30g shallow cube
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
Positron
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

30g shallow cube

Well I can feel a serious case of MTS coming on! I've seen a few threads about these guys, specifically OVT's shallow rep tank. I found it very interesting with some good aquascaping implications. Currently I'm into my second month on my 40b and 7.5 mr aqua cube. They are both coming along and It's been stunning watching the growth of both fish and flora.

So I've been thinking about making this tank either an Apisto or Killifish tank with the hopes of breeding. Since I want them to breed I'll need to aquascape some natural looking caves, or in the case of the killi's simply make sure there are plenty of dense plants. I wonder if this tank will support 2 males and 5-6 female killi's without the males going nuts on each other. Need to do some research on these species.

Tentative equipment:
24 x 24 x 12 shallow tank by Mr. Aqua or deep blue. My idea dimensions would be 24 x 20 x 16 but I dont' think that tank exists!

Perfecto 24 x 24 stand. I'm thinking of DIY possibilities here. I've been wondering if h4n's racks found at home depot / lowes would be ok. I'd like to have room for a few 10g for fry if needed.

2x 24 in Current USA freshwater LED+ (PAR of 36 @ 12 inches, using two because of how wide the tank is)

Eco-Complete with a base of osmocote sprinkled in (just a bit so the substrate can suck it up). I'm still deciding on this. I might go with Miracle grow organic potting soil topped with fluorite sand.

Fluval 306

Hydor 200 w inline

Max min co2 reactor

Flora:
Alternating bands of green and red. The best picture of this tank will be taken from the top when all filtration is off.
I need either slow growing or not very tall species. A few Things that creep up the back and emerge into the air isn't bad either, but I don't want a swamp in the corner of my tank.

Fauna:
Killi or Apisto fish (still haven't decided)
After research, maybe a few things that can go well with my chosen main inhabitance.

As I think about this more, a lot of stuff will change
Positron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Looking forward to this. I have seen OVT's in person a few times and I really don't think you can capture this tank at all through photos. Best view is from the top as well. I like your plan of bands of red and green.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote