frrok's ADA MINI-M - A Slice of Nature --What has a Begininning must Have an End. - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-03-2012, 12:04 AM   #61
frrok
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Ok so I put the zoomed 501 that was previously on my other tank, on to the mini-m. I have to say the flow is perfect for this tank. The only thing is I really don't have much room for it in the dresser so I had to put it behind the tank for now. I'm hoping my stem plants will fill in the background and hide it. Also, I have the stock eheim outflow on this for now as I'm waiting for the glass outflow that I got on eBay to dry. I think I was able to fix it but the directions say to wait a week before cleaning it or getting it wet. After I did the maintence and hooked everything up unrealized I forgot to clean my glass. Ughhh. Don't want to do another water change and shock my shrimp. So I have to wait until next weeks water change to clean the glass. Also, my new bulb came so hopefully the hair algae that developed will slowly start to fade. Might add another amano I have in my other tank to help with that. Anyway,,, let me know what you think. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336003444.352779.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	46698
The Fraternity of Dirt #11
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
frrok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2012, 12:14 AM   #62
frrok
Wannabe Guru

here are some better quality photos. What do you think? any critiques? the new crypts are still adapting to their submersed form. but my plan is to grow the stem plants up and use the ada trimming technique. hopefully, i will get my co2 system set up in time to complete the layout before the nano contest that aqua botanic is running ends.

Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 05-04-2012, 02:03 AM   #63
aXio
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Looking very good. Once the stems fill in more its going to look even better.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:13 AM   #64
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aXio View Post
Looking very good. Once the stems fill in more its going to look even better.
Thank you! Thx for the encouragement. Growth is very slow. Also, my light is not centered over the tank so the stems grow on angle towards the light. I'm planning on upgrading my lighting soon as well.
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 05-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #65
frrok
Wannabe Guru

finally added my broken lily pipe, i realized that i could still use it and connect the tube. I used the clip from my eheim filter. it looks ok i guess. i will try and take a good shot with the g12 tonight. stems are starting to take off again. except the rotala. very slow growing. not really sure why. this plant should be growing like a weed. Also, as soon as I have the money I want to get the new Aquaray LED tile and suspend it over the tank so I have even spread. I don't like the way the stems grow slanted toward the light. i'd rather have them grow straight up. look better, imo.

fts.not pretty but no more green outflow.
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 05-08-2012, 08:26 PM   #66
Dollface
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (77/100%)

Sometimes, if it works, it works.

I agree that once the stems fill in it'll look great. Have you thought about a foreground at all?
Old 05-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #67
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollface View Post
Sometimes, if it works, it works.

I agree that once the stems fill in it'll look great. Have you thought about a foreground at all?
Yes! and I am currently growing it emersed. Lilaeopsis mauritiana "mini micro sword".(thx speedie) Only thing is, I don't have co2 and a new light set up yet.. and I am afraid it will die off without those two.

Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 05-11-2012, 02:47 AM   #68
mcqueenesq
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)

Your tank looks like it's doing really well even without CO2 and a more powerful light. How are you fertilizing?

Mini M
| 60-P | 45-F 1 | 45-F 2
mcqueenesq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2012, 03:01 AM   #69
styxx
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to styxx

frrok, I've got 2 of the 1000ND tiles and believe me, you're going to love yours, believe me! Very little to no heat, reduced power consumption and perfect Kelvin nanometer spread. Definitely worth the $$. However, I think that once you get the CO2, things will really begin to take off and you'll see much more vigorous growth. I do have to say that I'm impressed with your ingenuity with the Eheim clip and the broken lily pipe...nice way to make the best out of a bad situation!
styxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #70
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcqueenesq View Post
Your tank looks like it's doing really well even without CO2 and a more powerful light. How are you fertilizing?
thanks, mcqueenesq. right now i dose trace and some potassium once a week and sometimes once every two weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by styxx View Post
frrok, I've got 2 of the 1000ND tiles and believe me, you're going to love yours, believe me! Very little to no heat, reduced power consumption and perfect Kelvin nanometer spread. Definitely worth the $$. However, I think that once you get the CO2, things will really begin to take off and you'll see much more vigorous growth. I do have to say that I'm impressed with your ingenuity with the Eheim clip and the broken lily pipe...nice way to make the best out of a bad situation!
thanks styxx! i was racking my brains about that pipe...and the solution was right under my nose and I didnt notice.

I won't add the light without co2. Since according this site the mini 400 would be considered high light for a nano tank. what size tank are you using the 1000nd's on? I'm considering those for a larger tank in the future.
Quote:
For Nano Aquariums (under 15 gallons) one Mini 500 for all but the most delicate reef inhabitants or one Mini 400 for ANY high light planted aquarium.
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 05-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #71
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Default stems are creepin'

Friday FTS: stems are creeping up. I am waiting for the rotala to grow more before I trim again. Also, I am not sure about the red crypt in the focal point. It seems out of place right now but once the stems grow more bushy I believe it will work(crossing fingers). I have a vision in my mind of what I want it to look like. I also thinned out the old leaves on the new crypts and trimmed the moss as best as I could. I am also thinning out the duckweed considerably as well. I am still dealing with tinted water but now that I have the canister filter with new media in it, I am using seachem matrix, i am hoping that will help clear up the water without having to do alot of water changes. I am keeping water changes to a minimum. topping off wekly and doing a 25% or so every 2 weeks. I have shrimp and I don't want to mess up parameters too much. check it>>

Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 05-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #72
Dollface
Planted Tank Guru

The crypt is already an excellent focal point, and I agree, it's going to work even better once the stems grow in.

I mentioned it before but I've had a lot of success with purigen for water polishing/tannin removal.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:10 PM   #73
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
The crypt is already an excellent focal point, and I agree, it's going to work even better once the stems grow in.

I mentioned it before but I've had a lot of success with purigen for water polishing/tannin removal.
I know you mentioned it. I considered it but I am currently low on funds at the moment. Tough times, looking for work.
I am trying to save for stuff that I'm going to need for my co2 setup.
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 05-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #74
Dollface
Planted Tank Guru

Man, I know how that is.
Co2 is definitely a fund sucker but it's worth every penny. I've been considering picking up a full system as well but it's gonna take me a while to save up, since my work has dropped off.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #75
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Man, I know how that is.
Co2 is definitely a fund sucker but it's worth every penny. I've been considering picking up a full system as well but it's gonna take me a while to save up, since my work has dropped off.
Thinking of doing a paintball setup with the GLA paintball regulator and solenoid. It's pretty nice but pricey.
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.