Aquaticlife T5HO questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 07-11-2014, 08:21 PM   #1
Blackheart
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Aquaticlife T5HO questions

So just purchased a Aquaticlife T5HO 2 39 watt fixture Amazon for 50 bucks. Pretty good price!

Now to my understanding you can buy another 2 39 watt fixture and link them together? Because I'd like to maybe try out C02 at some point, but only have money to invest in one fixture right now. It seems this would be the best way to go, instead of having to buy a whole new fixture.

And also... is it possible to purchase different bulbs then what comes with the fixture initially?

Last edited by Blackheart; 07-11-2014 at 08:22 PM.. Reason: ...
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2014, 09:06 PM   #2
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Yes, you can link up to 3 fixtures together so you can upgrade in the future by adding another light while maintaining the appearance of one light. It's good if you are suspending the lights though plenty of us use two lights of the same brand, or different brands anyway so aside from cosmetics and hanging, you could go with another light of any type in the future to add to it.

You can definitely swap the bulbs out and I personally didn't like that combination myself. Just make sure they are T5HO bulbs, T5 bulbs fit (and actually will work) but you want to stick to T5HO (high output) bulbs. They are easy to find, both online and locally if you have local stores around you.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:44 AM   #3
Blackheart
Wannabe Guru

Also... how about a fixture like this over a tank that's 36x12x20? Would that be considered medium lighting?
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:12 AM   #4
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

Depends on who's chart you look. Some would list it as lower end of the high level
because they have a small window for the med level.
I find that True Lumen "Flora" which Doctors Foster & Smith sells has a light which has no glair to it. The picture of it in the on-line makes it look pink. But it has white 6700K light when lit. I have an Odyssea fixture from the Bay but the bulbs that came/w it (6500K) look bad to me because of so much glair. The True lumen gives my tank the most natural looking color that I have ever seen.
Some manufacturers of bulbs list them by the size of the fixture...24" 36" etc.
But some list them by actual size. The Odyssea bulbs were a full inch longer than the True lumen, but they still fit because of how the bulbs attatch to the fixture.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:24 AM   #5
jeffkrol
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
I find that True Lumen "Flora" which Doctors Foster & Smith sells has a light which has no glair to it.
your lucky day F&S has a bogo on these lights today.. 14th..........
jeffkrol is offline   Reply With Quote