**Official TPT NIKON Pimp Club** Join us instead, Canon has cooties! - Page 33
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Photography

Old 07-20-2012, 02:44 AM   #481
TickleMyElmo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

First of all, lets address your PM to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amygirl11
Thank you for publicly embarrissing me It was greatly appreciated.
I don't know where you got the idea I was trying to or did "publicly embarrass" you...at no point did I make mention of any shots you posted or name you in my post. In fact, my post specifically said "one of you is going to post a picture" as in the future tense, as in someone will post an image. That would rule you out since you had already posted that shot a while ago, so I really don't understand where you could infer I was speaking about you. You're certainly not the only person to have posted a macro shrimp shot you know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amygirl11 View Post
I'm sorry. I didn"t know you wanted shots of what a 85mm can do. Sorry I have to direct you to my expired flickr account but my darling children left my external drive at school with my photo's on it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46721570@N08/5981847163/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46721570@N08/5946290470/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46721570@N08/5915520770/

Here's one with my 70-300.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46721570@N08/5869594575/

Now I really don't expect anybody to tell me my photography is awesome!!! I am a middle of the road photographer, with middle of the road equipment, and middle of the road skills. As far as macro lens goes, I personally don't think the 85 is all that bad if thats all you can afford. I totally agree that the 60mm you would have to be to close to your subject. Just remember that Nikon lenses don't deppreciate all that much. One can always sell it and use those funds to upgrade when the better glass is more affordale to you. I may never be able to afford the 105 and I really don't care. I have fun with my 85 and that is all that matters to me. My photography is for my enjoyment. I would like to thank you for informing me that my camera and equipment will never take a decent shrimp shot. I'll quit trying.
First of all, again, I was not personally talking about you or your 85mm macro. It's a well known fact and documented in various reviews that the optics of the Nikon Micro 85mm are lackluster compared to the other micro Nikon lenses. I was simply stating a fact observed in many reviews. Can you still take great pictures with a Nikon 85mm Micro,...absolutely! Would I recommend one knowing what I've read in multiple credible reviews, no, I would not, so I didn't recommend one to him. Those are all nice shots you linked to in Flickr, but they're also all shots in daylight or close to it, which is vastly different to that of aquariums. Without a speedlite mounted off camera, its impossible to get the quality of light and the depth of field required to get pictures like Speedie or myself get, simply due to the fact that aquariums are dark and hard to light in the eyes of a camera sensor.

The problem here is that often times someone new to photography will post asking for recommendations for a macro lens so they can get all the cool shots like Speedie gets, and everyone jumps to recommend a random macro lens like the 60mm or 85mm but never follow up with the fact that Speedie and myself use speedlights to get the results we do. The danger with that is the new photographer then goes and blows $300-600 on a unsuited macro lens, only to be disappointed with the results and now they're stuck with something they can't use to the full potential or at all with even decent results depending on the lighting and size of their aquarium.

If the poster wants really excellent macro shots, then he'll need the equipment I mentioned. Once he has that, then it has nothing to do with equipment, and everything to do with himself. He asked, so it was my job to tell him exactly what he needed without any sugar coating if he wanted truly awesome macro shots.

If the person asking me wants excellence and amazing shots, I'll gladly tell them exactly what they need to buy, and how much it will cost. I refuse to sit here and beat around the bush or coddle someone, saying "Oh yes, all you need is $300, don't worry, you'll be taking amazing macro shots in no time with the best of them" when I know it simply isn't true. DSLR photography and especially macro photography is expensive, there's no way around it. $300 isn't realistic for what most people here want to achieve, but because of the flood of people only recommending "get a macro lens!", they are led down a false road of hope, only to be disappointed later when they don't look like Speedie's pictures. I'm not here to set people up for mediocrity, if they ask me, I will tell them whats required for excellence.
TickleMyElmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2012, 04:15 AM   #482
viwwo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I want to be in!
I got a D5000 and the 55-300mm Zoom lens and I love it!

Sorry I just had to spam you all.

