**Official TPT NIKON Pimp Club** Join us instead, Canon has cooties! - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Photography


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 02:49 AM   #61
audioaficionado
Planted Tank Guru
 
audioaficionado's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Medford, Orygun
Posts: 2,198
Default

I still have my old Nikon F2 from 1976. Too bad the shutter froze up when the lubrication dried out. I'll have to get a new Nikon DSLR now. However I also love my P&S Canon PowerShot A590 IS.

X
__________________
Steve

45 gal tall high-tech : 2-23-12 update
Complete CO2 Leak Test : How to build a CO2 regulator


Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.

Last edited by audioaficionado; 07-20-2012 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: X
audioaficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-30-2012, 03:23 AM   #62
lonnie123
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: austin,tx
Posts: 14
Default

I love my f4 but lenses are so crazy expensive that I have only one lens that will fit on it my pride and joy 70-200 2.8 yes it works on the d7k but some of my other glass wont mostly have dx lenses
__________________
support your LFS that way when it messes up you have a REAL person to talk to

Nikon pimp club #16
http://rockymountaindiscus.com
lonnie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:43 AM   #63
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru
 
bsmith's Avatar
 
PTrader: (278/99%)
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: St.Louis, MO
Posts: 9,059
Default

Its funny to me that certain older (70's-80's) stereo equipment and now it seems cameras of the same vintage (did not know that) are considered by some to be superior in some ways than the new stuff. Since I'm a very scientific minded person and know that with computers (and most all electronics) its pretty much a universal truth that if you but the newest hottest baddest product that 18 months later there will be something out with twice the performance and half the cost. So its hard for me to believe this but I do also know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and some products are just classics/timeless/perpetually hot too.
bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:43 AM   #64
TickleMyElmo
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
TickleMyElmo's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 807
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith View Post
Its funny to me that certain older (70's-80's) stereo equipment and now it seems cameras of the same vintage (did not know that) are considered by some to be superior in some ways than the new stuff. Since I'm a very scientific minded person and know that with computers (and most all electronics) its pretty much a universal truth that if you but the newest hottest baddest product that 18 months later there will be something out with twice the performance and half the cost. So its hard for me to believe this but I do also know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and some products are just classics/timeless/perpetually hot too.
Eh, the old film cameras are fine for the purists and the old timers stuck in their ways, but digital is the way to go for anything professional and non hobbyist...

Film people just like to remember the good ol' days, a camera from the 70's and 80's is nowhere close to the pro cameras of today, anyone that tells you otherwise is an old fart who thinks all these computers and electro-nics are too futzy and that we should all be using smoke signals to communicate.....like in the good old days! lol...
TickleMyElmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:36 AM   #65
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru
 
bsmith's Avatar
 
PTrader: (278/99%)
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: St.Louis, MO
Posts: 9,059
Default

Good that makes more sense to me. I have leaarned so much over the past few days because of this thread. I was just looking through the FM classifieds at some lenses that are $3k! I'll never have one but I still wondered if a lens like that would really be worth it?

Also, something that is confusing me. I found a few people on different sites wanting to trade a 50mm f1.4 prime that had for a f1.8 prime. I'm assuming then that just because a lens may be faster it's not always better for all situations. Just ours really (meaning that a f1.4 prime will always be better for macro shots in our tanks)
bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #66
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru
 
Nubster's Avatar
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Romney, West Virginia
Posts: 3,550
Default

If you need it, then yeah, a $3k lens is worth it. But the average hobbyist, no. One of the Nikon standards though is the 70-200mm f/2.8. It's a $2400 lens and if you can afford it, it's a great lens to have. You can find them used routinely for about $1500. That's alot but it's a GREAT lens. Someday when I'm out of school I own one. For now though, I'll make do with my $400 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6.
__________________
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #67
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru
 
bsmith's Avatar
 
PTrader: (278/99%)
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: St.Louis, MO
Posts: 9,059
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
If you need it, then yeah, a $3k lens is worth it. But the average hobbyist, no. One of the Nikon standards though is the 70-200mm f/2.8. It's a $2400 lens and if you can afford it, it's a great lens to have. You can find them used routinely for about $1500. That's alot but it's a GREAT lens. Someday when I'm out of school I own one. For now though, I'll make do with my $400 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6.
Thats what I figured.

Can you or anyone else comment on the other question I had above about why someone would trade straight up their 50mm f1.4 prime for (which seems to me by the pricing when new and that it's just a faster lens) a 50mm f1.8 prime?
bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #68
nvladik
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 735
Default

I'll join. D7000 here with Tamron 18-270 lens.
nvladik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #69
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru
 
Nubster's Avatar
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Romney, West Virginia
Posts: 3,550
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith View Post
Thats what I figured.

Can you or anyone else comment on the other question I had above about why someone would trade straight up their 50mm f1.4 prime for (which seems to me by the pricing when new and that it's just a faster lens) a 50mm f1.8 prime?
I can't think of a good reason. The cheapest new 50mm f/1.4 that I have seen is $300 compared to around $110 for the 50mm f/1.8. I'd say though, if you can get an even trade and the f/1.4 is in good shape with sharp, clean optics, I'd make that trade all day long. If nothing else you can resell the f/1.4 for $250ish and buy another f/1.8 and have money left in your pocket.
__________________
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #70
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru
 
bsmith's Avatar
 
PTrader: (278/99%)
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: St.Louis, MO
Posts: 9,059
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
I can't think of a good reason. The cheapest new 50mm f/1.4 that I have seen is $300 compared to around $110 for the 50mm f/1.8. I'd say though, if you can get an even trade and the f/1.4 is in good shape with sharp, clean optics, I'd make that trade all day long. If nothing else you can resell the f/1.4 for $250ish and buy another f/1.8 and have money left in your pocket.
Kinda what I was thinking. Maybe it was just strange circumstances.
bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #71
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator
 
GraphicGr8s's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West coast of the east coast of the USA.
Posts: 2,667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickleMyElmo View Post
Eh, the old film cameras are fine for the purists and the old timers stuck in their ways, but digital is the way to go for anything professional and non hobbyist...

