Hello everybody! My 20L plans... - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-30-2012, 10:28 PM   #31
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Slick View Post
Well I have two bottles too so I think I'll just empty them one at a time to keep the production somewhat similar. And thanks! I have a long list of things I want to do still
No problem man. Glad to help. For the bottle changes, I usually do 1 of them and then 3 or so days later change the other one. Makes it easy and the CO2 stays steady.
The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2012, 02:53 PM   #32
Al Slick
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I picked up the glass that I had cut locally. I got two pieces of 1/4'' for the top of the tank and one piece of 1/8" for the light fixture.

Here's the top..

And the light fixture glass..

Last edited by Al Slick; 01-31-2012 at 05:00 PM..
Al Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:28 PM   #33
thefisherman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

al man... you're totally pro man!

Sent from my iPhone

The Fisherman's Workbench
thefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:09 PM   #34
Al Slick
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefisherman View Post
al man... you're totally pro man!

Sent from my iPhone
Thanks !

I really like your tank and I am trying to model my plant selection after yours. If there is one thing I have no idea about it's what type of plants are out there and what I should try to grow!

Your cories resting on that lily is absolutely great. That is one plant from your setup that I really admire, I already have a spot picked out for one of my own!

I also really like all of the crypts in your tank too, they add a lot of interest among your stems.

As for your rainbow I'm very sorry to hear that he jumped! You might consider getting glass tops cut for your tank too. I got two 1/4" pieces each measuring 29.125"x5" It leaves some room for a plastic hinge between the pieces as well as one in in the rear for filtration equipment! If you decide to do that than I would also recommend getting a one inch hole drilled center in one of the pieces for easy feeding and pane removal.

I'm sure you have your reason for open tops but I have lost so many fish running open tops that I just wanted to get a nice cover for them this time.

Thanks for your help and your tank looks great!
Old 01-31-2012, 05:21 PM   #35
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

The glass top you have looks good man.

Cable's Madness
Old 01-31-2012, 06:00 PM   #36
Al Slick
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy69846 View Post
The glass top you have looks good man.
Thanks! It only cost me $17.50 and I got to specify my exact dimensions! Plus commercially available tops use 1/8" panes and I think the thicker glass looks nicer and will last forever.

Might be messing with my PAR values though...
Old 01-31-2012, 06:07 PM   #37
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Thanks! It only cost me $17.50 and I got to specify my exact dimensions! Plus commercially available tops use 1/8" panes and I think the thicker glass looks nicer and will last forever.

Might be messing with my PAR values though...
Not bad. I may go that route for the rack I am going to be setting up in the spring. I don't like how flimsy the regular glass tops are, especially when there is a cat sitting on it.

If your par values go down a bit, you can paint the inside of your hood white. That will help with the light.

Cable's Madness
Old 01-31-2012, 10:38 PM   #38
thefisherman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks !

I really like your tank and I am trying to model my plant selection after yours. If there is one thing I have no idea about it's what type of plants are out there and what I should try to grow!

Your cories resting on that lily is absolutely great. That is one plant from your setup that I really admire, I already have a spot picked out for one of my own!

I also really like all of the crypts in your tank too, they add a lot of interest among your stems.

As for your rainbow I'm very sorry to hear that he jumped! You might consider getting glass tops cut for your tank too. I got two 1/4" pieces each measuring 29.125"x5" It leaves some room for a plastic hinge between the pieces as well as one in in the rear for filtration equipment! If you decide to do that than I would also recommend getting a one inch hole drilled center in one of the pieces for easy feeding and pane removal.

I'm sure you have your reason for open tops but I have lost so many fish running open tops that I just wanted to get a nice cover for them this time.

Thanks for your help and your tank looks great!
thanks al, your comments are very encouraging i am flattered to even think you would model your plant selection on mine... i'm sure there are plenty fellow hobbyists out there who have the same plants and grow them a heck of a lot better! lol but thank you.

its funny you mention the dwarf lily. i have two bulbs and i was thinking about replacing one with a type of leafy crypt. pm me when you're ready i might be able to ROAK it over to you with some clippings on my next trim

ya i'm totally sad about my rainbow... he was growing into a formidable alpha male fish, brilliant sheen and blood red streaks.. oh miss him so

i am getting a cover made, perhaps thick acrylic instead of glass. whatevera cheaper. its only 12" deep so i think a hinge won't be necessary. definitely a finger grab in the detail.. you must be studying engineering ur very detail oriented! :P

i'll post pics once i decide and have it made i like open tanks just as a preference, i'm sure we can spend an entire thread on its pros and cons alone

keep up the great work on the tank man... cheers!

Sent from my iPhone

Old 02-01-2012, 12:55 AM   #39
Al Slick
Planted Member

Quote:
Not bad. I may go that route for the rack I am going to be setting up in the spring. I don't like how flimsy the regular glass tops are, especially when there is a cat sitting on it.

If your par values go down a bit, you can paint the inside of your hood white. That will help with the light.
Hey even better than that.... drumm rollllllll

Individual polished aluminum reflectors!!

