Synaethetic's 20g | dat quad-t5 tho | - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-27-2012, 05:43 AM   #31
synaethetic
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Greenwater has been defeated, as a new foe rises. The silk algae has spread almost everywhere. It's not severe in any one particular spot, but it's an even spread in most sections of the tank.

The two methods of attack I am considering:

1) h202 doseage at 4ml per gallon, disconnecting the filter and shutting off the light for a few hours, letting it spread around the tank via powerhead. I would spot treat but it'd be a waste of time, it's everywhere.

2) complete blackout for X amount of days. X being at least three days.

Plant growth has been superb, here is a fulltank shot. The glosso I aggressively trimmed is sprouting new leaves everywhere, we'll see how long I can keep the GSA at bay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4685.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	42941  

Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4686.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	42942  

synaethetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 01:54 AM   #32
synaethetic
Planted Tank Obsessed

Spirogya! I'm a fool for having not discovered what kind of algae has been spreading in my tank til this point!

Yesterday, a few hours before my lights came on, I went ahead and dosed 50ml of a seemingly fresh bottle of h202. It circulated in my tank via powerhead as I left my 2213 disconnected for a few hours, to avoid killing all my BB. I've also upped my dose of excel to 5ml a day for the last few days, which I have now stopped.

I didn't see the algae fizz much, however there was an increased rate of pearling. A large patch of my overgrown riccia broke off from the bottom where it was shaded, likely due to dissolving browned growth. I was doubtful of it's algaecidal effects.

Today when the lights came on I discovered a few dead shrimp and some dead snails. The algae has definitely taken a blow, theres not much left anywhere in the tank. The rest of the inhabitants, otos, tetras, amanos and abundant RCS are doing fine.

I'm considering dosing about 20ml this evening to finish the job... hopefully it's not going to be overkill.

I've hooked up the powerhead again to increase flow, as well as installing my T5's legs to elevate my light off the tank a little. Air-stone running all night, no noon burst, etc.... I believe I've safely eliminated the causes of my recent greenwater and spirogya outbreak. GSA is no where in sight with the new glosso foreground, which is looking better and better every day.

The middle section needs a severe rescape. I really want to try out some tonia, but i don't know if that will be too much green.

It's unfortunate that photobucket has ruined the saturation of these images. If only I had the latest PS installed on my new hardrive I would be able to post some better images. For now these will have to do.

Take note in the clarity of the water, it's really turned around!

The new foreground, and some shrimp roaming to feast on their fallen brethren.

BBA has been appearing in a few spots, need to treat it with some excel soon.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:25 AM   #33
synaethetic
Planted Tank Obsessed

Purchased some plants today, the tank needed some red. Moved the blyxa and anubis petite to accomodate them. You'll notice I also trimmed the rear glosso down.

Any feedback would be awesome.... any at all hah.

Here are some shots:

Happy cardina japonica
Old 03-04-2012, 12:41 AM   #34
Pugman
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Your tank looks great. Have you thought about moving some of that equipment to the right? You've got plenty of tall plants to cover it up. Regardless it's pretty awesome.
Pugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:49 AM   #35
synaethetic
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you! The heater and skimmer just kill me, theres so much crap within the tank. I have an inline hydor heater hiding somewhere within my house that I cannont find, and I'm also shooting to get an inline diffusor soon. I'm pretty sure the skimmer is unnecessary, running an airstone through the night keeps the surface pretty much film free.

If I had an inline diffusor, then I would not need to use a powerhead to distribute the c02.... overall I definitely agree that the tank would look more appealing clutter free.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:08 AM   #36
synaethetic
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's been a few weeks, I suppose I will update this.

There had always been a couple tiny patches of BBA hiding with the glosso in this tank, but recently it has began to spread around. It seems to be avoiding most plants, growing on the rocks and i between the glosso where it can find room. I've been dosing about 17ml of h202 for the past few nights, keeping my filter sealed off. It doesn't seem to be responding, so I probably could have dosed more. But rather than going that route, I'm going to see what improved c02 levels and double dosing of excel does.

