose the image properly. Chances were that would change after 5 shots if I was outdoors. Once you master that technique, shooting medium and large format is...well...you really have to experience it...it's beyond enjoyable. Slows down the process and makes you think about every detail.

Do you make mistakes? Sure...but you learn to make less as you go. And when you start pulling slides out after exposure, marking them for appropriate developing times, and ending up with print after print of beautifully exposed images that print straight off your slide with no dodging or burning necessary...there really isn't a more satisfying experience for me in photography.

I definitely shoot more digital than film these days, and appreciate what I'm able to accomplish, but shooting in RAW and processing in Adobe almost feels like an autocorrect feature in comparison. Truth be told...I don't know my dslr nearly as well as my old 35mm slrs I have laying around. Sure it's a more complex system, but you really can skip a handful of steps when shooting digital.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:40 PM   #85
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zainey_04 View Post
I actually just found on for $60. I probably should of searched before posting my previous reply .
Thanks

- Zain
Nice. Jump on it because that's a steal. Most go for $200-250. I got lucky to get mine for $100. You might want to grab a powerball ticket this afternoon

Old 01-31-2012, 02:46 PM   #86
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahmic View Post
Also worth remembering is that the 1.4 lens is noticeably heavier than the 1.8. With the slower of the 2 being lighter weight, less expensive, and fast enough for most...it tends to be the more popular option.

As to the question on darkroom developing and waiting to see your mistakes...call me nostalgic; but that's the beauty of film. You need to know your equipment, film, camera settings, even the paper you are going to use...and plan every shot. I used to buy bulk of 35mm film and roll my own cartridges with about 6 or 7 shots per roll. Why? Because I knew as the lighting changed I'd likely have to "push" or "pull" the film in processing to expose the image properly. Chances were that would change after 5 shots if I was outdoors. Once you master that technique, shooting medium and large format is...well...you really have to experience it...it's beyond enjoyable. Slows down the process and makes you think about every detail.

Do you make mistakes? Sure...but you learn to make less as you go. And when you start pulling slides out after exposure, marking them for appropriate developing times, and ending up with print after print of beautifully exposed images that print straight off your slide with no dodging or burning necessary...there really isn't a more satisfying experience for me in photography.

I definitely shoot more digital than film these days, and appreciate what I'm able to accomplish, but shooting in RAW and processing in Adobe almost feels like an autocorrect feature in comparison. Truth be told...I don't know my dslr nearly as well as my old 35mm slrs I have laying around. Sure it's a more complex system, but you really can skip a handful of steps when shooting digital.
That does sound very enjoyable. I never got the chance to take any kind of classes in high school where I was able to develop any film. But I think learning the process would be really neat.
bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:04 PM   #87
zainey_04
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
Nice. Jump on it because that's a steal. Most go for $200-250. I got lucky to get mine for $100. You might want to grab a powerball ticket this afternoon
I think I will, but it seems my D5000 does not support commander mode so I cannot use this flash wirelessly. Would I be able to use a cheapo amazon radio transmitter to fire this flash wirelessly. I know I will lose some functionality. I need this confirmed before I can jump on this.

- Zain
Old 01-31-2012, 03:07 PM   #88
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

Heck, if it's in good shape buy it and I'll pay you for it. $60 for a SB-600 is a great deal. I'd love to have a second flash...haha

Old 01-31-2012, 03:53 PM   #89
zainey_04
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah, but I want to keep it for my self since I can still use it on my camera. So do you know if the above method will work for off camera shooting?

- Zain
Old 01-31-2012, 03:57 PM   #90
IWANNAGOFAST
I see LEDs

PTrader: (33/100%)

can i join? I don't even know what number i'd be haha
d3100 here
18-55mm kit lens, nikkor micro 40mm, sigma "macro" 70-300mm

The micro 40mm is a good prime lens but not that great for macro shots since you have to get super close, pretty much you have to have the lens hood on the tank glass to get a decent macro shot.

I'm on the lookout for the nikkor micro 85mm lens. Any thoughts on it?
IWANNAGOFAST is offline   Reply With Quote