the junk food challenge
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 05-09-2015, 06:41 PM   #1
oldpunk78
Algae Grower

PTrader: (110/100%)

the junk food challenge

My wife decided that we're doing it. Pretty much anything not good for us has been removed from the house. We started the Sunday before last. So far I have dropped 11 pounds. I had no idea I was eating so much that was bad for me.

I'm not eating any less than before but I'm constantly starving. Whats up with that? Is my body just metabolizing stuff that much better?
oldpunk78 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2015, 07:02 PM   #2
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Most people don't realize how much non food they eat while consuming "food" that they
bought in stores. That big main burger place has a site that tells you what is in their food...almost. The quarter pounder has 40% "filler" and no they don't tell you what that is.
Ready for this...the small burgers have 60% filler.
I commented to the guy who was filling the vending machine at my work...that because
of the fiber in it, the cardboard tray that the snack comes in is likely more nutritious
for you than the snack.
And I'd say that your body is learning to metabolize correctly. Learning to use stored fat for energy. And that you are not eating enough low callore foods that have bulk to them. All meat and no potatoes. Vegetable are not just for shrimp...LOL...
Old 05-09-2015, 07:07 PM   #3
oldpunk78
Algae Grower

That assessment of my hunger is probably spot on. I'm mainly eating lots of protein. Lots of veggies mainly at dinner but not throughout the day.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:17 PM   #4
Kntry
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I eat healthy most of the time but my downfall is sugar free chocolate and deserts that I cook. (we don't eat sugar)

Every January 1st, our church does the Daniel Fast for 21 days. It's basically nothing sweet including artificial sweeteners, no caffeine, vegetarian, no meat, chicken, eggs, butter, etc. It's veggies, fruits, nuts, anything organic.

You'd be surprised what you can cook and how good it tastes! This year, I lost 15 lbs., I've gained back 3.

I feel so much better when I eat like this. You just have to eat enough to fill you up and then eat healthy snacks in between meals.
Fraternity of Dirt #160
75 gallon - CO2 injected
5 gallon tall cube - CO2 injected

Wish I had an entire room dedicated just for more tanks!
Kntry is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2015, 08:23 PM   #5
thelub

PTrader: (15/100%)

I used to eat a LOT of fast food junk food. About a year or so ago I made the choice to start eating more food from home or better food from the grocery store. Now I eat fast food maybe once every couple months. Now if I eat it, I get sick and feel like garbage. I feel better AND have a lot more money to spend on more important things like this hobby. I can go get a sub sandwich from the local grocery store and some other sides for around $10 and I used to spend almost that much on one meal alone for one lunch.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2015, 11:02 PM   #6
Kntry
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I can't eat fast food either. It gives me cramps from all the grease.
Fraternity of Dirt #160
75 gallon - CO2 injected
5 gallon tall cube - CO2 injected

Wish I had an entire room dedicated just for more tanks!
Kntry is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2015, 11:12 PM   #7
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

My downfall is baked stuff- like muffins. Those giant muffins in Costco, or Otis Spunkmeyer.
Love chocolate, too, but at the price of a chocolate bar, I can buy just one once in a great while, and be OK with that.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2015, 11:20 PM   #8
Zoomy
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've long had great success cutting WAY back on carbs. And when my calories primarily come from low-glycemic fruits, veggies, salads, eggs, nuts, meat, cheese (high fat, moderate protein, low carb) I can lose weight easily -- without wanting to gnaw my arm off. I still tend to struggle with the last 10#s (that's where I'm at, now), but that's pretty typical for everyone. My digestive tract is always MUCH happier eating like this and I feel better, in general. I'll still have the occasional binge meal/day, but it leaves me feeling so awful that I'm desperate for a caesar salad and water!
CO2Art Advance Professional Aquarium CO2 Dual Stage
Hydor Koralia Circ Pump - 425gph x2
Zoomy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2015, 12:16 AM   #9
mot
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)

The 11 pounds is probably mostly water weight. Junk food has a ton of sodium and now that your eating real food your sodium intake is drastically reduced which in turn reduces the amount of water your body needs to maintain the correct ratio. This is also really good for your heart health lowering your blood pressure.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:29 AM   #10
Acro
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

Eat olives, they have that good-fat that keeps you feeling full longer.
Acro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2015, 05:54 AM   #11
oldpunk78
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
The 11 pounds is probably mostly water weight. Junk food has a ton of sodium and now that your eating real food your sodium intake is drastically reduced which in turn reduces the amount of water your body needs to maintain the correct ratio. This is also really good for your heart health lowering your blood pressure.
That makes sense. My blood pressure has been through the roof and getting worse.

