**Official TPT NIKON Pimp Club** Join us instead, Canon has cooties! - Page 36
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Photography

Old 09-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #526
Patriot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Patriot

Does anyone here have a 70-200mm 2.8 vrII lens? I'm saving for one but can't decide sigma or Nikon. I hear that if some has the extra money then Nikon is better. I have a D7K and plan on using it for sports and such. I also hear that the sigma is great but not as fast as the Nikon. What are your thoughts on the lens?
SUNSUN PIMP #41
The Fraternity of Dirt #50
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech.
What Can Dirt Do For You?
Nikon Club Member #35
Patriot is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #527
TickleMyElmo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
Does anyone here have a 70-200mm 2.8 vrII lens? I'm saving for one but can't decide sigma or Nikon. I hear that if some has the extra money then Nikon is better. I have a D7K and plan on using it for sports and such. I also hear that the sigma is great but not as fast as the Nikon. What are your thoughts on the lens?
I have one, and I would NEVER sell it. I'm really more of a prime guy, but the 70-200 VRII is a lens I will always have. As a pro, its a staple lens and always creates the real "wow" shots, especially with portraits around the longer end of the zoom (180-200mm) with a shallow depth of field. The sigma is okay I guess, but it is and always will be a compromise compared to the Nikon.
TickleMyElmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #528
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I just got a Tamron 90mm lens and have been testing it out over the past few days. Macro photography is definitely a challenge, especially when trying to photograph quick, young African Cichlids!

Here are some of the results.

Jacob's Peacock

Dragonblood Peacock

And then my favorite of my shots so far

AquaStudent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:10 AM   #529
Patriot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaStudent View Post
I just got a Tamron 90mm lens and have been testing it out over the past few days. Macro photography is definitely a challenge, especially when trying to photograph quick, young African Cichlids!

Here are some of the results.

Jacob's Peacock

Dragonblood Peacock

And then my favorite of my shots so far

Your going to need flash to freeze the motion of the fish. Get a speed light and aim it down from above the tank with a softbox if needed.
SUNSUN PIMP #41
Nikon Club Member #35
Old 09-23-2012, 12:15 AM   #530
Pen3
Planted Member

PTrader: (17/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickleMyElmo View Post
Great camera, great price! Now all you have to limit yourself is....yourself! (and maybe a few lenses )

P.S. Does this mean you want to join?
After using the D700 for a few days i decided to let it go and concentrate on lens first and bought a 70-200mm VR1. I ended up selling the D90 anyways, but replaced it with a D7000. I am looking for a better tripod now since my Manfrotto is a pain to move around. I am looking at a Benro Carbon that supports 17+ and weights under 2.6. I still like my mount and since it is Mg i will keep it.

I took this with my old phone

I really liked the D700, but i can wait it out and possibly get a D600 or what ever Nikon brings out in 2014. I actually did handle a D800, but still liked the D700 more.
Pen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:24 AM   #531
Pen3
Planted Member

Is it safe to use a short quick release shoe like the RC2 i have there? Or should i change up for their bigger size.
ANd put me down for #80 XD

Last edited by Pen3; 09-24-2012 at 02:05 AM.. Reason: Edit
Old 09-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #532
seachaz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

What are folks using for micro/macro lenses on their Nikon setups? I'm pretty new with the aquarium thing and haven't been much into macro photography but I'm finding my current equipment isn't the best getting close to my fauna which is 1.5" or smaller. Anyone using extension tubes?

PS - Can I still join the pimp club?

D300S, D200 (dead), D70
70-200 f/2.8 VRI
16-85 f/3.5-5.6 VR
12-24 f/4 (tokina)
50 f/1.8
SB-800
seachaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #533
seachaz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen3 View Post
Is it safe to use a short quick release shoe like the RC2 i have there? Or should i change up for their bigger size.
ANd put me down for #80 XD
Depending where you are in equipment purchasing I'd say switch to Arca-swiss compatible releases and plates if you can swing it - definitely safer and many more brands. I've got one plate that lives on my camera which is much lower profile then the Manfrotto style quick release plates and works with my 3 heads all by different manufacturers.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:52 PM   #534
Pen3
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seachaz View Post
Depending where you are in equipment purchasing I'd say switch to Arca-swiss compatible releases and plates if you can swing it - definitely safer and many more brands. I've got one plate that lives on my camera which is much lower profile then the Manfrotto style quick release plates and works with my 3 heads all by different manufacturers.
Is this what i am looking for? http://www.adorama.com/KIRQRC3.html The shoe on nikon is 2.8" long so i want at least a 2.5" long plate.

Last edited by Pen3; 09-24-2012 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: Edit
Old 09-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #535
seachaz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen3 View Post
Is this what i am looking for? http://www.adorama.com/KIRQRC3.html The shoe on nikon is 2.8" long so i want at least a 2.5" long plate.
Yes that would work, you can use short or long plates in the same clamp. Really Right Stuff used to have a foot that replaced the nikon one on the 70-200 but looks like they only have it for the VR2 now, they do have a plate for the VR1: http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.as...-200VR&key=cat

I use a generic plate on my 70-200 VRI that's a bit shorter then the foot but works fine.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #536
OrangeAugust
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have a D3100 (digital).
and an N65 (film)
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:47 AM   #537
Adri.
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ohh hello, why did I not check out this thread sooner?

My mom bought a Nikon D50 a while back and stopped using it after a while. I realized it was great for taking pictures of my foster dogs...Well, now I'm hooked This photography thing is addicting.

Educate me...why is it that cannon sucks?
Bear with me here, I'm just a beginner! Still learning how to use this thing...I've only recently started figuring out how to properly use the exposure triangle! But now that I've got it, I love shooting in manual mode

Adri. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:09 AM   #538
Patriot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adri. View Post
Ohh hello, why did I not check out this thread sooner?

My mom bought a Nikon D50 a while back and stopped using it after a while. I realized it was great for taking pictures of my foster dogs...Well, now I'm hooked This photography thing is addicting.

Educate me...why is it that cannon sucks?
Bear with me here, I'm just a beginner! Still learning how to use this thing...I've only recently started figuring out how to properly use the exposure triangle! But now that I've got it, I love shooting in manual mode

I wouldn't say canon sucks, but instead Nikon seems to be more "new" user friendly. A friend and myself both got camera the same day, he got a Canon while I went the Nikon route. A few months later he sold it because he said it wasn't as easy to use as the Nikon beginner camera.
SUNSUN PIMP #41
Nikon Club Member #35
Old 09-28-2012, 07:11 AM   #539
Pen3
Planted Member

I wouldn't say canon sucks since they make very good cameras and lens and I wouldn't mind a 5dm3 or 1dx. The only thing I can think of is their pro lens don't hold as much value as Nikon's pro lens. I'll take Nikon's 70-200 vr2 over Canon's anyday.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:20 PM   #540
Pen3
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seachaz View Post
Yes that would work, you can use short or long plates in the same clamp. Really Right Stuff used to have a foot that replaced the nikon one on the 70-200 but looks like they only have it for the VR2 now, they do have a plate for the VR1: http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.as...-200VR&key=cat

I use a generic plate on my 70-200 VRI that's a bit shorter then the foot but works fine.
I ended up ordering a Kirk 2.5" clamp with a D7000 L Bracket and 70-200 Feet replacement.