xenxes's Marina Betta Kit 0.5g - Nano Herb Garden - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 01-22-2012, 12:58 AM   #31
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
That's really interesting. Your betta must be really mean then. My GF's betta was so passive and let everything live. He even allowed the RCS to clean it's fins ._.!

I still don't like the snails though, I don't like how they look compared to nerites ! So I'll keep smooshing until I have none left. I'm pretty sure I can take the population down to zero as long as I crush the larger ones that can lay eggs.
They are actually quite pretty, I'll take a pic when I spot the big one again, it's about 0.5-1" long now (matter of days, geez).

The male betta is fairly aggressive, it ignores larger snails and ghost shrimp (can't see them I guess). Attacks anything else that moves fast and/or colorful. It can't eat MTS (shells are harder). I wish he was calmer, I'd really prefer to keep a couple RCS in the tank to clean algae/scraps, maybe really low grade or brown ones?

Old 01-22-2012, 01:47 AM   #32
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
Here's what the larger one looks like. They look pretty nice. Be warned, only the Zen and the Contemporary themes are the 0.9g. The other 2 are misadvertised (learned the hard way).

Blue pearl shrimp would look really good in that. You could probably grow moss and keep a java fern or anubias nana as the center piece (or a red plastic plant!).

I think your plants aren't growing in the bowl because there's low-no nutrients (read you're only using sand substrate). I like to use at least a 0.5" of dirt at the bottom of my substrate and top with sand/gravel, makes things very easy. Probably won't have to fertilize till year 1-2+.

You could pull it all out to add dirt, or just buy some osmocote capsules and stick them in the sand. I wouldn't go the liquid fertilizer route with sand, hard for them to get into the substrate from the water column, unless you have an army of malaysian trumpet snails.
I actually added Miracle Grow about a month ago. Thats when they all decided to stay short lol... But I see signs of new growth no so I'm hoping for an explosion of growth.

You convinced me. I went to the store ad took a look at them. The .9 gallon is now going in my bathroom!!
Petsmart sells a tiiiiiiiny 10 watt heater too if I feel like buying one. And I mean tiny. Seriously tiny.
Aqueon supports my nano habit in more ways than they could know.

I think I;m gonna go for blue pearls. Or perhaps blue rili's. I'm not sure yet.
I'll have to see once I'm all done planting it lol..
Thanks for inspiring me!! And my fiance thanks you for helping convince me to get yet another tank xD.
Eldachleich is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 02:52 AM   #33
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
maybe you shouldnt have made the 10 betta comment. hehehe... anyway, yeah those snails may start overrunning if left unchecked. What kind of lighting are you using? great work on the tank filter. i had two of these marine tanks but ended up getting a 4 gallon evolve instead.
It's sitting next to my Aerogarden, 2 bulbs 1450 lumens each. The small frogbits I threw in grow a new leaf every day, keep having to fish them out. Was an impulse buy because it looked neat. Want to move it onto a bathroom shelf, but then I'd need separate lighting :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldachleich View Post
I actually added Miracle Grow about a month ago. Thats when they all decided to stay short lol... But I see signs of new growth no so I'm hoping for an explosion of growth.

You convinced me. I went to the store ad took a look at them. The .9 gallon is now going in my bathroom!!
Petsmart sells a tiiiiiiiny 10 watt heater too if I feel like buying one. And I mean tiny. Seriously tiny.
Aqueon supports my nano habit in more ways than they could know.

I think I;m gonna go for blue pearls. Or perhaps blue rili's. I'm not sure yet.
I'll have to see once I'm all done planting it lol..
Thanks for inspiring me!! And my fiance thanks you for helping convince me to get yet another tank xD.
Those are some fairly expensive shrimp, maybe play with RCS first so you can't blame me if it dies

Let me know how it goes, are you adding a tiny filter? I really wanted to get a HOB because space is cramped as is, but couldn't find one small enough. Heater + filter in this might not fit lol.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:08 AM   #34
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

Quote:

Those are some fairly expensive shrimp, maybe play with RCS first so you can't blame me if it dies

Let me know how it goes, are you adding a tiny filter? I really wanted to get a HOB because space is cramped as is, but couldn't find one small enough. Heater + filter in this might not fit lol.
Naw lol.... Those shrimp are just as hardy as red cherries. Same shrimp I believe. Just a different colour morph. I already had die off once in shrimps. I think I can take another in the future. Hopefully that wont happen though eh?
I wont blame you if it does lol..
The heater is seriousl tiny. Like... maybe 1/4 inch thick by 4inches tall by an inch wide. Tiny tiny. And only 10 watts. No temp controls though.