Film people just like to remember the good ol' days, a camera from the 70's and 80's is nowhere close to the pro cameras of today, anyone that tells you otherwise is an old fart who thinks all these computers and electro-nics are too futzy and that we should all be using smoke signals to communicate.....like in the good old days! lol...
Guess I am just an old fart then. I do prepress setup and run digital "presses". I use computers all day. I've got 6 at home I use. 3 at work. PC's and 1 Mac. I shoot both film and digital. More digital than film anymore though. I am pretty good with the Adobe Suite. Well at least good enough they got me to pre public beta test CS5 last year. It's not that digital isn't as good. It has a different feel. Digital is either on or off. (Binary) Yes it can be on or off to really small amount but analog can be "a tad"
As for us film guys: Unless you are truly doing a wet process and it's not scanned it's film quality. If the processing company scans and then prints it is no better than digital. You lose the film qualities as soon as it gets into the digital realm.

Many of the old lenses are better. One thing I've noticed about the generations after mine. They seem to want a lot if things but will accept lesser quality. I often wonder if they realize what quality really is. We are, and have been for a while a throw away society. Just because they tell you it's the latest and the greatest doesn't make it so. The old things were made to last.
GraphicGr8s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:21 PM   #72
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (23/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Christiansburg, Va
Posts: 2,756
Default

I'd like to say, I miss slide film! I'm relatively new to digital (less than 5 years) and one thing is obvious to me - to nail film photos, you had to know your stuff. Today, anyone can take a mediocre photo, run it through endless post processing, and fix problems the easy way out. Take a thousand photos at a time to get a handful of decent ones? No problem! Do that with film, and you'd force yourself fast enough to learn how to use the equipment...
I belong to a Canon forum, and almost every poster talks more about their post processing more than they take about the experience of taking the photo...
__________________
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #73
zainey_04
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
zainey_04's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Falls Church, VA
Posts: 489
Default

Hey can anyone recommend a relatively inexpensive wireless flash that can also be attached to the camera if needed.



- Zain
zainey_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:59 PM   #74
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru
 
Nubster's Avatar
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Romney, West Virginia
Posts: 3,550
Default

The Nikon SB-600 is a great flash unit that can be used off camera. There's also the Nissin ND622MKII-N Speedlite which I have read good things about.
__________________
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:55 AM   #75
TickleMyElmo
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
TickleMyElmo's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 807
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith View Post
Good that makes more sense to me. I have leaarned so much over the past few days because of this thread. I was just looking through the FM classifieds at some lenses that are $3k! I'll never have one but I still wondered if a lens like that would really be worth it?

Also, something that is confusing me. I found a few people on different sites wanting to trade a 50mm f1.4 prime that had for a f1.8 prime. I'm assuming then that just because a lens may be faster it's not always better for all situations. Just ours really (meaning that a f1.4 prime will always be better for macro shots in our tanks)
They more than likely just didn't need the f/1.4 speed. Some people are perfectly content with f/1.8 being the fastest aperture available, and would rather have the $$ difference in their pockets. If you need f/1.4, then you need f/1.4, no way around it...otherwise most people are fine with f/1.8

And yes, I have several lenses that are that expensive, and I too routinely buy lenses on FM. It most definitely is worth it if you're looking for the best image quality possible, and especially so if you're using it for professional use.

Also, f/1.4 does not make it good for macro shots. In fact, there's no macro lens that I know of that goes to f/1.4, most only go to f/2.8...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
If you need it, then yeah, a $3k lens is worth it. But the average hobbyist, no. One of the Nikon standards though is the 70-200mm f/2.8. It's a $2400 lens and if you can afford it, it's a great lens to have. You can find them used routinely for about $1500. That's alot but it's a GREAT lens. Someday when I'm out of school I own one. For now though, I'll make do with my $400 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6.
Actually, the new 70-200 2.8 VRII goes for around $1950 to $2,300 used. Brand news it's a $2400 lens like you said. The older 70 -200 2.8 VRI goes for $1500 used, but its the older first generation model, and it doesn't do so well on FX (extreme vignetting)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvladik View Post
I'll join. D7000 here with Tamron 18-270 lens.
Sweet! You're #017...

#001 - TickleMyElmo
#002 - SkyGrl
#003 - jahmic
#004 - scream-aim-fire
#005 - Moody636
#006 -Assassynation
#007 - Da Plant Man
#008 - zainey_04
#009 - AzFishKid
#010 - msjinkzd
#011 - manini
#012 - Nubster
#013 - bsmith
#014 - Minja
#015 - jeepn4x4
#016 - lonnie123
#017 - nvladik
#018 -
#019 -
#020 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by zainey_04 View Post
Hey can anyone recommend a relatively inexpensive wireless flash that can also be attached to the camera if needed.



- Zain
I would also recommend the Nikon SB-600...
TickleMyElmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012