Dan's ADA 45-C fitted with bulkheads - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #16
londonloco
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

subscribed.....
londonloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #17
dantra
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown193 View Post
Hey, nice work on drilling the holes, I know I would have been nervous as well. I know gl[censored][censored][censored][censored][censored][censored][censored]s dot com sell the drilling kits which people use for drilling the reef tanks, which comes with some putty to put around the hole so you can put water near the hole your drilling and it is contained there until the hole is made obviously. I am looking forward to seeing more pics on this build. Oh and whatever you do, do not use the Power Sand stuff from ADA. It is so annoying and I can't get rid of it in my tank. Good luck.

P.S. If and only if you have the extra cash flow in hand I would shoot for the ADA Solar light. I would more uniform with the tank you have.
Ok so you're voting for the Solar l which is my families choice because they simply like the look of it. I'm concerned about it being MH 150w, that's a lot of light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototyp3 View Post
Great attitude man...

*subscribed for fun*
Now that's hilarious. Seem like that's what you've been rooting for all along disguised as concern. It's okay, I'm not upset, just having fun. It will be the naysayers and doubters that will help make this thread very interesting.

I will say this, no matter the success or failure of this journal, I will show it all no matter what.

Dan
dantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #18
prototyp3
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)

I seriously want it to work. Water on your floor does nothing for me. I was researching the possibility because I'd like to do this on my ADA tanks.

Regarding light choice, the Solar is really nice. They are built like a tank. You can reduce the light intensity by raising it up, using screen, etc. With concerns about quality of the fishneedit light, you might want to look into the German-made Aqua Medic Ocean Light 70w pendant. It's what the fishneedit light was modeled after.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:55 AM   #19
dantra
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm almost finished with the stand I built for the tank with the bulkheads. Here are a few photos of the stand:

You can clearly see the holes for the bulkheads.

Door wide open

Stand all by itself

Last but not least, I'll be using the mat to sit the tank on
and also line the bottom of the stand with to limit vibration
and noise.

Dan
Old 01-19-2012, 03:16 AM   #20
dantra
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here are a few more:

ADA 45-C on stand

ADA Garden Mat on stand

Another ADA Garden Mat on stand photo

Dan
Old 01-19-2012, 06:55 AM   #21
dantra
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgin28 View Post
Cool, I love the idea of a clean cube. It will be fun to see where this goes.
To be honest with you so am I. There's no turning back now

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post
That a nice job. What canister are you planning on using?
I will be using an Eheim 2217 canister filter. I don't know what the flow will be like until I test it and even then I have to cut that flow rate in half to simulate plants, rocks and driftwood in the tank.

I have an Eheim 1103 Compact+ Marine Needle Wheel Pump that was given to me awhile back. I used it on a previous tank I had and I just may incorporate it into the lines if I need a boost in flow or I could just drill two more holes and add another canister filter

The pump can boost flow and I can use it for CO2 because its a needle wheel pump. Here is a photo of the tank that I used the 2217 and the pump on:

Here is the other tank my son took over for me. Actually he kind of just took over, with my supervision of course. He implemented EI for dosing, used the 2217 filter and the 1103 needle wheel pump. I was just getting him use to the basics of taking care of the plants. He loved it and enjoyed every minute of it. He has been with me every step of the way with this tank as well.

I have not posted a photo of his tank anywhere so this will be the first. Be gentle with your critique, he's only 7 years old:

I know the tank doesn't have the best scape however he has a greener thumb than I do. Inspite of his age, the kid can grow some plants. He was consistent and adamant about taking care of the aquarium. Connor (my sons name) would clean the filter every month without failure. I told him that it wasn't necessary to clean the filter so often but he would reply, "Dad, it's no problem." Every week while doing a water change, he would also clean the glass, give the rocks a slight scrubbing and prune the plant, making sure all of the dead/dying leaves were removed. He did so much more and had a better maintenance schedule than I ever had.

We all get lazy sometimes with maintenance but Connor was border line annoying with taking care of the tank/equipment. The planted tank was his puppy and he took good care of it. He's hinting about taking over this one as well but we'll see.

I took him to ADG in Houston where I spoke to Jeff Senske briefly and my son Connor and I hung out with Frank Wazeter a bit. Jeff Senske didn't mind us hanging out in the warehouse while I showed Connor the pallets of the different types of driftwood, rocks, equipment and tanks that were there, in fact that's where ADG houses everything they sell. Jeff Senske walked right inside while Connor and I had free reign of the place, he had a blast.

Frank Wazeter is a great guy. He showed us around the showroom. He was very patient with Connor and encourage him to look around. On our way out he gave Connor a copy of "The Book Of ADA", well needless to say he hasn't put that book down yet, looking through it every day. That's why he is hinting at me to get the Solar l and that's why he wants to take over the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahunter View Post
I did it. You may not like the way it looks but it works like a charm lol
I read your journal and I think it looks great. I see nothing wrong with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown193 View Post
Hey, nice work on drilling the holes, I know I would have been nervous as well. I know gl[censored][censored][censored][censored][censored][censored][censored]s dot com sell the drilling kits which people use for drilling the reef tanks, which comes with some putty to put around the hole so you can put water near the hole your drilling and it is contained there until the hole is made obviously. I am looking forward to seeing more pics on this build. Oh and whatever you do, do not use the Power Sand stuff from ADA. It is so annoying and I can't get rid of it in my tank. Good luck.

