Stuck on lighting choice
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 07-02-2014, 09:35 AM   #1
Dragonxflare
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Stuck on lighting choice

I am re-converting back to freshwater plant tank from Salt water reef, and figured I can no longer use the reef lights I had for my reef tank.

I have been researching around, and found a few brands that are very popular among the planted community. My tank dimensions are 23.6" x 19.7" x 16.5" and I am stuck between the following lights (Also, some of them are on sale)

Goal: high light plants

Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED+ Fixture: $76.49Click here

Marineland Aquatic Plant LED Lighting System w/Timer: $135.99 Click Here

Kessil A150WE 6500K: $224.99 Click here

Finnex Ray2 Aquarium LED Daylight: $85.99
Click Here Click Here

At first, I was leaning towards the Kessil, since I am familiar with them (used their reef one), but after seeing the price on the other LED units, I cant pass them up, if their superior.

What is everyones thoughts? Which would you use, on a 30 gallon tank?
Dragonxflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 10:11 AM   #2
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Wait for other replies but I don't think the Satalite will get you high light.
On the other hand...if the 19.7" is from front to back, then you might want two of the Satalite+ for it. That would get you close to high light or in it.
One other thing: Have you looked at BML LED lights ? @ 24" it wouldn't be a very expensive one to fit it.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:00 PM   #3
Veritas
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

It depends really, What are your lighting goals? What kind of plants are you aiming to grow?
Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #4
ChemGuyEthan
Planted Member

If you're looking for high light, you will need two Satellite + fixtures, I think. They're only in the "high light" range at a depth of about 6"... At your depth, it's low light. Not sure about the spread, but one won't cut it for high light.

I am a big fan of the build my led fixtures which are moderately priced. You can email them and they can give you a suggestion for the proper light fixture setup from them, they have exceptional customer service. (keep in mind it takes about 2 weeks to get your light though cause they make them after the order is received) You might be able to get away with just one of their fixtures, which should put you in the $150-200 range.

Otherwise you could probably do a Finnex Ray2 and a Monser Ray, that would get you a more uniform coverage and fight the wash-out from the Ray2 (I don't have a Ray2, so I can't confirm the wash-out other than what I've read, but I do have a Monster Ray and like the colors it adds). This is a pretty popular combo I see pop up around the forum.

Rumors have also popped up on the Finnex sponser board here about a new planted + "elite" fixture that will be high light, but no word on when it will be available... So until then, you'll have to go with another option.

Just my 2 cents.
ChemGuyEthan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:42 PM   #5
roadmaster
Wannabe Guru

If the reef lights you have were used over the same tank you are converting to planted tank,then could just need different bulbs rather than a new light.
Do be aware that plants more often as not respond to more CO2 rather than light.
I mean you do not absolutely need higher lighting once CO2 is thrown into the mix.
If no CO2 injection is employed then I would not go with uber lighting.
roadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:48 PM   #6
ChemGuyEthan
Planted Member

+1 on the CO2 comment.

With that much light, CO2 is a must.
ChemGuyEthan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:18 PM   #7
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Those Kessil lights are pretty awesome but you will likely need two. It's not an output issue, it's spread issue (unless something has changed). You will have one spotlight in the middle of your tank. Even with 2, it still can have that effect, not sure it's as much of an issue on a 24 in wide tank but you either like it or you don't. Again, maybe they have more spread than older models. However, they put out a lot of light so they may be overkill with two. They are great for deep tanks.

I am not sure about the Ray 2, looking at this chart, seems to be a great candidate- http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=189944

With the Sat +, it's really not a lot of light. Again, you will need two most likely.

