Aymie's Aquarium Adventures
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-30-2014, 03:46 PM   #1
Aymie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Aymie's Aquarium Adventures

What started as a casual affair has become an all consuming obsession. I used to spend my money on nail polish and fun stuff to play with in my glass studio. Now I spend it on water testing supplies and plants. By way of an emergency, I now have three planted tanks: a 2.5g, a 10g and a 30g. All three tanks are 100% bio-filtration.

The 2.5g was set up as a hospital tank for Felix, my male half-moon Betta. He was beat up pretty bad by a new female (she has been returned) and then got a bit of fungus on a torn up fin. I set up the tiny tank so I could add some aquarium salt and not bother the snails in the 30g. I am using a small air driven filter with clay medium and a Spathiphyllum. The tank is planted with some Ammania Gracilis, Rotala Indica and Frogbit. There is a sprig of something that came as an extra in some plants I got in the mail. I will likely ask for identification of these soon. There are lots of illegal aquatic plants here in Texas and I want to make sure I am not growing any of them.

The 10g was my starter tank here at this house, and is my best tank. Power filter with planting medium and Spathiphyllum, Golden Pathos and an unknown type of fern. I bought the fern a year ago as an aquatic plant in a tube, and pulled it out of the water some time back since it was clearly not meant to live submerged, and it destroyed the water quality. Tank is fairly well planted with a variety of Saggitaria, Anubias, Contortion Vallisneria, Marble Queen Sword and Frogbit. Four Corydoras panda, two female veiltail and one female crowntail Betta.

My 30g is my newest baby and my biggest project. It has an undergravel filter and is planted with just a few bits of things: a large Apontogeton Undulatus, a Banana Plant and Frogbit. Currently, the only inhabitants of this tank are seven apple snails in a variety of colors. The goal of this tank is to create an environment that is great for both the snails and the betta to thrive. Before moving out of the 10g and being attacked by a new rescue, Felix was building his ladies a fantastic bubble nest. I keep the water level in this tank a few inches below the top to allow the snails to have room to lay their eggs. There is a lot of snail lovin' going on in my tank. I am playing around with plants to see what I can get to grow well at the surface so Felix can have a place to make his nests, and I can keep roots out of the gravel.

Water quality in everything is fair per my check this morning. All was perfect expect Nitrates (20 in smaller two and 30 in larger), which I expected with the new plants. There was a fair amount of foliage that died off. The snails had such a blast trimming up the Apontogeton that I considered dropping one or two in the 10g for a day to let them do their work. They really are fantastic for cleaning up the dead, and leaving all the living. I tossed them the dead bit that were already too far gone when the plants arrived as well, so it's no surprise to me that their water was the worst today. The new plants have been in for two weeks, and no water change in between. All in all I think it's not bad considering the mess these little boogers can make and the minimal filtration in this tank.

I will take some pictures of all three tanks after trimming the plants and doing water changes today. Hopefully some of y'all can help me out with the few random plants I have. There is a wealth of information on this forum and I hope that in time I can give back as much as I have already gained.
Aymie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2014, 04:55 PM   #2
koiboi
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I enjoyed reading that and am glad you're having fun. It's nice sometimes to just read about someone's enjoyment of the hobby instead of fussing over whether or not to move this $40 rock three inches to the left!
koiboi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.