Repashy Superfoods Discussion thread! - Page 7
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Invertebrates by Msjinkzd

Old 01-30-2012, 11:17 PM   #91
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

No, not other than you....your experience is just as good or better than anyone here....haha
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2012, 02:01 AM   #92
RianS
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Thanks Rach for the fast response.
Looking forward to trying out this food as it solves too big problems for me.
1. not being home to feed juvenile discus multiple times daily
2. A food my plecos can grave on without it falling apart before they get to it
Old 01-31-2012, 02:02 AM   #93
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

PTrader: (204/100%)
Send a message via AIM to msjinkzd

adn honestly, I have a TON of tanks. That is what made m interested in checking it out originally. I really needed a better way to feed young fish more naturally and without making a ton of mess.
msjinkzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:12 AM   #94
fresh.salty
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

In my 3g the RCS are so on it that I can't even see the food anymore. I didn't buy the one labeled for shrimp but this is with the Meat Pie. They pretty much eat anything but like Rachel said this food stays together. The dry pellet food I feed falls apart in minutes and most ends up in the substrate.
fresh.salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:04 AM   #95
Allen Repashy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh.salty View Post
I'll do that.

Not knowing what to expect I only started with 1 tablespoon of powder. That's 25% of the amount suggested on the package. 3 tbsp of water won't hold it's heat long.
Oh..... yeah, mixing that little an amount is going to be really difficult if you are moving that water out of the container you boil it in.

For really small amounts like that, you are better off mixing the powder and water before you heat it.

Better yet, is to mix a one cup block, cut and refrigerate/freeze it.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:07 AM   #96
Allen Repashy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I really think it is probably easier to just pour it shallow into a container and then quickly dice it up with a knife because I think the cubes might stick in the ice cube holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
These would probably make good molds for the food...

http://www.amazon.com/Cubette-Mini-I.../dp/B000I1ZXIK

Can anyone feeding this to their shrimp chime in on how it's working for you?
Old 02-01-2012, 01:30 AM   #97
klaus07
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)

I did the same thing fresh.salty, except I lined a plate with aluminum foil and I immediately poured and scooped the food onto the plate after removing it from the microwave. I scored it with a plastic knife, wrapped it with more foil and stuck it in the freezer.
klaus07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:33 AM   #98
Psionic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)

I put a string through an ice cube one I made and attached it to a fishing bobber. I'm going to change it later on to make it better. Use a harder nylon fishing line, a flat bottom for it to rest on underneath the cube. I use what I had. All the fish go to the surface to eat off it. It's floating about 4 inches from the top. I thought the pleco was hilarious.

Anyone else have further ideas? I was also thinking of using the small cube trays for hikari foods. I just toss them. Maybe to make cubes those size. What do you think?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=29.515172,-98.564672
Psionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:38 AM   #99
Erica
Planted Member

I'm interested, but confused by this food as far as how much to feed. For instance, if you usually feed 1 tsp of pellets, would you feed 1 tsp of this, or do you need to feed more because so much of it is water?
Old 02-01-2012, 03:10 AM   #100
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Repashy View Post
I really think it is probably easier to just pour it shallow into a container and then quickly dice it up with a knife because I think the cubes might stick in the ice cube holes.
They also make them the same size out of silicone so it wouldn't stick. May be more trouble than it's worth but it would be good if one wanted/needed uniform sized pieces of food. Just a thought.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:41 AM   #101
fresh.salty
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

I put some on slate but it's falling off before it hits the bottom. The rest I just broke up into chunks and put it in the freezer. I don't see any need for the perfect shape.
fresh.salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #102
larcat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

We are looking around for better foods for our fish and shrimp. We have been using Hikari, and the ingredient list being the same on basically every product, regardless of how it is named is starting to bug us.

Since we have had such amazing experience with your livestock, we are considering the Repashy foods.

Couple questions:

1) Is the scavanger blend good for baby shrimps?

2) What/how do you feed fry with this food (we are trying to get some CPD breeding going.)

3) How do you use this, since portioning is sort of an issue, with nano tanks? In our 55 it won't be a problem, but I am kind of at a loss on how to use this stuff in a 7.5 that just has shrimp.

Thanks!
larcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #103
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

PTrader: (204/100%)
Send a message via AIM to msjinkzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by larcat View Post
We are looking around for better foods for our fish and shrimp. We have been using Hikari, and the ingredient list being the same on basically every product, regardless of how it is named is starting to bug us.

Since we have had such amazing experience with your livestock, we are considering the Repashy foods.

Couple questions:

1) Is the scavanger blend good for baby shrimps?
Yes, it is great for them. They can graze on it and its easy to feed it inside a dish of sorts so there is less mess in your substrate. It also holds together more than dried foods which means less tank pollution.
2) What/how do you feed fry with this food (we are trying to get some CPD breeding going.)
I feed my fry tanks with this, they dogpile the food, grzing throughout the day rather than having to do multiple feedings. The community diet would be great for cpd's, though the scavenger blend would be just fine as well.
3) How do you use this, since portioning is sort of an issue, with nano tanks? In our 55 it won't be a problem, but I am kind of at a loss on how to use this stuff in a 7.5 that just has shrimp.

Thanks!
Since you make it yourself, just cut it into smaller pieces. You can also freeze it then use a cheese grater to put smaller shavings in the tank.
msjinkzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #104
larcat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjinkzd
Since you make it yourself, just cut it into smaller pieces. You can also freeze it then use a cheese grater to put smaller shavings in the tank.
That is sort of what I was looking for. Pre-portioning for a 20-neo nano tank seemed like lots of upfront work to feed.

Thanks!
larcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #105
monkeyfish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Well, it's official. My OEBT's won't touch anything but the super foods now! Good stuff, get some.