Synaethetic's 20g | dat quad-t5 tho | - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #16
kcartwright856
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Gorgeous!

Lover of kuhli loaches and dwarf puffers!
RAOK Club #123!
KC's Uninteresting Tank
kcartwright856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2012, 02:03 AM   #17
synaethetic
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks for everyone's compliments! It mean's a lot to me that I have succeeded at growing this plants and breeding these shrimp.

@sketch804: Everything except the aubis and blyxa pearl like crazy. Part of it is c02 bubbles landing on the plants, but there are tons of bubble streams rising from the glosso so I know the plants are pearling in addition to this.

@Hawkian: I purchased all of my plants at a lfs called Neptune's Aquatics in Santa Clara. The c02 diffusor is a no-name cheapo plastic one i bought there as well, it gets the job done.

@ChadRamsey: Ah yes, thank you for clearly up my uncertainty. Purchased it at my lfs; ^^^ It's growing really well. The majority all have little stems poking up at the bottom, so when i trim im going to plant the tops around the stubs to promote some bushyness. I'm beginning to dose low amount of iron to see if i can bring out the purple more.
synaethetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:54 AM   #18
sketch804
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)

This is the one I was talking about...but I should have just re-read your original post, I believe its Ricca. But beautiful tank!

sketch804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:03 AM   #19
synaethetic
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've made some new additions to the tank, including 7 Dwarf Red Tailed Rasboras, 2 crystal red shrimp, and 3 amano shrimp.

There is some algae I have noticed growing in several places on my glosso that I am unfamiliar with. It's very hard to see, but there thin green strings, thinner than a human hair, light green in color, about half an inch long in several patches. Filamentous algae? I was flipping through an ADA magazine and in the algae section I saw what looked like mine. ADA claims amano's eat it, therefore I picked up a couple.

In this macro shot you can see a strand of this algae behind the cherry shrimp.

Happy shrimps

So small and difficult to photograph! They don't school too much yet, I should add many many more. They are minuscule, perhaps the bio-load of an adult shrimp. In the lower left you can see one of the primary clumps of this new algae.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #20
synaethetic
Planted Tank Obsessed

Bump for an algae ID, before this get's lost in pages of journals..
Old 02-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #21
Hcancino
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

i think its a type of hair algae. i got some recently and havent been able to get rid of it. hopefully you dont get hydra next like i did
Hcancino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:26 AM   #22
synaethetic
Planted Tank Obsessed

One of my CRS has passed this evening . .well, if it's not dead it's close. I believe it was due to excess c02 . . . as soon as I saw it not moving I added an airstone and shut off the c02. Everyone else in the tank, all the shrimp and fish, including the other crs, seem to be fine.

I turned it up from about one-bubble a second to two. My drop checker never yellowed, remained green. It's been blue in the morning from running an air pump nightly.

I'm considering running my c02 24/7 at a low rate, while still aerating at night by raising my spray bar. This will keep more of a stable pH... right?

The unknown algae is spreading at a slow rate. I ought to add more amanos maybe, a little army of them to ensure it's taken care of. I've yet to take a toothbrush to it, but thats my next step.

I trimed the aromatica, and replanted it at the stumps, it's a quite a dense thickit now. I'll take a pic tomorrow but the tank is cloudy from a bacteria bloom. I had a primarily empty 2213, just filled the rest of it with some eheim efstrate? or whatever it's called, the porous rock.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #23
synaethetic
Planted Tank Obsessed

Another week down, another water change. I changed out 10 gallons as opposed to the usual 8 due to some water cloudiness, that until i poured down the drain and saw the faint green tint to it, was under the impression it was purely a bacteria bloom. Seems to have gone away . . .

My nitrates tested much higher than usual on wednesday, almost 40ppm! Which is what killed one of my crs . . . the other is doing fine, and when i checked the nitrate levels last night they were under 20ppm. After this water change they tested at around 5ppm. I'm hesitant to dose it up at all . . . not knowing if they're going to increase at all or not. Do not want to loose any other shrimp! Speaking of which . . found a dead oto today. He was the smallest out of all of them . . maybe he got outcompeted for algae, the rest of them are much fatter.

Hacked the aromatica, and a few spots of the glosso. Need to do something with the riccia, it's out growing the stones. I don't really want it in the scape anymore... i'd like to re-do the middle. Not a clue what to add, if anyone has some suggestions let me know.

