Hanover Pet
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New Jersey

Old 01-24-2012, 03:15 AM   #1
Axelrodi202
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Hanover Pet

Anyone been to Hanover Pet, by the Home Depot in East Hanover? I have an interesting story...

I remember maybe one or two years back when I found a store in East Hanover called Aquatic Visions. I already knew of Hanover Pet back then, but I thought that they were different. They turned out to be the same store; the new owners hadn't gotten around to changing the sign. I always found it a bit odd that they never did change that sign...

So I have a reefer friend who started the hobby relatively recently (several months ago). He's been there several times, with one time being two weeks ago. At that time it was still a perfectly normal store.

Now him and his mom always joked about how it was a cover-up for some drug operation. So yesterday, he stopped by there for a visit, and it was all gone. Nothing left. No tanks, no equipment, nothing. Just unfinished flooring. According to him, not even the sign with the store's name was left.

Now I'm wondering if his suspicions were actually true. If they were then that would be pretty darn funny. Anyone have any info on this?
\_\
Axelrodi202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2012, 01:53 AM   #2
cdwill
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

Went in there once; the place just looked terrible. Never went back.

Possible it was a mob front; the pizzeria next door was busted for racketeering and drug distribution a year or so ago...
Old 02-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
Dave6265
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I was in there a month and a half ago or so... half the tanks were empty, it was pretty clear they were either going out of business or moving.
Dave6265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #4
LS6 Tommy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

They're closed. It's no big loss. The livestock was not beig properly taken care of, the pricing was WAY above average & the staff weren't all that knowledgeable...

Tommy

Eheim Pimp #204.
58 gal planted Oceanic
Red Turquiose Discus, Japonica shrimp, assorted Blue Eyed Rainbows, Tetras, Hatchets, Danios, Rasboras
10 gal low tech planted Celestial Pearl Danio (Celestichthys margaritatus) & Emerald Dwarf Rasbora (Microrasbora erythromicron)
LS6 Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
Bushkill
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Uggghh.

LONG sad story to this place. I work about 5 miles from the place and I went there every week for about 10 years. A guy named Jeff sold the place to Aquatic Visions a long time ago. Jeff was a bit of a piece of work, but there was ALWAYS livestock in the place and the tanks were clean. Aquatic Visions is a bigger tank maintenance and tank building outfit. They have a website. They never intended to run the place as a LFS. It started out as a depository for run of the mill livestock they were putting into the tanks at their maintenance accounts in Manhattan. The routine was just the weirdest thing I've ever seen. DOZENS of boxes of corals would show up on Tuesday, and they would all be re-packaged and gone by Wednesday afternoon. I used to kid the guys that worked there about sending the stuff off to a coral graveyard. They eventually started to pretty much ignore the FW side altogether.

I think their maintenance accounts either dried up, or got fed up with having to re-stock the tanks with livestock almost monthly. So the maintenance side of the business went south and they took the store with them down the tubes. The last couple of years there were just horrible. They'd stiffed so may wholesalers, they were down to one supplier that would sell them anything. You almost never saw anyone walk out with anything, me included.

So yeah, it was a front. A front for a tank maintenance company that never intended to run the place like a LFS. The guys that worked there were just fed up with the whole process toward the end and were there to just collect a paycheck.

Just a sad story.
Bushkill is online now   Reply With Quote