The Rescape! Chlorophile's Mini M - Now with driftwood! - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-07-2012, 11:36 PM   #31
Chlorophile
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
dood it would be cool if you have a tripod, take pictures of the same frame everyday, then silde shows over 3 weeks period!
Oh I do have a tripod and I tried that before but I don't have the diligence to take the pictures every day and I rarely leave my tripod in one spot for more than a week because I like to photograph weird stuff that needs a long exposure.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:40 PM   #32
Chlorophile
Wannabe Guru

Week 2 - Day 14 HC is growing in quick - interestingly the stuff in the shade on the right side of the tank is growing faster - I wonder what that is about..

Please pardon the HC cupcake sitting on my big rock!
Saving it for a wabikusa once I have funds to make a light for it.

I also noticed you can't really see my fifth rock.. makes it look like I have 4 which isn't so great.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:53 PM   #33
Chlorophile
Wannabe Guru

And here is an HDR of the tank!
Not the most realistic but it was fun to make anyway.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:41 AM   #34
Doc7
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

How do you make an HDR? Growth looks great
New Jersey? Nearby State? Join the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club!! Meetups, Swaps, Local Members to discuss your tank, issues, and accomplishments!
NJAGC Member since 11/2011
Doc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:42 AM   #35
thief
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

Keep us posted! I'm really interested in how the final product of your HC carpet is going to look considering the fact that you are keeping the HC "moist." Most journals I've seen show the substrate very saturated with water.
- ADA Mini-M Pimp #7 -

ADA Mini M: Recoil
thief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:37 AM   #36
synaethetic
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

You're dry start is going very well. I've got to try your technique of not actually planting them, seems to work better.

I tried a dry start a few months ago. Didn't go so well, half of it yellowed and the parts which managed to spread were overcome with some sort of emergent hair algae.

Very clean combined set up, digging the foam cut out for the stand's openings. Slick!
synaethetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:40 AM   #37
HypnoticAquatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

whats your lighting schedule like? doing it the way you are is a basic aeroponic set up with a couple things changed, which is why u will have much better growth and no root decay. if your shaded side is growing faster that could be a sign that its getting to much light (time/intensity) but if its just growing up thats normal as its shaded and trying to grow to the light. either way u should know soon either way if that side fills in try toning down the light if its just growing up then u know its just from shade, if thats the case just tape some aluminum foil to the side to help light get around that rock and back to the substrate

there are little tips and tricks to make it even faster not really needed and u have down what u need imo. if u can cover all the sides so no light can get in or out might help out, and id do a 14hrson 10off or 18on 6off light sched. just watch your plant it will speak to u when its happy or not.

Last edited by HypnoticAquatic; 02-08-2012 at 05:53 AM..
HypnoticAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:44 AM   #38
kcartwright856
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Love the rock pieces that you chose! With the plants, it reminds me of a hillside in Great Britain.

Lover of kuhli loaches and dwarf puffers!
RAOK Club #123!
KC's Uninteresting Tank
kcartwright856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:26 AM   #39
sayurasem
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypnoticAquatic View Post
whats your lighting schedual like? doing it the way you are is a basic aeroponic set up with a couple things changed, which is why u will have much better growth and no root decay. if your shaded side is growing faster that could be a sign that its getting to much light (time/intensity) but if its just growing up thats normal as its shaded and trying to grow to the light. either way u should know soon either way if that side fills in try toning down the light if its just growing up then u know its just from shade, if thats the case just tape some aluminum foil to the side to help light get around that rock and back to the substrate

there are little tips and tricks to make it even faster not really needed and u have down what u need imo. if u can cover all the sides so no light can get in or out might help out, and id do a 14 8 or 18 6 light sched. just watch your plant it will speak to u when its happy or not.