I believe my noon burst of 6hrs with the 65w CF 10,000k is causing the GSA development on the glosso . . . 115 watts is a lot of light to have over a 20 gallon, especially since it's all sitting right on the tank haha. I've gotten away with it so far but with having to lower c02 for the shrimp has let the algae start off. Maybe i should just run the T5HO fixture? I'm thinking so, but in the mean time i've cut down on my noon burst to 4 hours. The silk algae is also spreading... i think it's due to low micro's, which i barely dose....

Some photos:

The silk algae is just barely visible on the glosso.

Shrimp hunting?

I'm leaving tomorrow morning for a backpacking trip, won't be returning til later in the week. I'm considering not having any noon burst while im gone to avoid anything getting worse. Not being here to dose the daily excel is really going to get to me
Old 02-19-2012, 12:55 AM   #24
synaethetic
Planted Tank Obsessed

Returned from my camping trip to a cloudy tank.

It's been five days since I have reduced the lighting, as well as up the phosphate's and c02.

I trimmed the glosso very close to the substrate today, as it had begun to grow over it's self. I search for information on the subject, but couldn't find much advice here on the forum, however a few youtube videos gave a me a good idea of how i should do it.

I'm hoping it will grow in just as dense with half the lighting... even though my fixture apparently places my tank within the high light range. I'll avoid any GSA and silk/filamentous algae this way hopefully.

The greenwater will hopefully fade away now that I have addressed the issues... I really don't want to buy a UV, or fus with a diatom filter. Tomorrow I will change out ten gallons, it'll look pretty for a few days but I imagine it will get worse again . .

Plants are still growing very well. I need to rid the tank of the riccia soon, which looks like crap and grow vertical . . . wish it was dwarf riccia. =/

drop checker getting greener, it starts off deep blue every morning after the air pump shuts off. It's about as green as my water between taking that picture and now.

Pearling aromatica.

Interesting new growth on the left, where the stems are coming from the base, pretty sure thats more of how it's supposed to look.

With a root system like this; I am hoping the glosso makes a nice recovery.

Juvenile and adult cherry's exploring their new landscape.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #25
synaethetic
Planted Tank Obsessed

And here's the tank after today's 50% wc. Some improvement I suppose.

Would performing another 50% in a few days do me any good in ridding the tank of greenwater? Or perhaps daily 10% changes?

Old 02-19-2012, 11:17 PM   #26
2in10
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Love the design on the scape. Not sure what to tell you on the green water, wishing you a quick clearing.
2in10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #27
synaethetic
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks 2in10, the scape is temporary. The riccia needs to go and I am going to re-do the center. I'd also like to rip out more glosso in the back left of the tank to have more stems on the left side, to balance the tank more. I'd like to get more anubis and plant them inbetween then glosso foreground and the stem background. Eventually I'll also remove the skimmer and heater and replace them with a lilly pipe and in-line heater.

Hopefully the greenwater will be gone soon!
Old 02-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #28
synaethetic
Planted Tank Obsessed

Did a ton of searching and unearthed an ancient thread that I had started with my old user name; take a look if you would like too!

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...ost348828.html

Some of you old timers may remember some of my other threads back then.

Update:

Greenwater is looking less green day by day, very glad theres an ending in sight, considering I didn't take any dire actions to rid the tank of it.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:38 AM   #29
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Looks good. There are two ways to deal with green water, wait it out or use a UV sterilizer. You can change 90% of the water but the spores reproduce so quickly that you will likely be in the same place the next day.

Are you going to let the Glosso grow up to the height of the rocks in back? I think that would look pretty nice.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:32 AM   #30
synaethetic
Planted Tank Obsessed

Waiting it out seems to be working, as it is not getting any worse. A week ago i could not see the back of the tank. Now, 3 days after the sunday water change, the water has clouded much more. It's still hazey, but with a larger water change this weekend I think it will be looking even better. I've upped the C02 a lot, my checker almost went yellow today but i turned down right at the yellow-green point. The shrimp did not seem affected.

Since I trimmed the glosso I've been able to watch all my young shrimp, they are super active. Watched them swarm a crushed snail today, battling over who gets it. Lots of snails in my tank, i crush the the ones on the glass close to the surface and I have observed all of my shrimp feasting on the remains.

Theres new growth on the glosso much quicker than I imagined, its been four days since I trimmed it to the ground and theres new bunches of leafs sprouting all over. With a higher phosphate level I am hoping to avoid all GSA with this new carpet. Hopefully it will be even denser than the last. I may end up removing the large section of glosso in the back, perhaps selling it on here. I'd like to make room for more plants, particular red stem plants of some sort.