Theres a mini hob. A 3i from... marina maybe? at petsmart.
Actually its in tank, But the intake is a flexible tube. I'm planning on siliconing some extra tubing on and rigging it to the outside.
I'll let you know how it works out.

I always though those snails were pretty too. A bit of a pest but beautiful all the same.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:57 AM   #35
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

Ouch, no temp control could cook the shrimp? Here's the smallest one I found, 5" tall still http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...21&pcatid=9821.

I know they're the same variety, but don't blue pearls cost 10x more than RCS? and rilis 20x more? Hrmm I should get some blue pearls for my 9g, would red + blue = purple? Probably just brown.

Forgot to post some pics:

I need to clean my counters :P

Frogbits do the best in this little thing, amazing what a little light can do

HC isn't doing half bad, I need to clean the container before taking pics next time
Old 01-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #36
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (441/100%)

Ha! That's the ticket! Honestly, the veggie sticks may be a good way to trap them if they ever do get out of the control.

And feeding them to your fish is a GREAT idea.

If you want to culture them on a large scale, start up a bucket or bowl with a light over it, add some floaters, drop in a few bladder/pond snails and feed every few days. Will only take you a month to get a feeling for how often you need to feed in order to have a population explosion.

Quote:
I blame your yummy veggie sticks :P

Was worried at first because I read the football shaped ones ate live plants, but that's not the case. Honestly I wish I had more, they make a great live betta feed (chomps through the larger shells even), my platies enjoy the crushed ones too. Some just popped out in my 20g, none in the betta tank though, I think he eats them as they crawl up.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #37
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

I'm worried about that too. It might just be stable enough in my bathroom for no heater.
I'm gonna buy one and play around with it for a while. See what it does.

I've been looking for one of those filters forever. No one around me has one and I can't justify the shipping for that one item. Thats why I was thinking of rigging the other one.
I was also considering a mini sponge filter. But I hate bubbles.

Well the cherry shrimp I look at are the really red ones. And they cost the same.
Except for blue rili's. Those are more expensive.
I don't know... I'm still looking for the right shrimp.
I was thinking maybe the yellow ones. I've always liked them. But I've always liked the blue too.

Lol!! Purple would be cool.
I've mixed some of them on purpose before. They throw out some interesting colours. Never got a brown one.
Wait thats a lie. I had a blue pearl reject tank and after a while I ended up with an intense hersheys brown colour.
I also got yellow, amber, orange, and black. Cool stuff.

I believe at most its about $30 for 10. Which honestly is the most I would put in mine.. Minus the babies of course. Those would probably eventually be thrown into every tank I have lol. Or my pond. Start a huge blue pearl colony in a pond..
Old 01-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #38
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Quote:
I know they're the same variety, but don't blue pearls cost 10x more than RCS? and rilis 20x more? Hrmm I should get some blue pearls for my 9g, would red + blue = purple? Probably just brown.
Blue pearls and RCS are same species (neocaridina) but different genus. Blue pearls are "zhangjiajiensis" whereas RCS, yellows, rilis are "heteropoda". If a zhangjiajiensis breeds with a heteropoda the offspring is genetically weak and will often die pretty easily. Don't know about the colors though.

Blue pearls and low grade rili's cost about 2x, 3x more than RCS. Around $30 for 10 shipped as stated. High grade blue rili much more, around $15 a shrimp!

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #39
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

I know nothing about shrimp! I like the RCS on green contrast, one of these days when I get a high-tech setup with mostly red plants I'll invest in blues Thank god the forums are back up. You could just get the Hagen elite I have on Amazon for $7 shipped (if you have Prime), or just bundle it with other stuff for free shipping. No bubbles, it's smaller than the smallest sponge filter I could find. Angle output nozzle upwards to avoid blowing away the shrimp. I turned it up a notch to create water movement and get rid of detrius.

It takes a little work to get the flow just right, plus side is you can stick in a layer of biomedia too. I threw in a tiny piece of avocado, so far it's avocado > zucchini > cucumber, but veggie sticks beat them all.

Been dumping in tiny clippings of plants whenever I trim the 20g. Be interesting to see what grows.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:06 AM   #40
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

See... he knew what was up with the shrimp lol.
I personally cannot keep track of it though.
Still unsure of which shrimp to use. I'll decide once everything is said and done.
I never order anything online so theres never anything to bundle shipping with. I'll work with whats local. Try to get some sort filter up.
I realised the filter I was looking at was just a modified sponge filter. They just made it so the bubbles never entered the actual water column.
There are a few mom and pop fish stores I could try and see if they have a filter like yours in. Might have to go check tomorrow.