I don't get what you mean by 14 8 or 18 6 light sched.
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:56 AM   #40
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Loving the setup, really love the Ohko stone you have in the tank!!!!
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:48 AM   #41
Chlorophile
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc7 View Post
How do you make an HDR? Growth looks great
You can make an HDR in photoshop CS5 or in Photomatix by combining multiple pictures that are taken at different EV (exposure values)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief View Post
Keep us posted! I'm really interested in how the final product of your HC carpet is going to look considering the fact that you are keeping the HC "moist." Most journals I've seen show the substrate very saturated with water.
Thanks for the interest! It is growing quite well, the coming 2 weeks will be where most of the growth happens, the first 2 weeks are all adjustment and roots.
You can see how all there is in the tank is condensation - all the soil is moist from the constant evaporation and condensation that repeats as the tank warms and cools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaethetic View Post
You're dry start is going very well. I've got to try your technique of not actually planting them, seems to work better.

I tried a dry start a few months ago. Didn't go so well, half of it yellowed and the parts which managed to spread were overcome with some sort of emergent hair algae.

Very clean combined set up, digging the foam cut out for the stand's openings. Slick!
Sprinkling the HC on the surface definitely seems to give more of a headstart and the HC puts down roots just fine - if you have the patience to not flood it for a while this is the way to go, but if I flooded right now I think about half of it would float.

I've had issues with yellowing the past, and the emergent hair algae - it was a nightmare and eventually killed all my HC, this method is much better for preventing algae, although you do see a good bit of yellowing where some leaves and roots die off as a result of just laying on the surface.

Quote:
whats your lighting schedule like? doing it the way you are is a basic aeroponic set up with a couple things changed, which is why u will have much better growth and no root decay. if your shaded side is growing faster that could be a sign that its getting to much light (time/intensity) but if its just growing up thats normal as its shaded and trying to grow to the light. either way u should know soon either way if that side fills in try toning down the light if its just growing up then u know its just from shade, if thats the case just tape some aluminum foil to the side to help light get around that rock and back to the substrate

there are little tips and tricks to make it even faster not really needed and u have down what u need imo. if u can cover all the sides so no light can get in or out might help out, and id do a 14hrson 8off or 18on 6off light sched. just watch your plant it will speak to u when its happy or not.
I'm on a 16 on 8 off light cycle right now.

I think the stuff in the shade is growing better because of moisture issues.
It doesn't get as much light so I think it's not drying out as much but the stuff in the middle is doing good, just not quite as good.

There is a bit of what you mentioned too - leggier taller growth in the shade, but the leaves are bigger too and it looks a lot fuller as a result.

Hadn't thought about it as a makeshift aeroponic set up - it does meet certain criteria!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcartwright856 View Post
Love the rock pieces that you chose! With the plants, it reminds me of a hillside in Great Britain.
Interesting! My mothers side of the family actually lives in Stoke-On-Trent and I recently visited and we went up to Wales which did have a similar kind of look now that you mention it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
I don't get what you mean by 14 8 or 18 6 light sched.
He's talking about how many hours the lights are on vs off - but made a little booboo on the hours in the day when he said 14 8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx View Post
Loving the setup, really love the Ohko stone you have in the tank!!!!
Thanks! I like them a lot, they are an underrated stone IMO.
I really love the blue and red tint they have - even more pronounced when underwater too!
Old 02-08-2012, 05:54 AM   #42
HypnoticAquatic
Wannabe Guru

lol fixed, its due to those days that feel real short and u dont know why ;p.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:59 AM   #43
Chlorophile
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
lol fixed, its due to those days that feel real short and u dont know why ;p.
That explains it!
This year is a leap year, I guess its to make up for when we all have a day with only 22 hours in it haha!
Old 02-08-2012, 06:15 AM   #44
HypnoticAquatic
Wannabe Guru

if your seeing better growth from the side that is retaining more water then u really should spray once a day, or use a humidifier *lazymansway* you can also have water standing in the bottom where no roots will get to might help with a little extra humidity just keep about 1.5 inch min away from the root, then u could also use a heat pad to heat the water and provide more humidity and faster growth depending on curent temps. there are other things u can do but you should get and be pleased with the growth soon(gotta keep some secrets) ya know.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #45
akpoly
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I started my tank a week before you did and flooded my soil. Got some fungus problems that took half of my HC. I gotta say I took out most of the water in my tank (about 2 inches below the surface) and the hc isn't having any fungus problems now.
akpoly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, ada stand, aquasoil, iwagumi, mini m, solar mini