Hello everybody! My 20L plans... - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-27-2012, 04:50 AM   #16
Al Slick
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

The flourite came in today and I put it all in the tank! unfortunately it's too cloudy now for pictures so hre is one before i put the new substrate in.

Al Slick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2012, 02:46 AM   #17
Al Slick
Planted Member

I've made a lot of progress today on the tank. The substrate is almost completely done, although I still need to add some sand to the back left of the tank. I planted what I think to be three narrow leaf chain swords and a little bundle of java fern started on my driftwood! Many of my leaves are starting to sink and the biggest addition of all....

My two corys!! I really like these little guys, I believe that I have one female and one male. I've had the female for two weeks now and got the male today!

They really like each other and will not leave each other alone!

I'm on the hunt for a supply of genuine inpaichthys kerri now. My lfs says they're too aggressive but everything I've read suggests that they're incredibly peaceful.. so I'm going to give them a try. If anyone has any idea where I can get some of these then please share.

Thanks for looking!
Old 01-28-2012, 03:11 AM   #18
thefisherman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

al man.. ur tank looks awesome!

Sent from my iPhone

The Fisherman's Workbench
thefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 04:06 AM   #19
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Guilty of not reading the entire thread, but your tank is off to a good start in my book. A tip on the wood. Boil it for 20 min, rinse in really cold water and repeat. It will take some time, but it will sink that way.
The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 04:20 AM   #20
Al Slick
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefisherman View Post
al man.. ur tank looks awesome!

Sent from my iPhone
Thanks! I am excited about this tank and I think it is coming out even better than I expected so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy69846 View Post
Guilty of not reading the entire thread, but your tank is off to a good start in my book. A tip on the wood. Boil it for 20 min, rinse in really cold water and repeat. It will take some time, but it will sink that way.
Ha did you notice the zip tie!!? well I'm not sure I have anything large enough to boil this in although I'm sure I could think of something. As of right now it's not really bothering anything and I'm sure it will sink after a few months? Hopefully!

I'm in the process of building a 3.8 liter co2 generator! I don't think I'll ever do anything bigger than this for my tank but I'm sure it will be beneficial to the tank.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #21
Al Slick
Planted Member

I set up a little diy co2 generator last night. I was able to keep an eye on the fish for the first few hours of operation. Today the bubble output is incredibly high... it looks like I have a small air pump connected to these airstones. I place the two airstone under the intake to my power filter. I wish that I could test my co2 levels somehow but I imagine they're fairly high. I think I need to refine my co2 mixture... In a 1.89 liter container I used 2 cups of sugar, one tablespoon of baking soda-to buffer the ph, 2.4 teaspoons of baking yeast and probably around 1.5 liters of water. I have two containers like this and I believe that they may burn themselves out fairly soon.

Here are the tanks:

And in the tank:

I'm assuming that this will be beneficial. should I be planting large amounts of stems in here right now?
Old 01-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #22
AlecFish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

How do you make those leaves sink?

If you had a bunch of those it would look like a natural habitat.

Btw, Your tank is coming along!!!
AlecFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #23
Al Slick
Planted Member

Well I've heard it's safe to boil oak and beech leaves (of which there are TONS around my apartment) and place them into the tank. This will kill anything on them but more importantly break down their cellulose skeletons and allow water to penetrate the leaves causing them to sink! This process seems to remove most of the tannins, which I actually want, so I just stuck them in the tank and they floated around for about five days and sank one by one. I was thinking that one portion of my tank could be a little group of fallen leaves for the cories to play in and to help lower the ph and darken the water a little.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #24
AlecFish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Wow, that's sweet! Now are you limited to only oak leaves or can I use others?

I was thinking the same exact thing as you, having a small portion of them. I'm starting up a 75 gallon community tank with pretty much the same stuff as you. I have pool filter sand and eco-complete. But the leaves will look awesome with tetras and would be a great breeding spot for dwarf cichlids possibly.
AlecFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #25
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

On the CO2, for my 20 gallon I use 2 cups sugar and 2 teaspoons yeast. I also have it set up so that both yeast bottles put the gas into a smaller bottle filled with water to act as a bubble counter, then from that bottle it goes to the tank.

The 2 liter bottles are the yeast bottles and connected with a "T" connector. From there it goes into the smaller bottle that is full 3/4 of the way with water. The gas in goes to the bottom of the water and then you have one out to the tank that is above the water. Makes for a cleaner look and then you only have to mess with one airstone.

Cable's Madness
Old 01-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #26
Al Slick
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarist14 View Post
Wow, that's sweet! Now are you limited to only oak leaves or can I use others?

I was thinking the same exact thing as you, having a small portion of them. I'm starting up a 75 gallon community tank with pretty much the same stuff as you. I have pool filter sand and eco-complete. But the leaves will look awesome with tetras and would be a great breeding spot for dwarf cichlids possibly.
You can purchase those indian almond leaves, but I wouldn't bother. You can use oak or beech and actually I have one maple in there and two other unidentified leaves, maybe tulip poplar. The oak leaves seem to be staying together really well and I think that's the major reason why they can be used in an aquarium, they take a long time to disintegrate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy69846 View Post
On the CO2, for my 20 gallon I use 2 cups sugar and 2 teaspoons yeast. I also have it set up so that both yeast bottles put the gas into a smaller bottle filled with water to act as a bubble counter, then from that bottle it goes to the tank.

The 2 liter bottles are the yeast bottles and connected with a "T" connector. From there it goes into the smaller bottle that is full 3/4 of the way with water. The gas in goes to the bottom of the water and then you have one out to the tank that is above the water. Makes for a cleaner look and then you only have to mess with one airstone.
That looks excellent! Now I can count bubbles and lose an airstone. Thank you for the tip!
Old 01-29-2012, 02:42 AM   #27
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Slick View Post
You can purchase those indian almond leaves, but I wouldn't bother. You can use oak or beech and actually I have one maple in there and two other unidentified leaves, maybe tulip poplar. The oak leaves seem to be staying together really well and I think that's the major reason why they can be used in an aquarium, they take a long time to disintegrate!

That looks excellent! Now I can count bubbles and lose an airstone. Thank you for the tip!
No problem man. I usually change both bottles once a week, but, on alternating days so it stays pretty steady. Works really well when I keep up with it and don't get lazy. Lol.

Cable's Madness
Old 01-29-2012, 10:11 PM   #28
Al Slick
Planted Member

Thanks Cable guy, when you replenish it.. do you just dump everything out and start from scratch? or can you keep the same yeast alive for long periods of time?

I added the bubble counter bottle to the setup and moved the output into the impeller housing of the filter-no more tubes in display.

Here's the most recent fts! The tank-height rotala in the back is actually just uprooted and floating up to the surface.

Fed the fish today and both catfish ate very readily. My girlfriend wanted me to put her guppy, Tarzan, into the setup too so I did... not sure how long until I can get it out of there. Maybe Tarzan will just be a foreign visitor to the tank forever
Old 01-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #29
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Slick View Post
Thanks Cable guy, when you replenish it.. do you just dump everything out and start from scratch? or can you keep the same yeast alive for long periods of time?

I added the bubble counter bottle to the setup and moved the output into the impeller housing of the filter-no more tubes in display.
I empty it and start over. I think you can keep the yeast alive for a long period, but I am not sure how. Something I need to look into for sure.

The tank is looking great too man.

Cable's Madness
Old 01-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #30
Al Slick
Planted Member

Well I have two bottles too so I think I'll just empty them one at a time to keep the production somewhat similar. And thanks! I have a long list of things I want to do still

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.