Hello everybody! My 20L plans... - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 02-28-2012, 11:49 PM   #61
LB79
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Apistos dig very little. If at all. And they're not big, aggressive, and territorial like their cousins. My BN pleco digs more. Just make sure to provide them with a cave (you can find really nice 'hollow rocks' at any LFS) and they'll be happy as a clam. Or an Apisto with a cave... Here's one of my males.

And another one of a different species.

Great fish. They might even breed for you. Their only problem is that they can be rather expensive.

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
LB79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 12:03 AM   #62
Al Slick
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Wow those are both beautiful fish, how expensive are you talking about ? I used to pay a lot for saltwater fish
Al Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:07 AM   #63
LB79
Wannabe Guru

$30 per pair for the Apistogramma Cacatuoides 'Orange Flash' (top) and $18 per pair for the Apistogramma Cruzi sp. 'Beige' (bottom). It's worth it when they breed though.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:22 AM   #64
Al Slick
Planted Member

That's not bad for a pair! Maybe I'll check in Nashville and see what they have available.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:30 AM   #65
LB79
Wannabe Guru

Do your homework, though. You want to know all about them before getting them. Don't pull an LB79 and get them before knowing anything about them and having them die on you. That's what happened to my first pair of A. Cacatuoides...

Check and see if they've got more cories available while you're there. The ones you have are awesome, and they'd be doubly so in a larger group!

Old 02-29-2012, 12:54 AM   #66
thefisherman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB79 View Post
Apistos dig very little. If at all. And they're not big, aggressive, and territorial like their cousins. My BN pleco digs more. Just make sure to provide them with a cave (you can find really nice 'hollow rocks' at any LFS) and they'll be happy as a clam. Or an Apisto with a cave... Here's one of my males.

And another one of a different species.

Great fish. They might even breed for you. Their only problem is that they can be rather expensive.
those are gorgeous LB!

- thefisherman

The Fisherman's Workbench
thefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:24 AM   #67
LB79
Wannabe Guru

Yeah, I'm really trying to get the male Cacatuoides to breed. He's still young and a bit blundering, but I'm thinking one of these days he'll realize mom's supposed to guard the eggs and he's supposed to guard the territory. The male Cruzi is even younger and is a successful father of two batches.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #68
Al Slick
Planted Member

Ha he will learn in time!

I definitely do want to breed whatever fish I end up with in this tank. I think that it is a sign that you are giving the fish everything that they deserve!
Old 02-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #69
LB79
Wannabe Guru

Yeah, breeding is the highest of rewards when keeping fish.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:40 PM   #70
LB79
Wannabe Guru

Any other updates?

Old 03-01-2012, 06:39 PM   #71
Al Slick
Planted Member

Yes I definitely do! Today is my last day of class so I'll have some time later to post up some new pictures!
Old 03-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #72
LB79
Wannabe Guru

Awesome. I have yet to have the college experience. Sounds a little daunting, but I'll have my fish to help me out...

Old 03-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #73
Al Slick
Planted Member

Haha college isn't bad! But it can really be difficult at times. Are you in high school now?
Old 03-02-2012, 11:27 PM   #74
LB79
Wannabe Guru

Yup. Enjoying the football part immensely. I Don't know exactly what I want to do as a profession but it's gotta be fish-oriented.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:11 AM   #75
Al Slick
Planted Member

I always wanted to kick for my high school team but I'm a musician and I always stuck with band. It's really paid off for me in the long run. Biology and zoology classes have been really good and I think majoring in biology or ecology would be really fun.

I have a lot of updates with the tank but unfortunately I left it for a few days and I'm at my parents' house. I do have a couple of crappy cell phone pics but I'll post them up just for the heck of it.

I received an awesome raok from thefisherman this week! It was a great package that included so many neat plants. He sent me his mother lily bulb, some rotalas, some stargrass, some cool hygro stems, and a few other awesome plants! They came a little rough due to a long shipment, but they are recuperating in my tank at the moment.

Here's a fts I took last night:

I finally broke down and bought some fish too... I really wanted those kerri tetras but I went with these instead!

7 bloodfin tetras, I really like these guys

They school very tightly and my corydoras finally feel comfortable coming out and foraging when people approach the tank!