Hello everybody! My 20L plans... - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-03-2012, 03:19 AM   #76
LB79
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Beautiful! All it needs is a pair of GBRs, Nannacara anomala, or Dicrossus filamentosus. Do you have more cories? I think a school of six-eight would look awesome. I think you could add a few guppies (male and female) to brighten the upper areas and provide the other occupants with a live food source. It's really fun to watch a fish stalk its prey!

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
LB79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 05:19 AM   #77
Al Slick
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I would love a pair of rams actually and have really been considering getting one! That dicrossus is cool and I've actually never seen one. I only have the two cories at them moment! My lfs has been waiting to get them in forever but my eventually goal is a minimum of six, maybe eight depending on other inhabitants and filtration. I was thinking about giving my boy tarzan a girlfriend, plus my girlfriend would like that too! I figured the babies would just get eaten and woudn't be a problem in the long run. I'm going to see how everything balances out before I add anything else. I definitely want more cories though.

Do you have a tank thread?
Al Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #78
thefisherman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

+1 on the GBR pair Al! i absolutley adore this fish. of course my
little lady GBR is all alone now due to a bizarre love triangle.. i recommend not more than one pair for the 20L.

also usually they are juvies at the LFS which makes it super difficult to sex, let alone guess if they will become mated. i've read of purchasing at least a group of 6 (2:4 M:F ratio) and let them grow up in a community together. when they mature you will know right away which pairs become mated.

this of course requires another tank(s) specifically
for breeding, as it is required to remove the mated pair from the community in order to breed.

the bloodfun tetras are gorgeous and definately a choice in my tank if i didn't have the cardinals or rasboras

- thefisherman

The Fisherman's Workbench
thefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #79
Al Slick
Planted Member

I used to love rams and always wanted some but I forgot about them

until I saw your little man wanted thread

would a pair of rams get very aggressive if they were breeding? I never want my fish to kill each other! Also I have a couple Amano shrimp and want them to be safe.

Thanks again for all of the plants, they are going to look great when they fill in!
Old 03-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #80
thefisherman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

unfortunately yes... you're shrimps are not safe

my ram is lasy btw! no worries Miss Allegra (my wife named her lol) forgives you

- thefisherman

Old 03-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #81
Al Slick
Planted Member

Haha great name I'm in no rush so I'll keep looking for a pair of show fish that will live happily. I think an orange dwarf gourami would be pretty nice.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:48 PM   #82
LB79
Wannabe Guru

I think fully adult amano shrimp would be perfectly safe with GBRs, Checkerboards, and Golden Dwarf Acaras (the suggested species). I've seen a few of Takashi Amano's (great guy) tanks with all three and amano shrimp living side by side. Many gouramis are on growth hormones that speed their growth rate because they are slow growers. These fish usually only last a matter of months in aquaria. They are also unpredictable; you could end up with either a wonderful new addition or hell in scales.

Rams are aggressive to a point in breeding. They will not tolerate invaders of their territory (usually no bigger than 6-8 sq. inches). But they're not like many of the bigger cichlids, who will relentlessly chase and sometime murder other fish in the defense of their brood.

Another fish that is cichlid-like but smaller than even the dwarf cichlids is the scarlet badis. These would definitely not fail to please.

You have a LOT of cover in your tank. Keep it that way, for it provides the fish with a huge sense of security and it'll dial down the aggression with breeding cichlids cause they can't see any predators.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:44 PM   #83
thefisherman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i had fully adult amanos that ended up being a lobster buffet for my crazy female GBR and the Preacox Gang lol.

although the two that did survive ended up getting fried when my pH became too acidic at 6.0.

- thefisherman

Old 03-04-2012, 12:09 AM   #84
Al Slick
Planted Member

Well my two shrimp are rather large.. Maybe some juveniles raised up with the shrimp wouldn't be too aggressive? Who knows, I would hate to have anything kill each other though in my tank!
Old 03-04-2012, 12:32 AM   #85
LB79
Wannabe Guru

I honestly don't know. Juvies raised with them might work. The rule is 'If it fits in the mouth it goes in the mouth'. Does your LFS take returns? Experiment with one and if it works, you know what to do, if not, return it.

...Praecox Gang? Now that's just not fair pitting them against amanos...

Old 03-04-2012, 12:36 AM   #86
thefisherman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Slick View Post
Well my two shrimp are rather large.. Maybe some juveniles raised up with the shrimp wouldn't be too aggressive? Who knows, I would hate to have anything kill each other though in my tank!
i'm not saying that they will definately anihilate each other lol people say as long as the shrimpies have enough cover they can coexist. shrimps know they are on the bottom of the food chain lol.

but then again the same peeps might have 100g+ tanks... its just my personal experience in such a small footprint like my own 20L the critters cant help but bump into each other.

as juvies i think they will be fine, but they're still cichlids and that predatory instinct is definately there. when they breed, they are hands down more territorial and aggressive. to the point that they used to attack my hands during maintenance lol

- thefisherman

Old 03-04-2012, 12:37 AM   #87
LB79
Wannabe Guru

That's true. Maybe the scarlet badis, then...

Old 03-04-2012, 04:01 AM   #88
Al Slick
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefisherman View Post
i'm not saying that they will definately anihilate each other lol people say as long as the shrimpies have enough cover they can coexist. shrimps know they are on the bottom of the food chain lol.

but then again the same peeps might have 100g+ tanks... its just my personal experience in such a small footprint like my own 20L the critters cant help but bump into each other.

as juvies i think they will be fine, but they're still cichlids and that predatory instinct is definately there. when they breed, they are hands down more territorial and aggressive. to the point that they used to attack my hands during maintenance lol

- thefisherman
I was thinking the same thing, that my tank is too small to effectively "hide" the shrimp. I like them so I wouldn't want them to be snacks! The gbrs really ae gorgeous fish so I might try them out anyway!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB79 View Post
That's true. Maybe the scarlet badis, then...
Those look cool too! Thanks for suggesting all of these neat species! I will have to see what would fit in as well as what is avaiable. I have ordered many fish online so would be fine doing that again.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:51 AM   #89
LB79
Wannabe Guru

Sweet. Any pics of the tank?

Old 03-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #90
Al Slick
Planted Member

Hey there, yeah I'll be back at my apartment later tonight so I can post some pics of plants fish etc.

Do you have a tank thread of your own?