Repashy Superfoods Discussion thread! - Page 14
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Invertebrates by Msjinkzd

Old 04-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #196
fresh.salty
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

For those of you with snails, are they attracted to it and eating it?

I'm looking to feed marine snails in a holding system where natural food sources are quickly consumed.
fresh.salty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #197
kcartwright856
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh.salty View Post
For those of you with snails, are they attracted to it and eating it?

I'm looking to feed marine snails in a holding system where natural food sources are quickly consumed.
As I said just a few posts back, my pond/pest snails swarm the stuff.

My "good" nerite snails also seem to really enjoy it, though they are in freshwater.

Hope that helps?

Lover of kuhli loaches and dwarf puffers!
RAOK Club #123!
KC's Uninteresting Tank
kcartwright856 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #198
fresh.salty
Wannabe Guru

I'll mix up a batch and try it next week in a couple holding containers of Margarites pupillus and some Nerita sp. Not sure if mortality is diet or temperature related. These snails have little to graze on other than other snail shells. lol
Old 04-06-2012, 12:09 AM   #199
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

PTrader: (205/100%)
Send a message via AIM to msjinkzd

The nerites don't attack the cubes as much as they graze around it as the other critters knock little bits off. I do have pictures of my red spots eating it directly. Apple snails and viviparus LOVE the soilent green. Tylos like it as well.
msjinkzd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 12:47 AM   #200
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (440/100%)

I have to correct Rachel, because she's wrong.

It's way crazier than that.

Apple Snails don't just love Soilent Green, they'll fight off anything else in the tank to get to it! As in literally pushing shrimp and other snails out of the way, going over top of them, just going insane.

Will try to get some video in a tank where I've got about 50 Apple Snails the next time I feed Repashy.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 12:59 AM   #201
jersysman
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to jersysman

I just made my first batch of Shrimp Soufle. I have it in the mold cooling. It is a good think my fiance was not here at the time. Let's just say the smell would have not been pleasing to her nose. I'm just hoping the fan will clear the room before long! I can wait to see how my critters go for it when I put it in the tank.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:00 AM   #202
Allen Repashy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Has anyone tried to use a bottle trap baited with Soilent Green to clear a tank of unwanted snails? I would think it would work pretty darn good. http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums...=1#post1496620
Old 04-06-2012, 01:04 AM   #203
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (440/100%)

Allen: It's the only thing I've been using to catch sneaky little Ramshorns and baby Apple Snails for the past month.

While I've had the same success with other foods when it comes to luring snails, shrimp and fish into bottle traps, Repashy just tends to hold together longer. Which means I can leave the trap in the tank for longer with no worries.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 01:05 AM   #204
fresh.salty
Wannabe Guru

I just made up a batch of SG and spread it out on window screen. Let it set up and cut it into one inch squares.

The SW snails I want to try feeding are kept in mesh cages. If the food isn't attached to something it will flow right out from all the current in the holding tanks.

FYI, I dropped a piece of the SG covered screen in my Gold Laser Cory tank and saw more fry than I've ever seen at one time. lol
Old 04-06-2012, 01:06 AM   #205
Allen Repashy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I just made my first batch of Shrimp Soufle. I have it in the mold cooling. It is a good think my fiance was not here at the time. Let's just say the smell would have not been pleasing to her nose. I'm just hoping the fan will clear the room before long! I can wait to see how my critters go for it when I put it in the tank.

If you are a fish, that smell is equivalent to the smell of a hot cinnamon roll..... or if you are a real man, the smell of sizzling bacon

Boiling the water and adding the powder isn't as strong as mixing it cold and boiling it.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:09 AM   #206
jersysman
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to jersysman

I added the boiling water to it. I put some in my tank and my Amanos and Chilis love it! The Amanos were trying to pick it up and take it somewhere that they could have it all to themselves. It's so funny! I must say they really like it. First time I've seen all my shrimp together at one time.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:14 AM   #207
Allen Repashy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I added the boiling water to it.
Just one comment.....Not sure if you actually did it this way, but it is much better to add the powder into the water while stirring (in the container it was boiled in). Pouring the water into a separate container with dry powder in it can quickly drop it's temperature enough to effect gel firmness. It can also cause more clumping of the dry powder and make it difficult to mix evenly.

Glad your first feeding was so well received!
Old 04-07-2012, 05:46 PM   #208
chiefroastbeef
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Repashy View Post
Just one comment.....Not sure if you actually did it this way, but it is much better to add the powder into the water while stirring (in the container it was boiled in). Pouring the water into a separate container with dry powder in it can quickly drop it's temperature enough to effect gel firmness. It can also cause more clumping of the dry powder and make it difficult to mix evenly.

Glad your first feeding was so well received!
Thanks Allen for that tip! I just got a packet of community plus after my family brought it back to Hong Kong from the US. Can't wait to cook some up and try it on the fish!
chiefroastbeef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2012, 07:31 AM   #209
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

I spread some of the shrimp stuff on a piece of slate and put it in my tank with otos (wild caught otos, having a hard time getting them to eat wafers or veggies), and after about 3 hours, one of them found it, and then the rest joined him, They finished a 2x4 inch smear of it in about 12 hours. Not bad! Definitely better than what they've been doing, which is destroying all traces of algae in my tank and then sitting back and relaxing.
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #210
azjenny
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordalphus View Post
I spread some of the shrimp stuff on a piece of slate and put it in my tank with otos (wild caught otos, having a hard time getting them to eat wafers or veggies), and after about 3 hours, one of them found it, and then the rest joined him, They finished a 2x4 inch smear of it in about 12 hours. Not bad! Definitely better than what they've been doing, which is destroying all traces of algae in my tank and then sitting back and relaxing.
My Otos, both Zebra and regular will ONLY eat this stuff!
azjenny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.