aqua-freak's indian dwarf puffer fluval edge (PICS)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-20-2014, 04:11 PM   #1
aqua-freak
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

aqua-freak's indian dwarf puffer fluval edge (PICS)

so... it has been quite some time since i have posted on this thread. good news, this tank is still up and running.been letting it do its thing in the background for a while and was focusing on, house work, yard landscaping, and my 2 reef tanks. this edge has been through many a different inhabitant, went from rcs's, to having rasboras, housed 2 fancy golfish for my wife (they got large so i moved them to my pond), after the goldfish, it was time for me to take over again, added some more plants, changed the scape and it is home to 2 indian dwarf puffers, 2 nerite snails, and of course plants
finally had a chance to take a few updated pics so it can have some time in the spotlight again! enjoy

thought i would add, the tank still has the same mr11 leds i swapped in way back. still going strong
Here is a link to my original thread:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=121918
aqua-freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2014, 05:50 PM   #2
AquaAurora
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I know nerite are large compared to puffers but won't the puffers peck the [censor] out of them (eyes/antenna, general soft body spots)? The 3 I have and they will eat any snail in the tank, Malaysian trumpets, ramshorns, pond/bladder. I haven't tried nerite since its open topped and they'd just crawl out.
That said nice tank, like the plant selection. Is the large rock in the center just a local stone you picked up in the yard/forest?
AquaAurora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:27 PM   #3
aqua-freak
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
I know nerite are large compared to puffers but won't the puffers peck the [censor] out of them (eyes/antenna, general soft body spots)? The 3 I have and they will eat any snail in the tank, Malaysian trumpets, ramshorns, pond/bladder. I haven't tried nerite since its open topped and they'd just crawl out.
That said nice tank, like the plant selection. Is the large rock in the center just a local stone you picked up in the yard/forest?
thanks for the complement. always appreciated
i have not had issues with them bugging the nerite snails. also i think what helped is i had the nerite snail in the tank by them selves for a while and added the puffers in after so the snails were established and the puffers did not see them as something new added into the tank. i have the zebra nerites, they are indeed larger than the puff's and i havent had issues really with them crawling out.
the rock is actually one i got out of a bin at one of my lfs's. got it way back when i rescaped (well one of the many rescapes lol) i had that dead center with just 1 small anubias on each side to create a simetrical sort of zen feel, then the anubias grew in and i moved the goldies out as i metioned previously, added more plants and the tank was just plants and the 2 snails for a month or 2 before i decided i wanted dwarf puffers
i originally started with 3 but 1 didnt make it so just the 2 now. might add another later.
debating on adding a couple ghost shrimp just to help with clean up of extra food. curious what they dp's will do with those. i have seen ghost shrimp with dp's before though. then again, i dont think i want them to compete for the food. i have had ghost shrimp that would swim up with the fish come feeding time.

anyway, that was quite a rant. i would recomend trying the nerites, maybe introduce them at night when the lights are out so when the dp's wake up, they are already in there. i think its when they see something physically introduced into the tank that they show alot of interst
just a theory
Old 06-20-2014, 11:45 PM   #4
AquaAurora
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I added 3 puffers originally, one didn't survive so got a replacement from a differ source. The newest one was the smallest when introduced but it's now the biggest, best hunter out of the three i guess ^^
AquaAurora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:45 AM   #5
aqua-freak
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
I added 3 puffers originally, one didn't survive so got a replacement from a differ source. The newest one was the smallest when introduced but it's now the biggest, best hunter out of the three i guess ^^
Sounds about right

Tags
dwarf, edge, fluval, led, puffer