Awesome flows....
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-20-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
Green Thumb Aquatics
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Green Thumb Aquatics

Awesome flows....

lol dont know that I'll keep that name, but AWESOME is the only thing I could think of when I finished this..
here is hardscape, planting to be done tonight... lots of anubias, DHG reg and belem, all three of the hydrocotyles, some moss, maybe some riccia, HM, and a little local plant I found that I love... also maybe a small crypt or two
Green Thumb Aquatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2012, 10:50 PM   #2
CAM6467
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Looks nice! Any specs to share?
- The Fraternity of Dirt #66 -
Just because it's dirt doesn't make it low-tech.
CAM6467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
zachary908
Canon pimp #002

PTrader: (38/100%)

That looks fantastic. I can't wait to see it planted.

Canon Pimp Club #002
Honeycomb and friends club
zachary908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:14 PM   #4
Green Thumb Aquatics
Algae Grower

worm castings and osmocote plus, now that I'm done with design/testing my fert product I can do some substrate fertilization... capped with some flourish, and mounded with UP aquasoil...

river is microlift aquatic planting substrate and reg sand from the LFS

rocks are locally found in PA, driftwood is from Tom Barr

ferts will be Good S. Micro and Macro

co2 is 20lb tank from aquariumplants.com supreme 2 reg from GLA, and 65mm Atomic difuser from GLA

filtration will be eheim 2075.. I know thats a ton of flow for such a small tank.. but I am big on flow and I do have others if that is too much..

lighting is coralife 2x 31w T-5 HO I think its a 6700 and 10,000 range bulbs in it..

already listed plants, and I think thats about it...

there will be some emersed growth on DW..
Old 01-21-2012, 03:21 AM   #5
Green Thumb Aquatics
Algae Grower

http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/p...SCN9064_01.jpg[/IMG]
this was before de rim and when intial planning was going on
then de rim and wood setup

little substrate before the intial rocks, also added more slate to build up back island

placed rocks and added a support to divide substrate on other side as I wanted smaller rocks over there

added these two things in combination to build the riverish sand thing : )

after that prepped to add worm castings and osmocote plus, flourish black was laid on bottom, did not rinse at this point

added osmocote and rocks

added worm castings after boiling and let settling and running water through till it was clearish, the worm castings that is, then added them to tank, mixed in a little old substrate from another tank to add some bacteria
capped with flourish reg, black, and black sand that was taken from another tank, soaked in part glutaraldehyde to kill any algae lurking, and thoroughly rinsed, for a good twenty minutes to make sure it was all out and all roots lurking were rinsed out as well leaving a very nice and clean flourish mix...

you can see how nicely the large part of the DW goes over the river in the middle where no plants will be planted

initially this was the scape, the top layer of soil is UP aquasoil

finished hardscape before planting

Old 01-21-2012, 03:32 AM   #6
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)

That is WAY more osmocote that I would put in a tank.

Wood is great looking, I wonder how the "river" section will hold up over time. They tend to get mixed over time.
OverStocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:50 AM   #7
Green Thumb Aquatics
Algae Grower

"Osmocoat might be fine, about 5 grams per sq ft

This is a fair amount and you'll need to do many WC's in the beginning(2x a week for 1-2 months)"

recommended by Tom Barr

and that is way less than 10 grams, I would say probably about 3-4 grams total, if that.. look at the pic from the top view, its actually a really thin layer..
Old 01-21-2012, 04:12 AM   #8
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru

I've seen that post before too, but again I have to say it. That is too much osmocote. A dusting on the bottom is more than enough. The ammonia levels are going to be off the chart.

I've done more research and comparisons on this type of fertilizer than anyone in aquariums. Tom Barr is smarter and more experienced than me, but I've tested this to the max.

I think you should get a scale and weigh out 5 grams worth of osmocote too... 25 Gel caps filled with prill type fertilizer identical in size to Osmocote(RootMedic Complete) weighs about 1.5 oz. Roughly 42 grams.

The UP soil does contain nutrients and there was no reason to add more from the start.