I need to find a good macro.
viwwo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #483
teonguyen
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

I want to join the club too.lol im so jealous with all the great pics you guys have taken. I m thinking about getting D3100 18-55 and 55-200mm..What do you guys think ? Please advise this noob..I want to share my aquarium's pics......
teonguyen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2012, 03:03 PM   #484
amygirl11
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

MY APOLOGIES ELMO!!!! I reread the post and seen that he wanted a macro lens for shrimp. I do sincerly apologize. I was cross referencing another post with someone that wanted to learn macro. A whole different story. I also did think your statement, "fuzzy underexposed picture of a blurry shrimp" was directed at me because THAT is my picture....LOL, and yes I do know it. Now if I may ask your expert advice. Knowing full well that I will not get the high quality shots that you and Speedie get, is there any way to improve my shrimp shots with the gear I have? I do have a SB600 with a softbox attachment and a really cheapo umbrella set. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here's one that I took this morning. Sorry to hurt your eyes...LOL

amygirl11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #485
amygirl11
Planted Member

BTW, all my flickr shots were taken outdoors. I am in the process now of working on the lighting aspect of photography.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #486
honda237
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickleMyElmo View Post
You could look into the Nikon 55-300, although its relatively new and I can't vouch for image quality. I've heard nothing but good things about the Nikon 70-300, its an FX lens but that just means it'll be even better on your DX camera since you'll only be using the center "prime spot" of the lens...

Feel free to take a class, but you can learn just as much just from reading and watching videos on the internet. Some people learn better in a classroom environment though, so by all means take a class if that's your learning style. But be forewarned, a lot of classes are really just crappy and you don't end up learning much that you couldn't read on the internet. Personally I never got a formal education in photography, and I'm doing just fine lol...
I was looking up some reviews, and it appears that the 70-300 is still better than the 55-300, and the 70-300 has a better build quality, so i will probably get one of those also.
Well I guess i will just research online, thats a lot cheaper than a class.
Thanks for your help.

Nikon Pimp #068
honda237 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2012, 06:18 PM   #487
audioaficionado
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

You might also consider how heavy of a lens you want hanging around your neck all day for that extra bit of telephoto reach you most likely won't use often.

45 gal tall high-tech : 2-23-12 update
Complete CO2 Leak Test : How to build a CO2 regulator

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
audioaficionado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #488
atomicjade
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Count me in! I have a D3100, woohoo!

I just have the base lens but it works just fine for me, not to say I'm not wanting a macro and telephoto sometime...

atomicjade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 05:23 AM   #489
TickleMyElmo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sorry everybody, I've been busy working on a photoshoot over the weekend and I'm just having time now to catch up on this thread Check out my website if you want to see a awesometacular preview picture of my latest photoshoot! Anyways...

Quote:
Originally Posted by viwwo View Post
I want to be in!
I got a D5000 and the 55-300mm Zoom lens and I love it!

Sorry I just had to spam you all.

I need to find a good macro.
Welcome aboard #072!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teonguyen View Post
I want to join the club too.lol im so jealous with all the great pics you guys have taken. I m thinking about getting D3100 18-55 and 55-200mm..What do you guys think ? Please advise this noob..I want to share my aquarium's pics......
Sure, you can be #073, welcome fellow Nikon appreciater! A D3100 is a perfectly fine camera!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amygirl11 View Post
MY APOLOGIES ELMO!!!! I reread the post and seen that he wanted a macro lens for shrimp. I do sincerly apologize. I was cross referencing another post with someone that wanted to learn macro. A whole different story. I also did think your statement, "fuzzy underexposed picture of a blurry shrimp" was directed at me because THAT is my picture....LOL, and yes I do know it. Now if I may ask your expert advice. Knowing full well that I will not get the high quality shots that you and Speedie get, is there any way to improve my shrimp shots with the gear I have? I do have a SB600 with a softbox attachment and a really cheapo umbrella set. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here's one that I took this morning. Sorry to hurt your eyes...LOL
No worries! You're pictures isn't underexposed or blurry, the lighting is just a little off thats all!

The good news is, you pretty much already have everything you need to get pictures like Speedie and I do. Take that SB600 and put it on top of the tank pointing down into the water, preferably pointing at the subject/shrimp you're taking a picture of. I used to just duct tape the flash to the light, but that requires caution or you could end up losing your flash if it falls into the aquarium. I now use egg crate lighting diffuser that can be found at any home improvement store to put over the tank/light, to act as a safety net of sorts.

