frrok's ADA MINI-M - A Slice of Nature --What has a Begininning must Have an End. - Page 14
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #196
frrok
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Just a photo update. Things are growing nicely. I am pretty satisfied with growth. But not the type of growth. For example, all the plants seem to grow longer and lanky in a non-co2 set up. And the moss doesn't grow compact and attach as well. The stem plants I dont love, they are not as bushy as i would like and the rotala grows sideways, which is odd. But overall, it is an interesting look. The rail for my light should be coming soon. Looking forward to seeing how things look with higher lighting and co2. I still haven't figured out my photoperiod will be when I upgrade my lighting. Right now the lights go on early so they are on before I go to work. Then off in the afternoon. Then back on in the evening when I come home. I'm not sure how that will work with co2 and turning it on and off twice in the day. I have a separate thread asking for advice on that issue. Any ideas on a photoperiod?Anyway , here are a few shots I took last night.

Sideways shot showing filter and tubing. Almost time for another cleaning.
The Fraternity of Dirt #11
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
frrok is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #197
styxx
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to styxx

8 hours (6 if the light is positioned closely to the rim of the aquarium) and just use a dual outlet timer that you can plug in both the lights and the CO2 solenoid. That way, when the lights come on the CO2 will come on. My suggestion is to have it come on when you get home from work and go off when you go to bed (at least that's what I do and that's the best way for me to see it's progress and enjoy it because I'm home the entire time). You don't need a thread, I'm here.

As for the current look, it is kind of a while jungle in there - which is fine if you want it that way, but I would keep the driftwood and the moss, it will improve dramatically with the CO2. everything else can go and you could go Iwugami (with a foreground) or Dutch and plant a bunch of stems on a rear slope.
styxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #198
Marconis
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frrok View Post
Just a photo update. Things are growing nicely. I am pretty satisfied with growth. But not the type of growth. For example, all the plants seem to grow longer and lanky in a non-co2 set up. And the moss doesn't grow compact and attach as well. The stem plants I dont love, they are not as bushy as i would like and the rotala grows sideways, which is odd. But overall, it is an interesting look. The rail for my light should be coming soon. Looking forward to seeing how things look with higher lighting and co2. I still haven't figured out my photoperiod will be when I upgrade my lighting. Right now the lights go on early so they are on before I go to work. Then off in the afternoon. Then back on in the evening when I come home. I'm not sure how that will work with co2 and turning it on and off twice in the day. I have a separate thread asking for advice on that issue. Any ideas on a photoperiod?Anyway , here are a few shots I took last night.

Sideways shot showing filter and tubing. Almost time for another cleaning.
One stem or two or Rotala in my aquarium does this as well. When it does this, it starts to root itself along the substrate and grow horizontally. It never made much sense to me since nothing is shading it, and all of the other Rotala grows just fine.

The Fraternity of Dirt #65

Marconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:37 PM   #199
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconis View Post
One stem or two or Rotala in my aquarium does this as well. When it does this, it starts to root itself along the substrate and grow horizontally. It never made much sense to me since nothing is shading it, and all of the other Rotala grows just fine.
I'm Pretty sure it's a low tech low light thing for this plant. With high light and co2 it grows drastically different. (I'm hoping!)
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 08-11-2012, 12:05 AM   #200
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by styxx View Post
8 hours (6 if the light is positioned closely to the rim of the aquarium) and just use a dual outlet timer that you can plug in both the lights and the CO2 solenoid. That way, when the lights come on the CO2 will come on. My suggestion is to have it come on when you get home from work and go off when you go to bed (at least that's what I do and that's the best way for me to see it's progress and enjoy it because I'm home the entire time). You don't need a thread, I'm here.

As for the current look, it is kind of a while jungle in there - which is fine if you want it that way, but I would keep the driftwood and the moss, it will improve dramatically with the CO2. everything else can go and you could go Iwugami (with a foreground) or Dutch and plant a bunch of stems on a rear slope.
Your right. I am going for a jungle type look but it's a bit too "wild" right now for my tastes. I'm hoping with the addition of the higher lighting and co2 I'll be able to tighten things up a bit. Here are my inspirations for this tank currently. They are both Amano scapes.
The wood , moss, stem combo in this tank is masterful! I can look at this tank for days!

And this is an iwagumi with stems but I really like the moss covered Unzan and liliopsis foreground. That will be my foreground but the smaller variety. Liliopsis maurtina.

