Comparison of color temperature Finnex Stingray vs Planted+..
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 04-18-2015, 03:13 AM   #1
mattinmd
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Comparison of color temperature Finnex Stingray vs Planted+..

So, I recently got a stingray for my smaller tank, which I upgraded from a 5 gallon to a 10 at the Petco DPG sale...

One thing that struck me is how much cooler the color temperature of the stingray is in comparison to the planted+, even with the blue moonlights on.

To be honest, I really like the appearance of the tank with the stingray. It has a certain crisp vibrance to it that I like.

Regardless, in this shot, there's a stingray on the 10g on the left, and the planted+ is on the 36-bow on the right. Notice the color of the walls, which are actually painted the same color.... All other lights in the room are off at the time of the shot.

Please pardon the mild mess in the 10 gallon... I just set it up on Tuesday and haven't gotten all the plants into the substrate yet. (and yes, those are PVC conduit couplers and fake silk red plants in there, the 5g was originally set up on the cheap as a QT tank, and the 10g inherited them to start with...)

I suppose in retrospect the difference should be expected..

The planted+ is about 1/3 red, with a very trivial amount of blue LEDs. The stingray actually has one more blue LED than red, and each is about 1/5th the total led count...

The LED counts are: as follows

fixture - white:red:blue
Stingray - 23:4:5
Planted+- 104:48:8
mattinmd is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2015, 12:07 PM   #2
theatermusic87
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Interesting to see them side by side like that
Old 04-18-2015, 12:23 PM   #3
mattinmd
Wannabe Guru

Yeah, that is what caused me to take and post the photo. Aquarium co-op has a video comparing the two side by side as well. However the tanks are store tanks with very little in them and black backgrounds. It gives a better impression of the brightness difference as they are both 24" on a 20 high tank, but the brighness difference hides the color differences. In my case both tanks are around 35 par at the substrate.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:50 AM   #4
alohamonte
Planted Member

Is the stingyray enough light to grow plants? I'm looking at the 24" stingray for my 20g tall to replace the coralife 2x24w strip I have on there now.

20g Tall Low Tech Planted
alohamonte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2015, 05:22 AM   #5
jeffkrol
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohamonte View Post
Is the stingyray enough light to grow plants? I'm looking at the 24" stingray for my 20g tall to replace the coralife 2x24w strip I have on there now.
If I had to guess, the one stingray will be less light than what you have now.. whatever that means to you..

Strictly as a very broad rule of thumb.. 1/2W LED = 1W fluorescent..

24" stingray is 13W
Old 04-21-2015, 11:30 AM   #6
mattinmd
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
If I had to guess, the one stingray will be less light than what you have now.. whatever that means to you..

Strictly as a very broad rule of thumb.. 1/2W LED = 1W fluorescent..

24" stingray is 13W
Agreed in general, although I would argue it is less dramatic than the normal rule of thumb suggests, only because the fixture in question is a coralife, so a lot of the light generated never makes it out of the fixture due to horrible reflector design..

If the fixture was decent, the performance difference would be large.

A 24" dual bulb T5HO coralife at 16" is about 40 PAR... (red curve near the bottom)

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368

Aquarium co-op stuck a stingray on a 20-high and got 30 PAR:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD7QaRzf1Qw

Thus the stingray on a 20-high should be a good setup for low-tech plant growth.. if you're going high-tech and CO2 injection, it isn't for you unless your tank is very shallow.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:50 PM   #7
jeffkrol
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinmd View Post
Agreed in general, although I would argue it is less dramatic than the normal rule of thumb suggests, only because the fixture in question is a coralife, so a lot of the light generated never makes it out of the fixture due to horrible reflector design..

If the fixture was decent, the performance difference would be large.

A 24" dual bulb T5HO coralife at 16" is about 40 PAR... (red curve near the bottom)

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368

Aquarium co-op stuck a stingray on a 20-high and got 30 PAR:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD7QaRzf1Qw

Thus the stingray on a 20-high should be a good setup for low-tech plant growth.. if you're going high-tech and CO2 injection, it isn't for you unless your tank is very shallow.
Agreed and thanks. Sometimes I get tired of looking at or finding PAR charts..

Oddly enough that fits the "secondary" rule well 1/3W =1W..
A (non-existent) 16W Stingray...
fun w/ numbers..

The "rule" is based on a few measurements that have been done by various sources so it certainly isn't meant for anything real critical..

spending hard earned cash and having it under-perform to expectations is worse than a bit extra par..

The best answer of course is over PAR-ed and dimmable..
Old 04-21-2015, 02:54 PM   #8
mattinmd
Wannabe Guru

I still think the 1/2w to 1w is a good rule of thumb, assuming the 1w fluorescent you are talking about is a T5HO with good reflectors..

There's just so many efficiency factors out there that can wildly throw these rules off though. Like the Coralife, which is really not normal in terms of light output.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:12 PM   #9
brooksie321
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I have a stingray behind a planted plus on a 20 tall.. stingray comes on an hour before as a sort of wake up cycle. It does look nice in there with just the stingray going.. both together look pretty sweet too
brooksie321 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2015, 06:21 PM   #10
grizzly_a
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I agree, I really like the color spectrum, but would like a bit more red and a tiny bit brighter. But it looks great and still grows my lower light plants.

I have a stingray on a 20H, 29, and 36Bow. On the 36bow I have a Ray2 and use the stingray for color depth and "night light". It really intensifies the colors of the blues/reds on my fish. (My neons really POP!!!)
grizzly_a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2015, 02:33 AM   #11
mattinmd
Wannabe Guru

Yeah, I'd have gone for more red as well.. stacking more blue on top of 7000k LEDs seems a tad silly. Maybe some day I'll take a soldering iron to the board and swap in a few warm whites for some of the blues....

That said, I'm still impressed with the light, even though the effective color temperature is quite high, it still has enough red to make red plants, etc look ok.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:47 AM   #12
goodbytes
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wow, its really great to see these two lights side by side. I would have thought the Planted + would have the same color tone only brighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohamonte View Post
It absolutely is.

goodbytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2015, 12:32 PM   #13
mattinmd
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbytes View Post
Wow, its really great to see these two lights side by side. I would have thought the Planted + would have the same color tone only brighter.
Yeah, I naively thought they'd be close, but in retrospect if you look at the specs it is very obvious it should be much more blue..

20" planted+: 72 white, 40 red, 8 blue (blues switchable separately)
20" stingray: 23 white, 4 red, 5 blue (blues NOT switchable separately)

So if you look at the red-to-blue ratio, there's 5 times more red than blue in the planted+, and the blues can be turned off leaving it just red/white...

On the stingray, there's more blue than there is red, and you can't turn them off without turning off the whole fixture.

So in hindsight, the stingray is clearly going to be at a slightly higher color temperature than the 7000k of their whites, since there's more blue being added than red...

The planted+ is going to be at a lower color temperature than 7000k, because there's a lot more red being added than blue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.