Lighting Ideas for a 2.5gal grow out tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 08-30-2014, 07:09 PM   #1
hollo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Lighting Ideas for a 2.5gal grow out tank

Hello!
So, I have dozens of baby java fern, some baby anubias, and a spattering of other plants that are very tiny and getting lost in my 30 gallon tank. Currently my 'nursery' area is the very front of my 30 gallon, but I have a 2.5 gallon bowfront (one of those acrylic 'my first tank' setups
Amazon.com : Aqueon 17771 Mini Bow 2-1/2 Desktop Aquarium Kit, Black : Fish Tanks : Pet Supplies Amazon.com : Aqueon 17771 Mini Bow 2-1/2 Desktop Aquarium Kit, Black : Fish Tanks : Pet Supplies
just not that filter) that I'm considering setting up as a nursery/grow out tank.
Is this a practical idea? I'd rather use what I have than have to buy something new.

I'm dosing PPS-Pro in my big tank, so I can continue that with the small one, I have gravel only unfortunately, but Seachem Flourish root tabs. I have pieces of driftwood for the java fern and anubias babies. I also have one of those in tank filters that could help with keeping the water circulated and moving and help with filtration.

The only thing I need help with (I think) is the lighting - I don't know if the standard light fixture can handle a screw in LED? And since these are lower light plants I'm looking for lighting that is not too high. I don't use CO2 injection, but I do dose liquid carbon (API CO2 Booster)

Does anyone have any suggestions for what type of bulb to use? Or should I invest in a better light fixture? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
hollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2014, 03:39 AM   #2
GoodOldDays
Algae Grower

Get one of those desk goose neck fixtures and use a small CFL. Put a female betta in to provide necessary bacteria.
GoodOldDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:17 AM   #3
cjstl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Keep the hood and change the bulb. You'll be happier. It looks like a candelabra bulb. There are plenty of options out there. I use this on a 1G AquaView tank:

ABI 3-Watt Daylight White Candelabra LED Light Bulb, E12 Base 200 Lumens - Led Household Light Bulbs - Amazon.com ABI 3-Watt Daylight White Candelabra LED Light Bulb, E12 Base 200 Lumens - Led Household Light Bulbs - Amazon.com

It also has a 5 Watt brother that was too bright for my tank, but might be good for yours.