You're using a D5000 which doesn't have a commander mode built in, so you'll need a set of radio triggers to fire the flash when its off the camera. Luckily, the cowboy studio triggers are both dirt cheap and very reliable...

http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-N.../dp/B002W3IXZW

Just mount the flash above the tank pointing down like mentioned before. Your shutter speed should be anywhere from 1/200 to 1/320, the faster the better and 1/250 is usually the best and your aperture should be set to f/8 or above. Then set ISO to the base level (usually ISO 200 or 100, the one right before it goes to LO1) Then all you have to do is dial the flash up or down in power levels until it looks right. The radio triggers I posted only allow manual flash power settings, but thats better anyways because its more consistent. The flashy powers on the SB600 range from 1/1 (full power) to 1/64 (the lowest power available on the SB600). The amount of power you'll need will vary by your aquarium size and f/stop, so just go up and down until it looks good. Thats it! No umbrellas or soft boxes needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda237 View Post
I was looking up some reviews, and it appears that the 70-300 is still better than the 55-300, and the 70-300 has a better build quality, so i will probably get one of those also.
Well I guess i will just research online, thats a lot cheaper than a class.
Thanks for your help.
Yeah I've always heard the 70-300 is a great bang for the buck lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicjade View Post
Count me in! I have a D3100, woohoo!

I just have the base lens but it works just fine for me, not to say I'm not wanting a macro and telephoto sometime...
Awesome, you can be #074!
Old 07-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #490
amygirl11
Planted Member

Thanks Elmo! It's at the top of my Christmas list. It will give me something to do when cabin fever sets in. I highly doubt I will achieve photo's as good as yours and Speedie's, but it will be fun trying. Thanks for your vote of confidence.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #491
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I have a question for you all. I'm trying to get into more astrophotography and night shots. Last night I tried my hand at light painting (too bad it was cloudy) just to see how that worked. Right now I don't have a shutter control switch so I can't really utialize the bulb setting. What product would you guys suggest for a D5000?

I was searching around Amazon and most of them worry me. The product reviews I've seen haven't mentioned D5000s and some claim that it works for the D3100 (for example) then others claim it doesn't work for a D3100 (on the same product). So I don't know what to believe.
AquaStudent is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #492
TickleMyElmo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaStudent View Post
I have a question for you all. I'm trying to get into more astrophotography and night shots. Last night I tried my hand at light painting (too bad it was cloudy) just to see how that worked. Right now I don't have a shutter control switch so I can't really utialize the bulb setting. What product would you guys suggest for a D5000?

I was searching around Amazon and most of them worry me. The product reviews I've seen haven't mentioned D5000s and some claim that it works for the D3100 (for example) then others claim it doesn't work for a D3100 (on the same product). So I don't know what to believe.
Doesn't the standard little Nikon remote work with the D5000? It official and its cheap enough...

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-ML-L3-Wi.../dp/B00007EDZG

You can get cheap knockoff copies of the same remote on a certain bay site for a few bucks too if you'd rather go that route...
Old 07-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #493
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I don't see NikonD5000 on the list of compatible cameras.

What is "MC-DC2" vs. "ML-L3". Could those be different internal image sensing structures? Because if that's true then the wireless remote you posted I don't think would work...but then again I have yet to find the location where there would be a hardwire connection for a shutter release into my D5000 :/

The observatory I'm running has a couple Pentax cameras that have the wired shutter control accessories. I was hoping for something like that but not sure if that's a possible accessory for the D5000
AquaStudent is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 06:17 PM   #494
amygirl11
Planted Member

The ML-L3 will work. The problem that I encountered with it is that the only sensor for it is at the front of the camera. It wasn't what I wanted for the type of photography I was trying to do. One of the problems with an entry level DSLR is that it limits you on certain funtions. As Elmo pointed out, it doesn't have a commander mode, nor does it have a hardwire connection. At least from what I can remember when I researched it. It's a real pain getting old...LOL That's why pro's use pro's camera's. Sometimes it's the little things in life that matters.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:28 PM   #495
Kunsthure
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)

Kunsthure claims Pimp #075. D5000 shooting mainly with a Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro lens.

-Lisa
Kunsthure is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.