As far as co2. I am leaning to what you suggested. Just have the lights on when I get home. I can deal with no lights in the am. I'll just be dosing and feeding anyway.
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 08-11-2012, 06:43 AM   #201
styxx
Wannabe Guru

Sounds like an excellent plan, but I think you could definitely do glosso or HC that would really complement the small size of the aquarium, you just need so slopes to do those, but either way it will look great!
Old 08-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #202
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Sounds like an excellent plan, but I think you could definitely do glosso or HC that would really complement the small size of the aquarium, you just need so slopes to do those, but either way it will look great!
Next layout maybe I'll try iwagumi. I just really love the look of wood.

A note on the crypts. They grow more compact and lower to the substrate in high light and co2. That was my original thinking when I chose them. But I'm not sure how long it will take for them to adapt. They may go through a melting phase to get them to the look I want.

I'm hopefully buying my materials to build my light hanger today. My CO2 tank is full. I'm ready to go!! Stoked!
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 08-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #203
styxx
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by frrok View Post
next layout maybe i'll try iwagumi. I just really love the look of wood.

a note on the crypts. They grow more compact and lower to the substrate in high light and co2. That was my original thinking when i chose them. But i'm not sure how long it will take for them to adapt. They may go through a melting phase to get them to the look i want.

I'm hopefully buying my materials to build my light hanger today. My co2 tank is full. I'm ready to go!! Stoked!
yes!!!
Old 08-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #204
frrok
Wannabe Guru

DAY OFF !! Light suspension has been built. Took a little tweaking but all in all pretty simple to make. I used the TMC suspension kit as it works for this light and comes with the steel wires. I was going to set up my co2 today also ...until my cheap a$$ china diffuser cracked on me while I was doing maintenance. The thing didn't even get wet yet! So... Got on my laptop and ordered a new one from GLA. it's an Up Aqua nano diffuser. hopefully that doesn't crack either. I can't spend anymore money ont he se glass products. They are so fragile!! Here is a quick shot of the RIG. let me know what you think!!
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 08-22-2012, 10:46 PM   #205
frrok
Wannabe Guru

FTS with new light. I'm really really digging it. I like the spread and there is. I more dark spot on the right side. I'm
Need dire need of a trim but I dont want to shock the plants too much with new light and different photoperiod. So I am gong to wait until I get my diffuser and set up the co2. At that point I will start to dose ferts and there will be nothing limiting for the plants. I know I did a water change but I could sear that some plants are already pearling.
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 08-23-2012, 01:35 AM   #206
styxx
Wannabe Guru

Awesome!
Old 08-23-2012, 02:36 AM   #207
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Awesome!
Thanks. I'm pretty proud of myself.
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 08-23-2012, 03:14 AM   #208
viwwo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Yours is coming out really nice. I feel to get that lush look you really need a high light. Keep it up and I'll keep on looking!

One thing tho, in the 1st picture you posted (on the bottom) what are the little green dots?
viwwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:33 AM   #209
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by viwwo View Post
Yours is coming out really nice. I feel to get that lush look you really need a high light. Keep it up and I'll keep on looking!

One thing tho, in the 1st picture you posted (on the bottom) what are the little green dots?
Do you mean in this scape above? I'm pretty sure that a hydroctyle species if im not mistaken
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 08-28-2012, 02:24 AM   #210
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Quick late night update. Got my replacement diffusor today. Not 100% happy with it. Its an up aqua glass diffusor. For one, the suction cup that it comes with slides along the shaft where the tubing connects. So it always looks crooked. Second Its making a hissing noise. I checked my bubble counter and all the connections everywhere else. ITs def the diffusor. Should have probably got the atomitizer...oh well. MAybe I'll save up for an ADA, but I dont love the pollen glass mini. wished they made a nano pollen glass beetle. Connecting my co2 was a bit of a headache. ITs hard to do something for the first time, no amount of research and reading can prepare you.. I felt like I was doing everything wrong. I didn't connect the tubing to my regulator properly and I started to hear hissing sounds...I thought something was wrong with the regulator. But after some adjusting I realized I didnt push the tubing down hard enough into the needle valve fitting. then when I got to to work with no leak, the needle valve was \turned all the way up and lots of co2 flooded my tank. luckily I adjusted it quickly.
what a pain... now Im tired and not in any mood to take any update shots. MY stem plants are starting to grow emersed from the rim of my tank. I def need to trim soon. I have all my settings for the co2 set. starting with about 1 bubble per second to start. ..then see what happens. I am also running an airstone for night time aeration. But I really hate it. Its really loud and obnoxious and not totally secured into the tank. I need to get some more suction cups for airline tubing. anyway, enough ranting for me...I finally have co2! the new phase begins!!

QUESTION: Is there supposed to be water in the reservoir of the glass diffusor below the ceramic disk?
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX