Betta Tank Photographs
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Photography

Old 06-06-2015, 01:54 AM   #1
MEandYouPhoto
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Betta Tank Photographs

Just a few pictures to show off my new Betta tank and also to open some discussion regarding photographing our tanks.

I am going to post a few pictures and I would like people to guess, Were they taken with my DSLR or my iPhone 6 Plus

Let the guessing begin.
MEandYouPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2015, 07:13 PM   #2
dukydaf
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to dukydaf

As I previously said I like the dual colouring of your Betta. As for the guessing, sure I'll join:
1st phone
2nd camera
3rd phone
4th camera

For all the advancements of phone camera they will not reach the level of DSLR because physics. Phone cameras become better and better with how they handle low light and noise reduction and sharpening. I would like to get my hands on a LG G4 which can export RAW and see how a better program handles the sharpening and noise reduction. However because they have small sensors they will always have difficulty in sharpness and dynamic range. Their inability to take fast photos in low light make them difficult to operate for aquarium photography.

That being said, a good photographer will take better photos with a phone than somebody with no experience with a DSLR. For me Photo 3 was unclear because the Betta was overexposed, colour balance off and blurry, so it might be a bad photo with a DSLR.

And here is my Betta, Otto

dukydaf is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2015, 03:04 AM   #3
Frank H
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

1 phone
2 camera
3 phone
4 camera

same as above, I wrote my answer before reading his tho.. so unbiased
Frank H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2015, 03:41 AM   #4
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Well not having any exp except for Trial & Error from a Microsoft Photo Shop
and a point and shoot camera...I'd say you messed/w the saturation in all but the first
one which looks like a phone picture.
Don't know if that's the cause of it looking like or if 3 and 4 are actually out of focus(the fish not the background).
Old 07-02-2015, 01:41 PM   #5
ac0xr
Algae Grower

I have pretty much no photography experience, but I'll guess!

#1 Camera
#2 Phone
#3 Phone
#4 Phone

They all look good to me though! But I am wondering if #1 and #4 are different Bettas or not?
ac0xr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2015, 01:59 PM   #6
WaterLife
Algae Grower

Heh not all too confident, but I think
#1 phone
#2 DSLR - phone would look bad in low lighting
#3 phone
#4 DSLR - bokeh

Unless you purposely adjusted your DSLR and/or added post effects to make some of the photos seem to be from the phone, tricky :P
What body and lenses are you using?
WaterLife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2015, 07:42 PM   #7
MEandYouPhoto
Planted Member

Great guesses everyone and I am glad to see people interested in the discussion.

The correct order is
#1 Phone
#2 Camera
#3 Phone
#4 Camera

Camera is a Canon XTi (its seen better days)

Although I did adjust the saturation in # 3 and # 4 all of the pictures are all 1-4 of the same fish and really only taken a few minutes apart.

The first one from my iPhone 6 Plus was untouched. The lens was flat against the glass and the Beta was pretty much stationary.

For Picture 2 it is using my DSLR Again it was untouched

For Picture 3 the picture is a little blurry but it was taken with my iPhone 6 Plus but in HDR Mode. That's the reason for the high saturation.

For Picture 4 the image is actually in focus but on the back half of the Beta and not the front. It was taken not with my kit lens but instead with a 75-300 3.5-5-6 Canon telephoto lens. I tried to use it like a poor man's macro lens.

The color shift is largely in part to the lens and not as much to the photoshop. I actually didn't mess with the color temperature at all.

The reason I did these different pictures is to show that the image wont always be the same depending on the equipment you use and the settings you select.

Its a good idea to get to know your equipment and to learn from others.

I am always playing around with my camera and trying different methods. Since I don't have a Macro lens I have a bit more of a challenge to get great up close shots that have a decent depth of field. #4 has an extremely short DOF and that's why the back half of the Beta is in focus and not the font half. I don't have a wide aperture macro lens so low light motion photography is difficult to do right. But I still have fun with it.

dukydaf Those are some great pictures by the way.
MEandYouPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2015, 07:56 AM   #8
dukydaf
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to dukydaf

Thank you MEandYou. I got bingo. The fact that I was puzzeled by the third photo and you did it in HDR suggests that one of the immediately observable limitations of phone cameras is a restricted dynamic range. Once you compensated with HDR it looked close to a DSLR.

I wonder if there is a similar topic showing photos from a full frame and a dx DSLR
dukydaf is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.