Recommended stores in Montreal?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Canada

Old 03-28-2005, 01:41 PM   #1
jart
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Recommended stores in Montreal?

Hi all,
Will be visiting Montreal in a few weeks. Anyone have a good planted LFS to recommend; would really like to score some star grass, amongst other things.

TIA
jart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2005, 11:03 PM   #2
cake fan
Planted Member

Big Al's or Nature on the West Island both usually have a big selection. If you're looking for other areas, I'd look in the yellow pages, call and ask what they have.
cake fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 06:13 PM   #3
cake fan
Planted Member

http://aquariusweb.qc.ca/docs_en/aboutus.php

I came across them as well, they seem to have nice stuff. I'm planning on dropping by myself.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:13 PM   #4
yvez9

Big Al's and Nature are awesome
Aquarius is good, although a little expensive find
If you go North of the bridge to Laval, there's an awesome Yogi store that caries fish the other stores never seem to have in stock (puffers, wicked cories, etc...)

They also have a good selection of hardware, along with Big Al's.
Nature only sells overpriced Hagen, since Rolf Hagen is like the cousin or brother of the owner of Nature. Aquarius has very little hardware, they concentrate on fish only.

PM me for details!
yvez9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 06:04 PM   #5
jhoetzl
Planted Tank Activist

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl

Hi all in Montreal...
So if one was frequently travelling there and staying in "Old Montreal" (Hotel Intercontinental), anyone have a site that can provide info on public transport to any of these...while I've been there several times, I have a trip planned which will put me there over the weekend, and I am thinking of a field trip...

I've looked on a map and the distances look a bit far of a walk...although I usually go to the book store (Chapters?) via the underground in the winter, all the way from the hotel, through bonaventure and out somewhere near QE Hotel...

Thanks!
jhoetzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 07:36 PM   #6
cake fan
Planted Member

I'm no expert on public transport but I'll tell you that if you're planning on taking the bus from Old Mtl to Laval expect to take the day doing so.(long)

Well actually even the West Island from Old Mtl is pretty much going to cost you a day (travelling back & forth, transferring to get to said store, shopping etc).

Maybe the best plan if you don't have a car is to look in the yellow pages for that area &/or centre ville so you don't spend your weekend sitting on buses. Besides what would you do with said fish/plants for a few days, IMO go shopping locally the day you're preparing to leave. I'm sure there are stores that will be much closer for you.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:13 AM   #7
jart
Wannabe Guru

I made the trip from old Montreal to Aquarius and back in about 2 hours on the subway. It was a Sunday. I think I took one subway to the Jean Talon station, then another to the Iberville (sp?) station. They had a reasonable selection of plants. You could try emailing them to see when their shipments arrive. The tanks seemed very clean and the fish all appeared in good health. I saw a lot of planted equipment, what appeared to be a wide selection of Flourish products, as well as some CO2 equipment (may have been a bit pricey, but I didn't spend a lot of time looking).
jart is offline   Reply With Quote