Dave's Fluval Edge
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-04-2012, 05:48 AM   #1
davidj12
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Dave's Fluval Edge

So I'm a long time viewer but new poster. I've had this edge for about 3 years now. It started out as a total disaster but over time with the help of TPT forums I've been able to hone my skills and start to look like I sorta know what I'm doing. Thanks everyone for your posts without them I'd have a cube full of water, substrate, fish and most likely some dead plants.

Fluval Edge
Eco Complete
MR11 LED Lights
Ghetto eBay LED strips (they were just a whim but ended up working really well)
GLA paintball reg
Atomic Diffuser
Pfertz N&M Dosed every other day

Flora

HC
Blyxa japonica (I think)
Staurogyne repens
Christmas moss
Anubias nana 'Petite'
Fissiden fontanus
Some unknown plants

Fauna

Boraras brigittae
Celestial pearl danio
Cherry shrimp
Amano Shrimp (they are dicks when it comes to the HC I'm considering donating them back to my LFS coz they are pulling it up)

I Don't have any pictures of the super early days (believe me you don't want to see) all petco plants and mostly melted after some time. I turned to these forums and they changed.

I apologize for the awful photos but I'm still trying to figure out the best way to photograph this tank.

First try with CO2

A few months later

Most recently

davidj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2012, 06:18 AM   #2
CryptKeeper54
Planted Tank Obsessed

Very nice.... looks like maybe crypt lucens in the background. That eco complete is 3 years old? You ever added root tabs or something?
CLUBS: 12 Gal Long Club,***Nikon Pimp #062***
RETIRED: ADA Mini M, Schuber Wright Mini 66, Fluval Spec, Fluval Spec V, EheimAquastyle 6g, Fluval Edge 6g, 44 Pentagon
Owner/Creator of Plantednanotanks.com
CryptKeeper54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:44 AM   #3
davidj12
Algae Grower

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryptKeeper54 View Post
Very nice.... looks like maybe crypt lucens in the background. That eco complete is 3 years old? You ever added root tabs or something?
Thanks! Good to know. That plant grows so fast it's crazy. It's one of the first plants I ever had and I can't believe it's lasted this long. Did put some root tabs in a few months ago. Although I followed the directions I think I used too many. Now I'm a little skittish to use them. Not quite sure the interval that they are necessary. Just another thing to learn. Everything has been growing well recently so I figure why mess with it.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:24 AM   #4
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I think that the "Danger!" On the CO2 looks rad...

And i like what you did with the lack of floor space in the edge.. mines DSM'ing with exoterra clay burrowing substrate 50/50 mixed with silica sand, dhg only.
steven p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
davidj12
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven p View Post
I think that the "Danger!" On the CO2 looks rad...

And i like what you did with the lack of floor space in the edge.. mines DSM'ing with exoterra clay burrowing substrate 50/50 mixed with silica sand, dhg only.
Thanks!

In retrospect the edge while beautiful has been very difficult to scape. I've been having to fight its limitations every inch of the way. But it was the tank that got me back into this hobby after many years and I'm still happy with the way it's evolved.

The funny thing is that it was purchased at the request or well allowance of my wife. I had wanted to get back into the hobby for a while, but she thought that all the tanks out there looked too ugly. Browsing a local pet store we saw an edge set up and I think her exact words were "I'd let you put that one in the house" and we left with it that day!

I don't think I'd change a thing. Well I would possibly be singing a different tune on trimming day. Trying to trim HC properly through that little hole is such a pain in the rear!
Old 08-31-2012, 03:43 AM   #6
davidj12
Algae Grower

Well I screwed up. While cleaning last Sunday I saw some BBA in the Christmas Moss. During the water change I squirted some excel on it and well it ended up killing almost the whole bunch. Everything looked great and then I came home on Wednesday and it was mostly brown. Guess I should have checked before treating full strength.

This is the aftermath. Hopefully what little moss is left will grow!