The Complete Fairy Shrimp Guide (hopefully, help me fill in the blanks!) - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #16
blacksheep998
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Back when I used to keep triops I had an occasional fairy shrimp pop up and always liked them. They never got more than a half-inch though.

But they look very cool and the redtail shrimp eggs are very cheap on e-bay $5-10 for 10k eggs. I've got a mini 2 gallon tank laying around I'm not using that I think I might set up for some of these guys. Is it really as easy as just letting the water evaporate and then add distilled water to make the babies hatch? And would RO water work as well as distilled?
blacksheep998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #17
Kannachan13
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Nah shrimp eggs have been known to last ten years I'm good! Arizonafairyshrimp is on ebay too- eeandss. Dadasis is a great seller too, byt he mainly sells triops.
Kannachan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #18
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheep998 View Post
Back when I used to keep triops I had an occasional fairy shrimp pop up and always liked them. They never got more than a half-inch though.

But they look very cool and the redtail shrimp eggs are very cheap on e-bay $5-10 for 10k eggs. I've got a mini 2 gallon tank laying around I'm not using that I think I might set up for some of these guys. Is it really as easy as just letting the water evaporate and then add distilled water to make the babies hatch? And would RO water work as well as distilled?
I think distilled or RO would work (so long as it's not tap). The Thai breeder site recommended spring water to mimic the water pond environment in the mountains. They're very hardy and hatch/live in almost anything, I think the Red-tail variety is the easiest by far.

Hatching % is higher in cool water (50-65F). Not sure how to mimic this, maybe I'll keep it under an AC vent or throw in tiny bits of ice.

And replacing the water isn't necessary, they feed off the bacteria & microorganisms in the water. Just don't feed anymore if the water is cloudy and wait for it to clear up by itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannachan13 View Post
Nah shrimp eggs have been known to last ten years I'm good! Arizonafairyshrimp is on ebay too- eeandss. Dadasis is a great seller too, byt he mainly sells triops.
Had no idea they lasted that long, still, throw a few in and take pics!
xenxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #19
Kannachan13
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
I think distilled or RO would work (so long as it's not tap). The Thai breeder site recommended spring water to mimic the water pond environment in the mountains. They're very hardy and hatch/live in almost anything, I think the Red-tail variety is the easiest by far.

Hatching % is higher in cool water (50-65F). Not sure how to mimic this, maybe I'll keep it under an AC vent or throw in tiny bits of ice.

And replacing the water isn't necessary, they feed off the bacteria & microorganisms in the water. Just don't feed anymore if the water is cloudy and wait for it to clear up by itself.

Had no idea they lasted that long, still, throw a few in and take pics!
...that actually just gave me the brilliant idea of using them to help cycle the new 10g I have... Decisions, decisions...
Old 01-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #20
jasonpatterson
Wannabe Guru

Went to setup my triops tank again.

Me: "Honey, where is my stuff from this shelf?"
Wife: "I needed the space."
Me: "That's not what I asked, where is my stuff?"
Wife: "It was just junk."
Me: "Was there a baggie filled with sand?"
Wife: "Yes, it broke open."
Me: "!(@#*&(@!*&#!!!"
--fin--

I scoured the shelf and swept up the bits of sand from the corners. Out of several thousand triops eggs I had harvested, I'll be happy if I have 10 left.
jasonpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #21
blacksheep998
Planted Member

Similar thing happened to me. I had left the sand containing eggs in the small tank I'd been raising them in, and it got dumped out by someone who thought it was trash. I attempted to recover any eggs from the corners of the tank and even had 2 hatch, but they died after a couple days and I'm not sure why. That was the end of my triops adventure though.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #22
Kannachan13
Algae Grower

There are people who sell the eggs on both ebay and thetriopsforum, but they're really hard to kill I've boiled sand to kill the eggs hoping I could reuse it for another species and the stupid things still hatched.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #23
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpatterson View Post
Me: "Honey, where is my stuff from this shelf?"
Wife: "I needed the space."
Me: "That's not what I asked, where is my stuff?"
Wife: "It was just junk."
Me: "Was there a baggie filled with sand?"
Wife: "Yes, it broke open."
Me: "!(@#*&(@!*&#!!!"
--fin--
LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannachan13 View Post
There are people who sell the eggs on both ebay and thetriopsforum, but they're really hard to kill I've boiled sand to kill the eggs hoping I could reuse it for another species and the stupid things still hatched.
Triops eggs enter a state of extended diapause when dry, and will tolerate temperatures of up to 98 C (208 F) for 16 hours, whereas the adult cannot survive temperatures above 34 C (93 F) for 24 hours or 40 C (104 F) for 2 hours.
Triops look creepy. Hatch some fairy shrimps
Old 01-13-2012, 07:01 PM   #24
blacksheep998
Planted Member

Just thought I'd give a quick update since this thread was supposed to be a guide.

I got my fairy shrimp eggs yesterday and started them last night in a 2 gallon mini bowfront tank I used to use for guppy fry. I used pure RO water and the only other things in the tank are a small driftwood chunk and a piece of java moss, both from an established tank so they should be nicely coated in algae and microorganisms. The tank has a heater but no filter and I've left the light, a 13 watt 6500K CFL, on continuously since I know light is supposed to help hatching rates.

This morning I checked and there's hundreds of them swimming about, I guess I added too many eggs. lol

The instructions are poorly translated and hard to read, but they appear to say to feed them the bakers yeast formula daily starting on day 1. This goes against most of the guides I've read, so I gave them only a tiny amount.

Anyway, that's my day 1 update. If things continue to go well there will be further ones.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:32 PM   #25
Kannachan13
Algae Grower

I generally wait 24 hours to feed. Personally I prefer spirulina powder over yeast, the one time I used yeast the water got so cloudy I couldn't even see my shrimp...

Post pictures when you can. =]
Old 01-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #26
blacksheep998
Planted Member

I'll see about picking up some spirulina powder, in the meantime the yeast will have to do. And I tried taking some pictures but they mostly just look like an empty tank right now. Hopefully in a couple days they'll be large enough to see a little easier.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:38 AM   #27
jasonpatterson
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheep998 View Post
The instructions are poorly translated and hard to read, but they appear to say to feed them the bakers yeast formula daily starting on day 1.
This seems to be the case with virtually all of the vernal pool creatures I've tried. Even the ones who are supposed to be based in the US have terrible Engrish.
jasonpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:25 AM   #28
Kannachan13
Algae Grower

If you have issues with the instructions you can usually find them online, or find someone on a forum for vernal critters who can help you out.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #29
londonloco
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I want pics, please......
londonloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:10 PM   #30
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

Pics coming... I just finally got my 5,000 Thai Fairy Shrimp eggs from Thailand, apparently they all fit into this:

I don't have any food ready, can't seem to locate any yeast, or a spare glass container.