xenxes's Aqueon 20L - "Bamboo Jungle" + Otos/CPDs/Pygm, PFR/CBS/OEBT/Cardinal/BluBees - Page 11
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #151
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

Which sponge filter? The EDGE Pre?
xenxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #152
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

No like a sponge filter haha. This is what I bought. See how it says the dimensions are 4.72"/2.36"? That's the size of ONE sponge LOL. So you can imagine how large the entire thing is. I'm not that dissapointed, another excuse for me to rescape the tanks . I'll be modding the "T" joint so you only use one sponge instead of two.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #153
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

Uh, didn't you get AC20's already? That's more than enough for a 10g. Especially for shrimp, 5x turnover is enough and you have 10x already.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:15 PM   #154
toksyn
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

Whatever happened to that red moss?
toksyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #155
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

Lol, fell off and got eaten, I move stuff around too much. It actually lives on the surface if I can stabilize it somewhere, I don't know if it grew at all. I might try some in my biofilter cartridges to see if they work. The submerged pieces definitely died.

VERY slow growers, and they root deep.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #156
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
Uh, didn't you get AC20's already? That's more than enough for a 10g. Especially for shrimp, 5x turnover is enough and you have 10x already.
I do have AC20 filters, but you know how my filter is angled differently from yours? Mine is like on the back so the water gets output to the front. Whereas your's is on the sides. I want better flow on my tank so having the sponge filter drawing in water on the opposite side will definitely help.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:21 PM   #157
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

I'm moving them back to the back after I get it painted. Maybe, hmm.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #158
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

Pics time! Thought I would utilize every available space, include the hanging filter basket, and yank out those huge lillies obstructing the view on the front left.

Ignore the 4th EDGE filter, cycling it for my new tank. Lol, quick math: 200+100+100+53=453gph/20g = 22.65x turnover per hour.

Half-dead orchid (sitting outside/neglected) & red club moss

Anthurium and terrestrial xmas moss; orchid & anthurium are both epiphytes so should live

4 different pepper plants behind the tank (habarnero, jalapeno, cayenne, and sweet).

Middle lucky bamboo circle rooting everywhere! I'm going to leave it be.

The lillies are getting way too big and obstructing the back view, so I yanked them out to move them.

Really long roots, bad idea, dirt everywhere in tank. I hope they survive the move/transplant, because I broke a lot.

Current FTS, right side isn't symmetrical, but I just added some new clippings, waiting to grow out. That Hydocotyle Leucocephyala in the middle has to go too, what a mess

Last edited by xenxes; 02-13-2012 at 12:57 AM..
Old 02-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #159
ValMM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM

The pandas are still looking good.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:58 AM   #160
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValMM View Post
The pandas are still looking good.
Haven't lost a single one despite me constantly messing with the tank. The water didn't even get muddy after stripping 6" of root from the dirt, yay for over filtration and floating plants.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:25 AM   #161
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I'm moving them back to the back after I get it painted. Maybe, hmm.
Hm... I think having the two on the sides is much better for circulation, and it looks good that way as well. Are you really serious about keeping plants in the AC filtering cartrigies? Once they root you won't really be able to take out the filter material o.O!!! Btw.. what filtering thingies are in there right now? Bio max.. sponge... anything else?

That corner of your house looks really nice btw. I bet the air inside your house must be very fresh haha. Do you need to control the humidity in your house at all?

Old 02-13-2012, 01:35 AM   #162
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

Lol I'm serious. These are both epiphytes (attach to trees/other plants in the wild) and have fat stems. Very easy to remove. I'm just not sure if they'll live because they've been growing in dirt/peat moss/wood chips, not part way in water. Also biomax lasts for 10+ years, you don't need to and shouldn't replace it unless it's starting to crumble.

Just sponge + biomax, I removed all chemical filtration, didn't see a need. The humidity in my apartment is 42% right now :/ I don't have a dehumidifier. I never got a "before" reading from the tanks. Then again it's humid in Miami and just rained heavily.

The air does seem fresher in the living room lol. I only have an orchid, 3' dracaena, and a desktop palm in the bedroom. Wouldn't mind another leafy plant in here but not much sun gets in. My balcony is starting to look ridiculous. I have a line of planters running down the entire length of it, and vines over the dividers.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:58 AM   #163
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (68/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

what's the golden-colored moss on the left side of the tank, xenxes? I love it!
crazydaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:32 AM   #164
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

Haha ty, that's dead moss!
Old 02-13-2012, 04:31 AM   #165
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Lol I'm serious. These are both epiphytes (attach to trees/other plants in the wild) and have fat stems. Very easy to remove. I'm just not sure if they'll live because they've been growing in dirt/peat moss/wood chips, not part way in water. Also biomax lasts for 10+ years, you don't need to and shouldn't replace it unless it's starting to crumble.

Just sponge + biomax, I removed all chemical filtration, didn't see a need. The humidity in my apartment is 42% right now :/ I don't have a dehumidifier. I never got a "before" reading from the tanks. Then again it's humid in Miami and just rained heavily.

The air does seem fresher in the living room lol. I only have an orchid, 3' dracaena, and a desktop palm in the bedroom. Wouldn't mind another leafy plant in here but not much sun gets in. My balcony is starting to look ridiculous. I have a line of planters running down the entire length of it, and vines over the dividers.
I expect you to have some vivariums or something with more plants lol. You seem to know a ton more about plants than I do. And I notice a difference in air quality since my home in China has TONS of plants like your home. As for moisture, that's good! Even with 3x 10G tanks my apartment is super dry and my skin cracks . Even worse at my GF's place with zero tanks at all!

Oh I see, but at some point you'll have to clean out the sponges and biomax so what will you do if the plants somehow root them all together? The moss might end up doing that with the flow ._.! My AC20 filter is jam packed lol. I should take a picture sometime. Sponge, carbon packet I made myself, 2 plastic pot scrubbies.

Quote:
Haha ty, that's dead moss!