LED Lighting Compendium - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 03:03 AM   #76
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru
 
Hoppy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (75/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 18,886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardax View Post
Would having 2 sets of LED fixtures double the PAR value like it does for T5HO?

I have 2 of the Marineland Double Brights on my 18" high tank and wonder where I am at for light levels?
It would only double the PAR if the two lights were sitting right together. That light doesn't spread out a lot, so two widely separated lights would each light up the substrate directly under them, and between them the PAR would probably be a little less, but might be about the same.
__________________
Hoppy
Hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #77
Drewsplantednutz
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Drewsplantednutz's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MASS
Posts: 358
Default 20g lowlight plants LED suggestions???

Thank you so much for this post. I'm new to having plants in my tank and love leds. I seen the marineland single bright 18-24 at petsmart and had to buy it. I did a little research onit before that and was only comparing it to their double bright model. I have a low light plant package I bought from plantedaquariumscentral.com. After about a week using this light, my anacharis looks like its tips are starting to curl downward. Soooooo, I packed that light back in its box and will be returning it today and putting that $50 towards a real led light. I want a strip type that will sit on top of my open 20g high. I'm looking at the ecoxotic panorama or stunner because I want to be able to upgrade to a 55g and only have to buy an extra strip to add to what I would have. Anyone recommend a led strip/bar type for under $100 for my 20g high? I have Java fern, Java moss, anacharis, a marimo ball, crypto wendtii, crypto retrospiralis and dwarf baby tears. From what ive read, the baby tears are out of my league but I wanted that nice lawn look for my foreground. Any led suggestions?
Drewsplantednutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:35 AM   #78
samamorgan
Wannabe Guru
 
samamorgan's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,234
Send a message via MSN to samamorgan Send a message via Skype™ to samamorgan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewsplantednutz View Post
Thank you so much for this post. I'm new to having plants in my tank and love leds. I seen the marineland single bright 18-24 at petsmart and had to buy it. I did a little research onit before that and was only comparing it to their double bright model. I have a low light plant package I bought from plantedaquariumscentral.com. After about a week using this light, my anacharis looks like its tips are starting to curl downward. Soooooo, I packed that light back in its box and will be returning it today and putting that $50 towards a real led light. I want a strip type that will sit on top of my open 20g high. I'm looking at the ecoxotic panorama or stunner because I want to be able to upgrade to a 55g and only have to buy an extra strip to add to what I would have. Anyone recommend a led strip/bar type for under $100 for my 20g high? I have Java fern, Java moss, anacharis, a marimo ball, crypto wendtii, crypto retrospiralis and dwarf baby tears. From what ive read, the baby tears are out of my league but I wanted that nice lawn look for my foreground. Any led suggestions?
Glad this helped you out! When it comes to your light needs, you cant carpet HC without at least medium/high light. If i remember correctly, your tank is 24"x13"x17". At that depth and width, i think two 24" stunner strips would give you medium/high light and get you on your way to a good carpet. You'd better be running Co2 though.

http://www.ecoxotic.com/aquarium-led...s-12-watt.html Get the 8000k white ones. The initial cost is going to be a bit, so you might be able to just start with one strip for now, and upgrade when you've got the money. $80 for one 24" strip, $16 for a power transformer, and 2 x $7 for two reflectors (not required, but recommended). $96 without reflectors for one, $110 for one with reflectors, $204 for two with reflectors.

If you take the HC out of the equation you can probably get away with just one, and add another when you go to 55, since it's 48" long instead of 24". These stunner strips are probably your best option for modularity, since you plan on upgrading. Or a couple panorama fixtures, they cover a little more area. Thats a higher cost though.

A second option would be: go down to IKEA and get a light fixture you wouldnt mind hanging above your tank and are big enough for spotlight bulbs, and get a couple of the WingoLED PAR38 bulbs, they screw into a standard E26/27 bulb socket. I have no idea what these cost, but it's worth looking into, and you could make it match your home decor.
__________________
LED Lighting Compendium
20 Long Rimess w/LEDs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Beethoven
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into it's secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
samamorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #79
tankies
Algae Grower
 
tankies's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 12
Default

is anyone using marineland reef capable fixture and successfully growing high-light plants in their tank?
tankies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:33 PM   #80
tankies
Algae Grower
 
tankies's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 12
Default

another question for those who uses par 38 = any suggestions on how far to hang it above the tank (thinking of getting a 25gal(24x12x20) and planning to keep plants that require high light)? which angle is better?
tankies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:01 AM   #81
madness
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,701
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankies View Post
another question for those who uses par 38 = any suggestions on how far to hang it above the tank (thinking of getting a 25gal(24x12x20) and planning to keep plants that require high light)? which angle is better?
This can just vary so much with LEDs because the angle of the lenses varies.

Someone like WingoLED would be a great person to try and ask specifics though. I think that some specific PAR charts from some of his lights on the first page. Looking at one it shows that at 24" from the substrate (6 inches over the top of the tank assuming 2 inches of substrate and that my math is correct) then in a circle starting at the center of the light you would have 6" in every direction of the light where the PAR was ~60mmols (which is a good number). Due to overlap and other issues you might be able to use 3 of these PAR38 bulbs and get good and high light coverage over the whole tank.

Sort of hard to visualize even with the chart.

Again the best option (after consulting the PAR charts yourself) would be to contact someone like WingoLED and ask them.
madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:27 PM   #82
tankies
Algae Grower
 
tankies's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madness View Post
This can just vary so much with LEDs because the angle of the lenses varies.