P.S. If and only if you have the extra cash flow in hand I would shoot for the ADA Solar light. I would more uniform with the tank you have.
You know, after drilling those holes, I think I would do it again. We all get nervous doing something for the first time but the more you do it the better you get at it . The ADA Solar l would have to be raise significantly if use with this tank. Not sure though.

Dan

Last edited by dantra; 01-19-2012 at 03:18 PM..
Old 01-22-2012, 05:01 AM   #22
dantra
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well not much progress, I'm still waiting for the bulkheads to arrive. I did receive the grommets and installed them. I used a total of three, one on each side and the third one was placed on the lower back of the stand. Clearly the inspiration for the stand and the addition of grommets came from Jason Baliban.

Last edited by dantra; 01-22-2012 at 09:27 PM..
Old 01-28-2012, 12:20 AM   #23
dantra
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, the bulkheads and Loc-Line finally arrived. I installed them but they seem to sit a bit low to me. I picked up a couple of risers to raise the Loc-line and strainer to about 3.5".

I drilled the holes on the top of the stand for the bulkheads. The ADA Garden mat was easy to cut out and cleared the bulkheads nicely.

Here are the photos of the Loc-line and strainer without the risers installed:

Here is a photo looking into the tank from the top:

I also got the rest of the barbs I was waiting for, a Hydor Heater and a few other things I'll need for the build. I was thinking about using a Rex Grigg reactor as oppose to the 1103, not sure though.

More to come.

Dan
Old 01-28-2012, 01:32 AM   #24
fusiongt
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I know it's a waste of money but it would be sweet if the sump was an ADA tank as well =)
Old 01-28-2012, 01:41 AM   #25
dantra
Planted Tank Enthusiast

LOL that actually made me laugh out loud. That would be a waste of a beautiful tank.

The only thing that's from ADA so far is the tank and the Garden Mat, maybe the lights not sure we'll see.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #26
dantra
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here is the riser I used to raise the Lock-Line and strainer to about 3 inches.

The setup is coming together. I still need to place an order for Aquasoil and plants. I have just about everything else. The regulator, reactor, rocks, driftwood, filter and the aluminum CO2 tank are from the ADA 60p I had. Got me a heater, and pretty much everything else I need to get started. The only thing that's up in the air are the lights.

Dan
Old 01-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #27
aretreesfree
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

why not LED?
aretreesfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #28
dantra
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I know LED's are trendy, fashionable, the "in thing" to get, the next great light fixture that a lot of people seem to rally behind but I just don't see it yet. I know it consumes less energy and all but they can't touch T5HO or MH.

People I know and trust back east gave me mixed reviews. Some say the LED's are significantly dimmer than the power compact they used and others say they can't touch T5HO's or MH. While others tell me its just right. I translate that to mean underpowered for anything other than specific plants they chose to use in their scape.

They may be great and all but my tank is 18" deep and I really don't want to replace the LED's I got because they weren't up to task. If my Tek fixture was 18" wide I would use them in a heart beat but they are 24" and stick out on both ends. It doesn't look visually appealing to the wife and my son voted along with her.

The tank is going to be placed where it will be seen all the time so I would like it to look decent enough for all to enjoy. I know long answer but there you have it.

I haven't discounted the 70w fishneedit lights yet which are inexpensive but the quality is questionable to me. I would rather buy quality any day than save a few bucks and having to replace it later down the road but that's just me. Hope I answered your question .

Dan
Old 01-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #29
fusiongt
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantra View Post
LOL that actually made me laugh out loud. That would be a waste of a beautiful tank.

The only thing that's from ADA so far is the tank and the Garden Mat, maybe the lights not sure we'll see.
Agreed it's a waste but a sump that is an ADA tank = baller status for sure! Regardless, subscribed and looking forward to seeing more.

As for LED lights, bleh leave those to the people who barely grow plants lol
Old 01-30-2012, 11:12 PM   #30
zergling
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

A local sfbaaps member has a custom 3-channel LED fixture on his 12" cube, with first gen 3W cree xr-e's. At 1 channel at 100%, and another at 25%, he was getting 1340 umol at the surface, and 530 somewhere in the middle. He has anywhere from 210 down to 75 umol at the substrate, depending on how far away from the center and how much lower the substrate it.

LED's can be anywhere from just enough to serious overkill. Comments about being significantly dimmer only means that the light spill is minimized due to good optics (?) and thus seemingly less dim to the human eye. This is especially important to know when comparing to PC lights - where even if you have the best (MIRO-4) reflectors, you'll still have light spill / glare. This glare makes it look "bright" but it's actually less light landing inside the tank / more light outside / wasted.

I have a 18" cube with a single 36W PC light - ADA 8000K bulb and so-so reflectors. This makes for a nice low light low maintenance tank. If I want faster plant growth, I'll just another of the same light, pressurized CO2 and EI dosing.

I'm a fanboy of T5HO (have a ATI Powermodule on my ADA tank) - but for an 18" planted cube, I think the 36W PC's are actually an (almost?) perfect fit.

......now how about you let me pay you to build me a stand just like that, huh?