The ludwigia has really taken off, the wallichi has taken some time to adjust but the new growth on it is lovely.

I need to do some trimming... but heres a few rough shots of the tank. The glosso is growing very nicely in the excessively trimmed areas. Aromatica is growing back very thickly, and will likely dominate the wallichi unless I do something about it, either take it out or replace it...

Old 03-23-2012, 06:53 AM   #37
.Mko.
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I love your glosso it looks great =) is that airstone used for O2 at night?
Old 03-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #38
synaethetic
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yep, I run it runs from when the lights turn off at 10pm until noon the next day when they turn on. I'm curious that if I run my c02 24/7 i will have better luck against the BBA ... but i think the airstone would outgas any c02, but i could be wrong. Does anyone have any comments on this subject?
Old 03-28-2012, 07:03 AM   #39
synaethetic
Planted Tank Obsessed

3/27/12

Removed some glosso, trimmed and replanted some stems. Added a lilly pipe... Crummy photo, I'll take a better one tomorrow with less bubbles.

I think it looks pretty decent at this point. There is however an infestation of bba growing stealthily alongside it.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:32 AM   #40
synaethetic
Planted Tank Obsessed

BBA loving the rocks... ive upped the c02, to the point of a yellow drop checker (which you can see reflected.) However, I ran out of excel about a week ago and it had started spreading quickly. The shrimp don't touch it... :{
Old 03-31-2012, 08:57 AM   #41
Dollface
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (77/100%)

I can't help with the BBA but I really love the tank. If you don't mind a suggestion, I would actually switch the ludwigia and the wallichi so the red it acts as more of a focal point between the two stones to the right. If you want to get really wacky, have you considered adding some moss? Especially around the stones, I think the dark green would really stand out wonderfully around the glosso.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:18 AM   #42
synaethetic
Planted Tank Obsessed

There is some moss growing, about a golf ball size piece growing in front of and onto the large rock on the right. I ought to utilize it more effectively in the scape. Swapping the ludwigia and wallichi is a great idea, i will have to try it.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #43
mahko
Planted Member

Nice layout. Gives me some ideas thanks.

Few questions: Why does your output point directly at your intake? Changing that layout might allow you to remove the power head to improve aesthetics. Intake and output on the same side of the tank allow the water to circulate better.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:25 AM   #44
synaethetic
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've been moving the equipment around a lot lately. Today I moved the outflow and powerhead to the left side of the tank, and the c02 diffusor to the right side. I'm not very happy with it already, it doesn't spread the c02 as it did the way before... in which the bubbles have no chance to reach the surface.

I'd really like to get a lilly inflow . . and an inline heater and c02 diffusor. The equipment clutter really detracts from the scape. Until I have some spare funds to support the tank I'm just going to have to deal with it.

You can see how tall the glosso is in the previous photo. Since cutting the 120 watts down to just the 50w T5HO the glosso has decided to grow much more vertical . . . I'd really like to purchase some sort of improved lighting which I could hang with a DIY light stand. I know there are some ADA knock off's of Solar 1's and whatnot . . or maybe an LED alternative.

I trimmed the glosso today and discovered a dead oto which seemed to of wiggled his way down into the 3" thick carpet and never get out. Poor guy. Looked like he had been dead for some time... 3 otos remain! The shrimp were happy to finish most of his remains. Without the glosso forest you can really see the bba. On the rocks, small crypts, a bit here and there on some wallichi stems which are still transitioning to my aquarium. I need to start dosing excel again.

I'll get around to taking some pictures tomorrow.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:05 AM   #45
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Looking forward to some more pics. Sweet tank!

I was debating whether to go with glosso or not for a carpeting plant. This thread sold me.
Hyzer is offline   Reply With Quote