The Complete Fairy Shrimp Guide (hopefully, help me fill in the blanks!) - Page 8
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 12-24-2012, 07:12 PM   #106
sugarbyte
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Very cool set ups you have there. Thank you so much for sharing In your opinion what are the ideal temperatures for hatching/raising fairy shrimp? My room runs pretty cool in the winter so I'm wondering if I'll need a heater.
sugarbyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 03:01 AM   #107
auban
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

to be honest, im not sure. back in north carolina the temps would get over 100 degrees and the fairy shrimp survived in a tub in full sun.

my guess is that redtails like warmer water, somewhere around 75 degrees, but will tolerate very wide ranging temperatures. i know they can survive for a week without the temp ever dropping below 100 degrees...

at the same time, they live much longer in cooler waters. my suggestion, try to get them on green water if you can. if you cant, just find something that works and stick with it. i have never met any two people who raise these things the exact same way.

Last edited by auban; 12-25-2012 at 05:58 AM.. Reason: typo
auban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 04:40 AM   #108
Rob in Puyallup
Opae Ula Crazed.

PTrader: (3/100%)

Cool thread. I used to catch fairy shrimp in a pond near the local junior high school when I was a kid. They'd show up in late winter. Would have them in coffee cans and jars in my bedroom.

Could be fun keeping them now...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2
Rob in Puyallup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 06:00 AM   #109
auban
Planted Tank Enthusiast

a quick swipe of the live food culture. if you want to keep them as pets, something that works pretty well is raising them in a tank with green water and then moving them to a clear tank so that you can enjoy them. there are dero worms, black worms, redtail fairy shrimp, moinas, daphnia, and ostracods in this mixed culture.

http://s1242.photobucket.com/albums/...224_223624.mp4
Old 01-06-2013, 11:17 PM   #110
hdbikersbabe

I just wanted to add to this forum. I hatched red tail fairy very easily and love watching them. I had a ton of them and the water looked terrible so I changed the water and lost many of them. Tonight I was looking at the shrimp and noticed babies. Now I ciphered them out and don't think any were eggs, however even so I thought the eggs were to be dried out before they would hatch again. Well something is definitely happening with my lil tank of RTF shrimp. Oh and they absolutely LOVE the nasty water. Not sure when I will change it again.
hdbikersbabe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #111
Mortis
Algae Grower

By red tail fairy shrimp do you mean Thai fairy shrimp ? I didnt know they had self sustaining colonies
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #112
hdbikersbabe

Default Didn't think they did

I have no idea about their colonies. I thought they only hatched. As far as the "kind" I purchased red tailed fairy shrimp from a website. They do have the Thai Fairy Shrimp too. I just purchased them to hatch them and watch them. I like water fleas better. At any rate when I did a water change there were babies. I thought the eggs had to dry out and then re-hatch. Oh well just learning stuff, which is good for me.
hdbikersbabe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 09:38 PM   #113
sugarbyte
Planted Member

Hey guys,

I've finally hatched my fairy shrimp. I set it up last night and they're already swimming around today! I just made some yeast 'soup'.

Here's a photo of my little hatching bowl that I got from the dollar store. (sorry you can't see the mini shrimps! they're too small now)
sugarbyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 05:59 AM   #114
Robotguy
Planted Member

I've been checking out the thread since I just picked up some redtail eggs to help feed my finicky Scarlet Badis. I followed the instructions with a few eggs, then decided to throw a few eggs in a small bowl I had planted with Glosso, Hygro and Blyxa the day before.

I didn't hold out much hope for the bowl because I used Amazonia and it releases a lot of ammonia in the beginning, but WOW! They really took off. After 12 hours I could see about 6 wiggling dots. The next day (36 hours) there were about a dozen. The following morning there were almost 30 and this afternoon (4 days) it looks like there are around 60. They seem to be all different sized, perhaps from hatching in waves. I've been giving them a couple drops of yeast-water each day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx4mLI0pLY0

The bowl I followed the directions with only has a couple. In another day or two, I'll siphon some out of the planted bowl to feed to the Badis.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:46 AM   #115
Gill
Planted Member

I just purchased some red tail fairy shrimp. And will be using a 1G mature planted bowl, that houses thai micro crabs and sakura red cherries. Is planted with Hair Grass, Java and willow Moss. Sits in the shade on the windowsill. would this be suffecient. Will feed with Spirulina powder
Old 07-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #116
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)

Don't red tail eggs have to be dried before they hatch again, or can they work from "wet" also? It would be really cool to have a total fairy cycle going.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:00 AM   #117
auban
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post
Don't red tail eggs have to be dried before they hatch again, or can they work from "wet" also? It would be really cool to have a total fairy cycle going.
reviving this thread... as you did!

to answer your question, yes, they typically need to be dried out.
that said, some of the eggs dont actually need to be completely dried. some of them will hatch out just by doing a water change. my guess is that a water change increases the osmotic pressure. after a while, the water gets saturated with dissolved solids, and doing a water changes tricks the eggs into hatching again, despite the fact that they never actually dried out to begin with.

its kinda like triops. most of the eggs need to be dried out, but a small percentage(maybe ten percent?) will hatch without actually being dried out, they just need fresh water, which might simulate a new rain.

by doing water changes after the fairy shrimp have been laying eggs for a couple weeks, i can keep a culture going for quite a while. and if it ever does completely crash, i just dry them out, rehydrate, and THOUSANDS hatch out.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:02 PM   #118
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)

I wonder if the ones that don't need dried out would be naturally bred for a strain of regular producers in a regularly maintained tank?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.