Dwarf Puffers
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 06-04-2003, 05:36 AM   #1
JonMulzer
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JonMulzer Send a message via MSN to JonMulzer Send a message via Yahoo to JonMulzer

I have seen mention of Dwarf Puffers used to keep snails in check. And some posts have said they are very peaceful but then I read other articles that say they are aggressive or semi-aggressive. Does anyone have experiecne with them? How much space do they require? An special feeding practices? Will they get along well in a peaceful community tank? I think they are cute little guys and would love to have one. Have even thought of setting up a 5g planted tank just for one. What are everyone else's experiences? Also, do they bother shrimp like Japonicas and Ghosts?
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2003, 05:39 AM   #2
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (0/0%)

They will definately eat shrimp, its one of their favorite foods :-)
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 07:09 AM   #3
JonMulzer
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JonMulzer Send a message via MSN to JonMulzer Send a message via Yahoo to JonMulzer

Will they eat prepared foods? What about bothering other fish in the aquarium? I don't mind buying feeder ghosts though if that is what they eat. Are they suitable for a "nano" tank?
Old 06-04-2003, 12:40 PM   #4
RayB
Algae Grower

BE CAREFUL!!! When I first set up my planted tank, I had a snail outbreak. To control it, I got a puffer. It took NO TIME for it to take care of the snails. When that task was done, "he" decided that the zebra danios that I had in there to cycle the tank were fair game. I couldn't believe he got them. I would have thought that their speed would be too much! The puffer would NOT eat any of the Tetrimin that I fed to the other fish. It would only eat dried tubifex and frozen brine shrimp that I put in to vary diet, occassionaly. Hope this helps you?
Old 06-04-2003, 03:05 PM   #5
Pooks73
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to Pooks73

it depends on the type of puffer that you get. dwarf puffes usually are too small to bother anyone else in the tank, although they try. they do love snails, and it helps to keep their beaks trimmed, so it's a good thing. puffers in general will not eat prepared foods, they prefer live or frozen. i've never heard of a puffer eating flakes, although i'm sure that there's one out there somewhere that does.
Pooks73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 05:12 PM   #6
RXTrev
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to RXTrev Send a message via Yahoo to RXTrev

As long as you keep em well fed they will be fine, you might get an occassional bitemark on one of your other fishes' fins though, but the mark will be small since they only get an inch long
RXTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 09:15 PM   #7
Pooky125
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125

Cute lil fish I must say, but to much work for there size for me personally. They stay small, but I've found them to be pretty aggressive. Snails are a highly favored food, I could never get mine to eat anything that wasn't alive, and so they didn't do real well with me. Stay away from fish with long fins with them, they wil shred bettas and fancy guppies. Cute tho, if you don't mind keeping a snail jar in case your tank runs clean of them, then I'd say go for it, if not, then skip it, and get something else.
Pooky125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 05:21 PM   #8
Slaigar
Planted Member

I purchased some last week and they are sweet to have. I have 4 of them and they eagerly take snails and frozen bloodworms. Their aggression is concentrated into their own group as they leave my lone loach in the qt alone.

They do eradicate snails pretty fast! But if you get a 5g tank, I would not recommend more than 1(maybe 2) in it. This is mainly for territory of the small tank and their feeding habits can cause a massive nitrate spike in that tank.

They are hardy for being such a small puffer. Mine started eating only a few hours after I took them home.
Slaigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 11:13 AM   #9
Angel12
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to Angel12

Got to agree here these little cuties are the tops for snail eradication I have them in Planted Community tank with my discus they can take the heat no problem they look after themselves I have cardinals and Corries and also Octocinculs in there that are the same size as they are they have been absoloutly fine I agree however on the feeding part My LFS only ever feeds them frozen bloodworm they have said they do take flake food but to be honest I never realy see these little guys as they are quite tiny and I just glimpse them sometimes in and out of the leaves looking for there favourite food SNAILS

Personaly I would have no hesitation in recomending them give it a go if things get out of hand then maybe your LFS will take em back I know mine does its kind of rent a Puffa ......

and Boy there CUTE just love to watch em noesy around ...

hope this helps

Angel12 is offline   Reply With Quote