I've been going to the doctor very regularly for the last few months for a workmans comp thing so we've all been paying attention to it. I have more visits in the near future and I bet it goes down as long as my stress level isn't through the roof when I go.

I have an mri scheduled Monday. I don't think they'll check my blood pressure for that but they will when I go back to review the results. I'm curious now.

Oh - I live near the one of the olive meccas in the US so I eat a lot.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:19 AM   #12
kep
crazy fish lady

PTrader: (8/100%)

I agree about the water weight since it's so early on. You really will feel better cutting out processed food and junk. As far as being hungry it depends on what you eat. Foods high in protein will keep you full for longer. Snacking frequently (on good food) is healthy and it shrinks your stomach if you eat smaller amounts more frequently so you get full faster.

I went without processed foods for a long time, and lost 60+ pounds. It was great. It got to the point where if I ate a piece of white bread (versus whole wheat) I could totally feel how it dragged me down. Craziest thing ever.

I got my boyfriend involved and his blood pressure went way down and dropped some weight too. He only got involved because I did the shopping and cooking of course, but hey you can't really complain then right?

Keep up the good work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2015, 10:49 AM   #13
PoPoBTC
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
I disagree with this, generally the rule is +/- 5 pounds loss or gain is considered due to water weight, digestion, what you ate recently and the like. 11 pounds is loss great job!

You are feeling hungry for a couple reasons. I'm guessing you used to eat processed food which contain what I call the equilibrium point where there is sugar and salt in a ratio that will never make you experience that full sensation.

Also you might think about eating more veggies, carbs make you hungry, veggies make you feel full.
PoPoBTC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2015, 06:54 PM   #14
Jeff5614
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)

My wife and I went vegan almost two years ago. For the first month I was constantly starving despite eating large amounts of veggies, fruit, legumes, etc. every day. We eliminated most white things such as white flour, refined sugar, processed foods, white rice, pasta, etc., in other words simple carbs. After a month or so the hunger disappeared as did the cravings that I once had for all the previously mentioned white processed foods and junk food like chips. It was amazing to be satisfied and not have food almost constantly on my mind. I am 5'11 and weighed a flabby 185 when we started with most of the flab around my waist. I now weigh 160. We've since added a small amount of animal protein back to our diet - eggs, cheese, a small amount of fish, probably less than 20% of our total calories. My wife is an excellent baker so we still enjoy a good pie or cake for special occasions, birthdays, holidays, etc. It's just not a regular part of our diet anymore. It's not for everyone but I have no intention of going back to my previous way of eating.
Jeff5614 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2015, 07:24 PM   #15
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)

I hate using the terms "fast" and "food" in the same sentence. Rarely do we ever eat "fast food". About the only time is on Weds. night because my boy has swimming school and he loves Wendy's chili. Lately I've been just getting him the chili and I've been forgoing the #6 spicy chicken and just eating at home whatever we have in the ice box. Can't stand FF burgers or much of anything else from the FF joints. Haven't been to a BK or Mickies in decades and the little one has never been. My problem is I am an excellent cook. Italian especially. So my weight is really an investment.
As a teen I was 325 and 6'1" I tried every diet around. Grapefruit. Scarsdale. Pritikin. Stillman. Counting calories. And they all failed. only diet I ever had work I stumbled upon. A neighbor passed and his daughter said we could go in the house and have whatever we wanted. I got some photography stuff, some dental stuff and some books. One book in particular changed my young life. Atkins. Now I would not advocate doing the diet like I did though. I stayed on level 1 for 3 months. What happened? Well I pretty much ate steak and salad every day. I love steak and salad. After 3 months I dropped from a 48 waist to a 38. From 325 to 220-225. I kept it off for over a decade. Even after marrying my girlfriend who made great Spanish food.
Losing the weight was the easy part on Atkins. Keeping it off wasn't hard either. Until I stopped really thinking about it. Carbs came back and so did the weight. Managed to lose 50 of it a few years ago but my love for pasta is my downfall.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.