The Complete Fairy Shrimp Guide (hopefully, help me fill in the blanks!) - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-27-2012, 12:44 AM   #31
jasonpatterson
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Time to head to the grocery store!

I tried to hatch out my triops. I had a couple of larvae, but they didn't survive past the first day or two.

I decided to try something new and so I got some clam shrimp and beavertail fairy shrimp eggs just the other day. I'm trying to figure out where I'll be housing the critters as well.
jasonpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2012, 01:36 AM   #32
xenxes
Gotta Catch 'Em All

PTrader: (37/100%)

Lol, grab a big jar of pickles and eat them all!
xenxes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #33
blacksheep998
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I've tried a couple times with these fairy shrimp but they all die on day 2 or 3. I'm clearly doing something wrong but I'm not sure what.

First attempt was in a 2 gallon tank under a CFL bulb, and was the only attempt where they made it to day 3. I could also see them starting to grow larger so something was going right at first at least.

Attempts 2 and 3 were in a half-gallon jar on a windowsill and did not go as well, probably due to drafts making the water too cold.

I'm probably going to try again tomorrow in the tank again. I've got spirulina algae powder this time, something I didnt have on the first attempt. I dont think the yeast feeding was a good idea.

Anyone have suggestions on if a bubbler is necessary? Most of the guides I've read seem to suggest using them, but I'm not entirely sure if that much agitation and motion in the water is good for the tiny larva.
blacksheep998 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #34
xenxes
Gotta Catch 'Em All

I don't think bubblers are necessary, their natural habitats are standing water. But maybe some plant filtration will help, but it would make it very hard to collect eggs after. Floaters? Didn't have time today but I'll try hatching some tomorrow, picked up a 1 gal vase @ Walmart.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:37 AM   #35
madness
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Creepy looking SOBs.

Not scary like I would be afraid to put my hand in the tank but just sort of generally scary in that deep sea creature type of way (even if they aren't sea creatures).
madness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 04:50 AM   #36
Kannachan13
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

I wouldn't suggest a bubbler, when I tried one the current was too strong no matter what I did and I'd find shrimp has been carried up by the current and stuck to the sides of the tank.
Kannachan13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #37
Bandit1200
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
Lol, grab a big jar of pickles and eat them all!

haha! I actually tried this and I messed up by getting some cheap pickles that are disgusting. The jar is still in the cabinet...
Bandit1200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 01:15 AM   #38
xenxes
Gotta Catch 'Em All

Okay, finally started my Fairy Shrimp Jar!

The Eggs:

Supposedly 5k Thai Fairy eggs in the container; I used 1/3 in my jar; I dumped another little bit in my 20g just to see what happens (panda platies ate some)

The Container:

Dumped them in this ~1/2-3/4 gal Walmart vase, water was just tap treated with some Prime

All floating

I swirled it around a bit with my planting tongs and covered with saran wrap (so my cat won't drink the eggs)

Food Prep:

Added some yeast, pinch of sugar, pinch of flakes, bits of veggie sticks (don't know what I'm doing)

Added water, microwaved 20 secs do not microwave!

Stirred, covered don't cover too tightly or it will blow up!, and put in fridge

We'll see if any hatch tomorrow, and if my food poisons them all

Last edited by xenxes; 01-31-2012 at 03:21 PM..
Old 01-29-2012, 04:09 AM   #39
kurosuto
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

What's that container next to the vase?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
kurosuto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #40
DesmondTheMoonBear
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/80%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurosuto View Post
What's that container next to the vase?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
2x

That's a really epic nano whatever it is....and the filter?!
DesmondTheMoonBear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #41
xenxes
Gotta Catch 'Em All

That's my Marina Betta kit :/ link in sig. No updates to eggs this morning.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:59 AM   #42
xenxes
Gotta Catch 'Em All

Been throwing in the odd ice cube in to try to get the container down to optimal hatching temperature (50-65F). Not sure how else to do it.

Threw in half a IAL leaf too so they'll have something to nibble on, threw in a pinch of baking soda to compenate for pH, they like it around 7.6

It's been about 24 hours now, and I see a handful of squirming specs of dust in the bottom of the vase. Fed a little bit of yeast soup.

You definitely can't see them in this pic
Old 01-30-2012, 08:21 AM   #43
epex
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/90%)

I've ordered Thai fairy shrimps before and they came in the same container. It might have been from the same site. Although mine were in clear gel capsules and not just dumped in the container itself.

For the setup the next time around I suggest using old aquarium tank water. If you can leave the water out in the sun so it gets green with algae and then put some eggs in.
There is no need for a "bubbler". That just kills them. When the air bubbles rise the tiny things get washed up in the current and they are still fragile. Any container with a large surface area for air transfer will do.

As for food, microwaving the solution just kills and cooks the yeast. So no microwaves. You want your yeast alive. Hot tap water is fine. Don't use as much sugar. You just want the sugar to quick start the yeast. Don't make so much yeast solution especially is you are going to put it in a sealed container. The more yeast food solution, the more gas is produced. The container will pop open and perhaps splatter inside your fridge.

After a while there will be some muck/slime build up on the bottom of the container. That is normal.
epex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #44
xenxes
Gotta Catch 'Em All

Lol thanks for the tip, didn't realize a little time in the microwave would kill them all. And yeah, the CO2 popped the lid on my 2nd batch. I added some crushed algae wafers & fish flakes this time.

There was about 100 squirming white specks of dust when I checked this morning:

Cloudy from new yeast solution. Put a black folder on the back and turned up contrast & zoom, the round brown ones are those with egg sacs still attached to them.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:01 AM   #45
epex
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/90%)

haha, I was typing my response late into the morning so I am tired. I didn't realize that the solution was microwaved for only 20 sec. My response was/is for the entire group in this thread. I'm too lazy to click the quote button :P Anywho...moving on...

I've used java moss and fire moss for the creatures to cling to at the bottom. As for the waterline, I use duckweed, frogbit and dwarf water lettuce. The roots of the floating plants are great for them to hang on to.

Sponge filters can also be used, BUT the device must be modded so that as the bubbles exit the top of the sponge at or near the waterline. Either propping the sponge filter nearer the top of the water or use some sort of tubing to extend the filter.
epex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.