For a starting level for a tank this size I would recommend around half of that. Take just a few osmocote prills and put them in a cup of water and test for ammonia 12 hours later.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:18 AM   #9
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru

In another thread Tom says this:
Quote:
A thin layer, maybe 5 grams per sq ft. This is not enough to even make full coverage of the bottom in a uniform way.
You've got pretty close to uniform coverage there, and I highly suspect that it much more than I'd be comfortable using.

Do as you please with your own tanks, just providing a word of caution.

I'll duck out now.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:29 AM   #10
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

This was good.
Theres two things im severely lacking. And one of them is a knowledge of how to arrange hardscape. This was a very good tutorial of sorts for me. Thank you very much.
Eldachleich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:32 AM   #11
Green Thumb Aquatics
Algae Grower

just weighed some out, you sir are correct.. looks like 25% daily water changes for the first 2 months.... good thing its only a 20 gal.. that'll be easy to do.... I would guess its around 15 grams... guess I shoulda measured that one first...
Old 01-21-2012, 04:36 AM   #12
Green Thumb Aquatics
Algae Grower

considering the filter is way more than needed, and its already been established on a heavily populated tank, hopefully that will help with it some....

overstocked do you happen to know if that amonia will break down like fish waste?
Old 01-21-2012, 04:46 AM   #13
Green Thumb Aquatics
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverStocked View Post

The UP soil does contain nutrients and there was no reason to add more from the start.

For a starting level for a tank this size I would recommend around half of that. Take just a few osmocote prills and put them in a cup of water and test for ammonia 12 hours later.

the reason for adding the extra soil on the bottom and the flourish, is I only have so much UP aquasoil and I have a build on a 75 gallon coming up where I want to do some pretty big sloping...

this year has been a bit slow for my upholstery biz and I do not have extra cash to buy more substrate for the 75 gallon... so I wanted to use the least amount possible on this tank

the MAIN reason however was, I have not done much with adding nutrients to substrates and after messing around for six months creating my liquid ferts, I really want to get into substrate fertilization, all my tanks I was running for the last 6-7 months were inert substrates so my plants were responding only to water column fertilization.. this way I could test my product and know for sure how it was working..

so you live and learn... as its just in the low spot going around the wood, not all the way across the substrate I hope it will not be too bad..

I will not have any critters in there untill tank stabilizes anyway, co2 is going to be super high for now.. hopefully the extra osmocote will not be too much of a PITA, I would hate to have problems with this tank as I really love the hardscape and am fully looking forward to the scape coming along with plants...
Old 01-21-2012, 04:50 AM   #14
CmLaracy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

creative hardscape, interested to see how you go about planting it
Old 01-21-2012, 05:07 AM   #15
Green Thumb Aquatics
Algae Grower

will plant tomorrow, but to give you the general idea

the front section on left where it will get nice light will get a plant similar to elainte triada(sp?), however it is locally collected and a bit different however a beautiful little plant..

to the far left but still kinda infront of the DW will be HM and I will be keeping it trimmed short

to the right of those but still on the left side of the tank, where the DW over shadows the substrate will be a coupla small crypts and alot of anubias

right by the trunk of the DW on the left will also be a little reg DHG that grows around 3"..

far far left back will be some B pennywort and the goal will be to have it grow out emersed onto the driftwood where I will be attaching a small amount of moss, mostly for the pennywort to keep a little moisture right where it switches from submersed to emersed and to keep the stem attached nicely to the wood..

to the right of the pennywort but still on the left in the rear, that nice open spot which will get decent light will be a bunch of blyxa

on the smaller right island there will be a mix of DHG belem, possibly a little HC if they have some tomorrow at the club meeting, possibly some riccia as I have 2 nice kinds sitting around needing to be used in something... anubias nana petite, dwarf hydrocotyle which I want to get to grow a little emersed like the pennywort that will be emersed on the left.. and some hydrocotyle verticalla(sp?) the lilly pad dr seus looking plant that I am very fond of.. possibly some moss throught the islands...

hope u can get a picture in your head.. I wanna keep it pretty simple, and the only hight from plants will be in the very back corners, other than that the blyxa and crypts should be the tallest plants in the tank...