Someone like WingoLED would be a great person to try and ask specifics though. I think that some specific PAR charts from some of his lights on the first page. Looking at one it shows that at 24" from the substrate (6 inches over the top of the tank assuming 2 inches of substrate and that my math is correct) then in a circle starting at the center of the light you would have 6" in every direction of the light where the PAR was ~60mmols (which is a good number). Due to overlap and other issues you might be able to use 3 of these PAR38 bulbs and get good and high light coverage over the whole tank.

Sort of hard to visualize even with the chart.

Again the best option (after consulting the PAR charts yourself) would be to contact someone like WingoLED and ask them.

thanks!!! thinking of getting 2 and hang the same distance as you mentioned. dont need to have all corners to be bright as im thinking of getting other plants that require less.
tankies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:25 AM   #83
WingoAgency
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
WingoAgency's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York USA
Posts: 342
Send a message via Skype™ to WingoAgency
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankies View Post
another question for those who uses par 38 = any suggestions on how far to hang it above the tank (thinking of getting a 25gal(24x12x20) and planning to keep plants that require high light)? which angle is better?
60 degree.

If you are using 2 15x1W 6,700K type PAR bulbs and space them 12" apart,
you get an estimated PAR along the center axis:

58+(left), 102(under the bulb), 116(center), 102(under the bulb), 58+(right),

when the lights are set 30 inch from the bottom of your tank.

The front and the back of the tank is expected to be 58+
WingoAgency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:42 AM   #84
tankies
Algae Grower
 
tankies's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingoAgency View Post
60 degree.

If you are using 2 15x1W 6,700K type PAR bulbs and space them 12" apart,
you get an estimated PAR along the center axis:

58+(left), 102(under the bulb), 116(center), 102(under the bulb), 58+(right),

when the lights are set 30 inch from the bottom of your tank.

The front and the back of the tank is expected to be 58+
most helpful....thanks!
tankies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:13 AM   #85
sockfish
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
sockfish's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: True North
Posts: 406
Default

Can any of the Lighting Gurus tell me anything about this light at aquatraders? I have an 18" tall 30 gal tank with just anubias, javas and crypts....

http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Fresh...ht-p/56204.htm

How to figure out the PAR?

thanx,
sox
__________________
sockfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:51 AM   #86
samamorgan
Wannabe Guru
 
samamorgan's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,234
Send a message via MSN to samamorgan Send a message via Skype™ to samamorgan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockfish View Post
Can any of the Lighting Gurus tell me anything about this light at aquatraders? I have an 18" tall 30 gal tank with just anubias, javas and crypts....

http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Fresh...ht-p/56204.htm

How to figure out the PAR?

thanx,
sox
Odd, that looks exactly like the Marineland Single Bright fixture. Looks like Marineland is probably importing from China and rebranding. Wouldn't be the first time. That fixture uses very low power LEDs that aren't very close together. Wouldn't be suitable for plants beyond low light in a very shallow tank. 0.06W LEDs are laughable.

The only way to figure out PAR is to use a very expensive PAR meter and measure the light output with the fixture on hand at different distances. You can estimate around where the output will be by knowing the values of a similar fixture, but for real accuracy from fixture to fixture you need to actually measure it with a meter.
__________________
LED Lighting Compendium
20 Long Rimess w/LEDs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Beethoven
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into it's secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
samamorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #87
SSGWJ
Newbie
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: St. Louis MO
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
It would only double the PAR if the two lights were sitting right together. That light doesn't spread out a lot, so two widely separated lights would each light up the substrate directly under them, and between them the PAR would probably be a little less, but might be about the same.
I currently have a ML Double Bright (24") on my 29G non-planted tank and I love it. My question... I am in the process of upgrading to a 75 gallon tank for my rainbows (building stand now), and want this to be a low-light planted tank. I'm mainly interested in java moss, ferns, anubias and crypts. The aquarium is in my living room, so aesthetics are important (one of the reasons I love the slim double bright). Based on the PAR ratings I should be OK with low light plants using this fixture, correct? Since the 75G is 48x18x21 there would be plenty of room for two of these fixtures if needed. If I did this, could I even add some medium light plants? Thanks in advance.
SSGWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #88
samamorgan
Wannabe Guru
 
samamorgan's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,234
Send a message via MSN to samamorgan Send a message via Skype™ to samamorgan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGWJ View Post
I currently have a ML Double Bright (24") on my 29G non-planted tank and I love it. My question... I am in the process of upgrading to a 75 gallon tank for my rainbows (building stand now), and want this to be a low-light planted tank. I'm mainly interested in java moss, ferns, anubias and crypts. The aquarium is in my living room, so aesthetics are important (one of the reasons I love the slim double bright). Based on the PAR ratings I should be OK with low light plants using this fixture, correct? Since the 75G is 48x18x21 there would be plenty of room for two of these fixtures if needed. If I did this, could I even add some medium light plants? Thanks in advance.
Yes, you would be in the low-medium range of light. I would get the 48-60" fixture though, it provides better numbers and more coverage. If it isn't enough back to front just get two like you said.
__________________
LED Lighting Compendium
20 Long Rimess w/LEDs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Beethoven
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into it's secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
samamorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #89
dasob85
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (18/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 668
Default

Thanks! This is very informative and just what I was looking for regarding LEDS. I think I will go with the marineland double brights
dasob85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #90
burtonman
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 13
Default

Did anyone ever explain why I'd want a marineland reef capable light a foot off the top of the tank? Is it too bright?
burtonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012