Saltwater Forums?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 12-26-2014, 08:15 AM   #1
Little Soprano
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Saltwater Forums?

So I bought a new tank about a month ago, and have been slowly collecting equipment to get it set up. I have a few books and my BF's experience as well, but I literally can NOT get a response to any of my questions on Reef Central. I've even gone through stickies to see if they cover my questions and they don't.

Does anyone have any recommendations for FRIENDLY saltwater forums? Especially ones who welcome newbies to the hobby. I'm the newbie not my BF, but there are still questions we both have, and I've given up on RC. Ideally one with a community like ours.
Little Soprano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2014, 08:48 AM   #2
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

http://www.aquariumforum.com/forum.php
Old 12-26-2014, 11:34 AM   #3
Bushkill
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

The RC crowd gets a bad rep. at times I'll admit. But it has to be recognized as one of the oldest and deepest pools of info out there. So consider posing your questions after the Christmas festivities, and using the search function there. Even simple Google searches of your question will most likely take you to threads there.

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
Bushkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2014, 12:54 PM   #4
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

www.bostonreefers.org
Old 12-26-2014, 06:03 PM   #5
Aquarist_Fist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Depending on how large your tank is, nano-reef.com may be a great forum for you. It's by far my favorite.
Pimp Club Member #313

Originally Posted by macclellan
my personal favorite is Random Capitalization. It is so Very fun and Surprising.
Aquarist_Fist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2014, 03:33 AM   #6
Little Soprano
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I did notice nano-reef seems like a friendly community. It's dimensions land it around 125 gallons, 25 of which (probably more) are consumed by the wet dry. I will definitely check out the sites that were mentioned. My questions are mostly about the ancient lighting system in the tank, but you'd think it wouldn't be that abstract of a question. NONE of their stickies or FAQs goes into VHOs, so I figured I'd take pictures and post a question lol.

Thank you guys!!

Should make a little sub forum here lol. I keep trying to find a community like PT, but can't seem to do so.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:57 PM   #7
RWaters
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Soprano View Post
Should make a little sub forum here lol. I keep trying to find a community like PT, but can't seem to do so.
Haven't you heard you should never introduce non-native, invasive species?
RWaters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2014, 01:18 AM   #8
Bushkill
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Soprano View Post
I did notice nano-reef seems like a friendly community. It's dimensions land it around 125 gallons, 25 of which (probably more) are consumed by the wet dry. I will definitely check out the sites that were mentioned. My questions are mostly about the ancient lighting system in the tank, but you'd think it wouldn't be that abstract of a question. NONE of their stickies or FAQs goes into VHOs, so I figured I'd take pictures and post a question lol.

Thank you guys!!

Nano is indeed a good bunch. But I doubt you'll find anything related to VHO's in the archives there nor from members unless they also have a bigger tank and they've been the hobby for a while. VHO's were replaced by two three lighting platform changes and you may have some trouble finding replacements or folks still using them and I don't think they were made shorter than 3 feet long.

Old 12-28-2014, 02:04 AM   #9
Coralbandit
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I keep marine tanks along with my FW.
I have 2 reefs;120&75g and a 75g fowlr.
I haven't heard about VHOs in years(maybe not this century?).
I'm all LED and have some metal halides.
What do plan for this tank?
FO?
FOWLR?
REEF?
Lighting temp should be 10k or over eitherway going possibly upto 20-24K
R.Waters- I've been considered an invasive species before I think!

Pictures of some of my fish http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/al...?albumid=19121
Coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2014, 08:30 AM   #10
Little Soprano
Planted Tank Enthusiast

They are two 5 foot VHOs 6500K, with a Coralvue Vue 600 Ballast. It will probably be FOWLR in the beginning, but eventually will be moving towards beginner level corals. My BF is the SW guy but we've never done corals and the plan is to go that route.

Thats a picture of the lights from when we first got the tank. We've since cleaned up the wiring (in engine wire sleeves), and fixed up the fans with toggle switches too. LEDs would be far too expensive. It's a VERY tall tank. I don't mind using the VHOs, but if anything we are going to get some supplemental T5s in there, or just go with a whole new setup and retrofit it into the cabinet.

Just went and snatched a picture of the tank lit up. It's acrylic so excuse the scratches, when we did a test fill though, none are visible.

If my BF wasn't so set on SW (I'm pretty interested in it too), it would be so easy to get this going as a planted tank.

Last edited by Little Soprano; 12-28-2014 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: Added pictures.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:01 PM   #11
Bushkill
Wannabe Guru

Well, Me personally left the SW side a few years back after being neck-deep in it for 13 years. So I can at least confirm what Coralbandit hinted at: VHO's aren't very common anymore. I'm in no way saying they're worse than anything else out there, and you can certainly still find replacement parts at the bigger online retailers. You just have to take care in the corals you choose to match the available lighting. FOWLR's can be just as awesome. And actually you have one big advantage in that a while back Coralvue bought IceCap. While IceCap certainly was never a bargain brand, they were and are an awesome ballast if you ever need to replace that Coralvue ballast. The 60" bulbs are still available from a few places, but keep your fingers crossed while they are in transit to you when it comes time to replace.

If you decide to go the T5 route down the line, remember that T5's aren't worth the investment if they aren't equipped with quality parabolic reflectors. IceCap was the first and best and they may still be available as retrofits. At 60" long, you may best best be served with retrofits so that you can stagger 4' bulbs in that hood.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:34 PM   #12
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/fish-s...578/3733/10099
Old 12-28-2014, 01:03 PM   #13
Coralbandit
Planted Tank Enthusiast

^Good info^
It is nice to see some things don't change.I remember my last VHOs were in my 6' energy savers(Before they were coralife!)metal halide fixture.It had 3@ 175MH and 2@ 140w actinics.
On the t5 look for HO and a good reflector will be a huge difference in that hood.
Also especially since marine a piece of plastic to protect lights and wiring, the creep will get everywhere!

Pictures of some of my fish http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/al...?albumid=19121
Coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2014, 08:03 AM   #14
Little Soprano
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was looking at that Raymond! I want one of those actinic whites! We filled the tank tonight, with buckets, which took forever. Picked up 60 pounds of live rock to go with the 50 pounds of dry rock/ancient coral we got yesterday. And a Turbo snail hitched a ride. So he's our inhabitant as of now. The wet dry on this tank is really quite lovely. The only road bumps we've hit are with one of our Koralia pumps and with the lights.

When we were putting the hood on the hood slipped out of my BFs head, and CRACK there goes the acrylic brace on the one side of the hood, holding the bulbs up. It's still holding them pretty well, but that will have to be looked at and/or replaced.

As far as the pump, it's a Hydor Koralia Evolution 600gph. We got two for each end of the tank where a tight corner is formed, and the one is loud as hell. Rattles. Of course we purchased them 6+ weeks ago, so not sure if we will be able to return the one of them. And at the time didn't really think much on the strength of them, and I want to upgrade to either an 1150 or 1500gph in the area that the dead pump is going.

Otherwise, the tank is 95% clear right now, aside from bubbles on the side wall. Very excited to get the final live rock structure set up tomorrow and to let it start cycling!!

I did get a response on RC to a potential stock list, and as of now its the following (added in the order listed):
-Red firefish
-pair of Ocellaris Clowns
-Goby w/ matching snapping shrimp
-Scissortail dartfish
-Green Mandarinfish
-Yellow Tang

We may or may not go with the Tang, but thats a long ways away. I'm going to be setting up a small area in the last chamber where the pump is to grow chaeto and hopefully make a haven away from fish for pods for the Mandarin, which won't be added for 9+ months.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.