Haha I just made those from some flashing I got at work for $3.00. It is visibly brighter so I'm glad! Do you think 2 28 watt bulbs is overkill? I'm already getting some algae on my anubias leaves...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefisherman View Post
thanks al, your comments are very encouraging i am flattered to even think you would model your plant selection on mine... i'm sure there are plenty fellow hobbyists out there who have the same plants and grow them a heck of a lot better! lol but thank you.

its funny you mention the dwarf lily. i have two bulbs and i was thinking about replacing one with a type of leafy crypt. pm me when you're ready i might be able to ROAK it over to you with some clippings on my next trim

ya i'm totally sad about my rainbow... he was growing into a formidable alpha male fish, brilliant sheen and blood red streaks.. oh miss him so

i am getting a cover made, perhaps thick acrylic instead of glass. whatevera cheaper. its only 12" deep so i think a hinge won't be necessary. definitely a finger grab in the detail.. you must be studying engineering ur very detail oriented! :P

i'll post pics once i decide and have it made i like open tanks just as a preference, i'm sure we can spend an entire thread on its pros and cons alone

keep up the great work on the tank man... cheers!

Sent from my iPhone
My comments are completely deserved! I really think you have a good eye for placement.

Wow, I would really appreciate getting a free lily from you! Especially since your plant is the one that made me like lillies haha

Another option you could consider for covering your tank is one of my favorites. If you aren't trying to reduce evaporation that you can make a screen that fits perfectly! Go back in the building supply section of Lowe's or Home Depot and take a look in the window screen section. You need enough length of frame to match the perimeter length of your tank, a minimun of four corner brackets to create nice solid corners, a small amount of screen material to cover the surface area, some of the rubber lining that keeps the screen in, and optionally a screen tool to push the lining into the frame. This would probably run a little over twenty bucks (same as other options) and you could make it yourself!

If you already have an old window screen laying around than you already have everything you need to make one for free. With more corner brackets you can create right angles around your filtration equipment for a very finished look. I spray my completed screen tops with any black spray enamel just to give them a finished look.

This will keep your fish in and maintain the air exchange!

Oh and btw, I go to an engineering school, was almost a mechanical engineering major, but decided to become a music education major so I could study saxophone performance.

Thanks for looking!
Old 02-01-2012, 05:05 AM   #40
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Hey even better than that.... drumm rollllllll

Individual polished aluminum reflectors!!

Haha I just made those from some flashing I got at work for $3.00. It is visibly brighter so I'm glad! Do you think 2 28 watt bulbs is overkill? I'm already getting some algae on my anubias leaves...
That will work. Looks good. Don't fret the algae on the anubias leaves. Happens to all of us. I have algae on mine too. Just rub it off when you do water changes. As long as it does not spread, you should be good.

Cable's Madness
Old 02-01-2012, 05:31 AM   #41
Al Slick
Planted Member

Okay thanks, I have been rubbing it off with my thumb! I did have a light dusting of diatoms today and I know that's normal for a new tank.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:33 AM   #42
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Okay thanks, I have been rubbing it off with my thumb! I did have a light dusting of diatoms today and I know that's normal for a new tank.
Diatoms are easy. Otos will gobble that up quick. Algae tends to be attracted to the slower growing plants. Especially anubias. It is an algae magnet. But if you keep the leaves clean, you should be good.

Cable's Madness
Old 02-05-2012, 01:22 AM   #43
Al Slick
Planted Member

Quote:
Diatoms are easy. Otos will gobble that up quick. Algae tends to be attracted to the slower growing plants. Especially anubias. It is an algae magnet. But if you keep the leaves clean, you should be good.
I looked at a few otos at my lfs the other day and I was hesitant to get one. First of all it wasn't in my original plans... But they are from south America so they kinda fit ! Secondly there were three varieties and I didn't know enough about them to make a good choice (SAE, dwarf oto, something else...) and thirdly I was very worried about providing them with enough food.

If the algae is consistently bad then I would feel comfortable owning one, but I need to know that I'm providing them with a good habitat and proper care before I'll buy one.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #44
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I looked at a few otos at my lfs the other day and I was hesitant to get one. First of all it wasn't in my original plans... But they are from south America so they kinda fit ! Secondly there were three varieties and I didn't know enough about them to make a good choice (SAE, dwarf oto, something else...) and thirdly I was very worried about providing them with enough food.

If the algae is consistently bad then I would feel comfortable owning one, but I need to know that I'm providing them with a good habitat and proper care before I'll buy one.
Go with otos. Not the SAE's. If you notice they are not getting enough to eat, you can always give them some zucchini. They love that stuff. There are all kinds of tutorials on YouTube for that too.

Cable's Madness
Old 02-06-2012, 12:37 AM   #45
thefisherman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Go with otos. Not the SAE's. If you notice they are not getting enough to eat, you can always give them some zucchini. They love that stuff. There are all kinds of tutorials on YouTube for that too.
+1 on the ottos bro... SAE's get big and lose their taste for algae as adults. they also nible on plants eventually

Sent from my iPhone