I know very little about the Marineland to give advice.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:39 PM   #8
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

You can custom choose each bulb on a BML custom fixture or get one pre made at
a reduced price. Those come in a couple of different light styles.
Been a while since I visited their site but the 20" one custom made was $135.
I think their "Dutch" style pre made one may be right for what you are trying to do.
Either way once you pass about 80 PAR you will need injected CO2.
I run 100 PAR in a 10g without it but I live/w cladaphora(that algae which is often mistaken for hair algae) and GSA and I do use double doses of Excel daily in there.
Sounds like you want even more than 100 Par so you will need the injected kind of CO2.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:53 PM   #9
Dragonxflare
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
If the reef lights you have were used over the same tank you are converting to planted tank,then could just need different bulbs rather than a new light.
Do be aware that plants more often as not respond to more CO2 rather than light.
I mean you do not absolutely need higher lighting once CO2 is thrown into the mix.
If no CO2 injection is employed then I would not go with uber lighting.
Once everything is setup, I will be injecting CO2 in there to help
Old 07-02-2014, 10:53 PM   #10
ThisDarkDivide
Algae Grower

If your not quite sure about the Kessil lights on fresh water, check out the following links for these other lights.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Ecoxotic_...FILDTN-vi.html

http://www.buildmyled.com/aquarium/

I'm running 2 of the Sat+ lights on my JBJ 24 gallon nano cube and growing Anubis Nana and dwarf hairgrass just fine.

Hope this helps. Keep us updated.
ThisDarkDivide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:08 AM   #11
Dragonxflare
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone, entered up going with a Kessil 150 WE amazon sun for $120 (great deal on CL). If more light is needed.... I can purchase a finnex off Amazon for around $80.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:01 AM   #12
Dragonxflare
Algae Grower

*update*

As I said, earlier, I got a good deal on a Kessil 150 WE Amazon Sun, and have my tank set up with a DIY co2 system, until my Green Leaf Aquarium CO2 system is shipped to me.

I am not sure if my tank has enough light with only 1 Kessil, so I was considering adding another.

I was looking at one of the 2:

Finnex Ray2
finnex fugeray planted+

Will having a Kessil 150WE amazon sun, along with a Finnex be over kill?

I am just worried I wont have enough light for baby tears, etc etc. I read that they need high light, or they will grow upwards, instead of carpeting.

Any help would be great, thanks!
Old 07-08-2014, 03:45 AM   #13
gus6464
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

That Kessil is putting out more than enough PAR. People around here just have something against cannon based lights.
gus6464 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:20 AM   #14
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

Lets try to get you unstuck.

First off, I personally think that pendant / cannon based lights over shallower / square tanks = best aesthetics. I have a 30g half square and a 60g square tanks that I would *love* to use such lights over. ~14' ceiling + cost + personal inertia made such combination impractical for me. IMO, pendant / cannon + conventional light fixture will look rather fugly.

Second, we can fret all we want about par / spectrum / color temperature / spread but that in itself will not make the plants flourish. That just creates more stress in a hobby we are supposed to enjoy. You already got the light, the tank, the plants you want - let 'em rip.

Conclusion: save your $$$. Give it a month and let the tank and the plants tell you if they are happy or not. You just might get surprised at what plants really need, expert advise or not.

You can always spend another $300 later.

v3
Old 07-08-2014, 05:51 AM   #15
gus6464
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Lets try to get you unstuck.

First off, I personally think that pendant / cannon based lights over shallower / square tanks = best aesthetics. I have a 30g half square and a 60g square tanks that I would *love* to use such lights over. ~14' ceiling + cost + personal inertia made such combination impractical for me. IMO, pendant / cannon + conventional light fixture will look rather fugly.

Second, we can fret all we want about par / spectrum / color temperature / spread but that in itself will not make the plants flourish. That just creates more stress in a hobby we are supposed to enjoy. You already got the light, the tank, the plants you want - let 'em rip.

Conclusion: save your $$$. Give it a month and let the tank and the plants tell you if they are happy or not. You just might get surprised at what plants really need, expert advise or not.

You can always spend another $300 later.

v3
http://www.cncreef.com/ProductDetail...tCode=ASIS_810

It's basically a square that can cool up to 150W of LEDs and can be hung or used with their gooseneck. Driver boards can be mounted on top hidden out of sight with power supply and controller going underneath your stand. A couple high power emitters and you got all the light you could ever want on your 60g cube.
gus6464 is online now   Reply With Quote