I'll have to see what grows in yours!! So far I don't know what to put in mine.
I have some marsilea that never lost its 4 leaf clover form. Perhaps It will survive in there. I just do not know if it will keep its 4 leaf clover form in such low light tank.
I wonder how long these tiny things take to cycle...
I suppose a small clipping of one of my sponges from my aquaclears would be enough to cycle it first day huh?
I just love this mini tank.
Thaank you so much for everything!! youve been such an awesome help.

I have some really tiny fountain pumps lying around everywhere.... I could try and rig a tiny filter with one of those.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:02 PM   #41
londonloco
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Pretty pretty little tank......and yes, I'm stalking your tanks!
I skimmed this thread, didn't see anything about a light, do you have one on this 1/2 gallon tank? That rock w/HC on it looks beautiful....

Last edited by londonloco; 01-23-2012 at 05:55 PM..
londonloco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #42
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonloco View Post
Pretty pretty little tank......and yes, I'm stalking your tanks!
I skimmed this thread, didn't see anything about a light, do you have one on this 1/2 gallon tank? That rock w/HC on it looks beautiful....
Hehe thanks, it's more of a recycled mistake purchase. Sitting under a hydroponic Aerogarden, so twin 1450 lumens. Best light out of any of my tanks (all low-tech).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldachleich View Post
See... he knew what was up with the shrimp lol.
I personally cannot keep track of it though.
Still unsure of which shrimp to use. I'll decide once everything is said and done.
I never order anything online so theres never anything to bundle shipping with. I'll work with whats local. Try to get some sort filter up.
I realised the filter I was looking at was just a modified sponge filter. They just made it so the bubbles never entered the actual water column.
There are a few mom and pop fish stores I could try and see if they have a filter like yours in. Might have to go check tomorrow.

I'll have to see what grows in yours!! So far I don't know what to put in mine.
I have some marsilea that never lost its 4 leaf clover form. Perhaps It will survive in there. I just do not know if it will keep its 4 leaf clover form in such low light tank.
I wonder how long these tiny things take to cycle...
I suppose a small clipping of one of my sponges from my aquaclears would be enough to cycle it first day huh?
I just love this mini tank.
Thaank you so much for everything!! youve been such an awesome help.

I have some really tiny fountain pumps lying around everywhere.... I could try and rig a tiny filter with one of those.
I forgot you were in CA, Amazon tax will kill most deals anyway. Not looking forward to moving there for that sole reason (well, and the living cost).

I took 4 of those white biomedia things from an older tank (was Aquaclear brand media), and 4 new ones, spread in a single layer in the tiny filter. It pretty much came precycled.

Marsilea is an amazing foreground plant! Adapts to any lighting condition, it'll be fine in ambient light in your bathroom too. Mine is under high light so I have more room to play around. I need to buy some dwarf marsilea for my low light tanks.

Can't wait to see how yours turn out!

Img update (nothing died yet )

All 6 nomming on 1/4 a veggie stick

Last edited by xenxes; 01-26-2012 at 06:18 AM..
xenxes is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #43
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I forgot you were in CA, Amazon tax will kill most deals anyway. Not looking forward to moving there for that sole reason (well, and the living cost).

I took 4 of those white biomedia things from an older tank (was Aquaclear brand media), and 4 new ones, spread in a single layer in the tiny filter. It pretty much came precycled.

Marsilea is an amazing foreground plant! Adapts to any lighting condition, it'll be fine in ambient light in your bathroom too. Mine is under high light so I have more room to play around. I need to buy some dwarf marsilea for my low light tanks.

Can't wait to see how yours turn out!
Shipping is killer here... still it could be Canada or Hawaii..
I am doing that too.. But with a sponge... still looking around for the right pump.
It would be a great foreground plant. If it had ever converted to its one leaf short form. It's a 6 inch tall clover wonderland though.
Cute though. People always ask if I just stuck clovers in my tank from my yard lol..
I would love the lowlight single leaf dwarf kind though.
You wont have to wait long.. I just bought the tank, and pulled the trigger on some shrimp. Yellow shrimp.
And I was silly enough to order them express!! Now I have one day to scape it.
I just started it up today and made the journal not too long ago.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:24 AM   #44
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

New FTS. Experimenting with random clippings in back.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:26 AM   #45
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

Growth update:

where the cube is located

half-dead clippings all perked up; serving as a tiny aquatic plant nursery

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.