frrok's ADA MINI-M - A Slice of Nature --What has a Begininning must Have an End. - Page 13
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #181
IWANNAGOFAST
I see LEDs

PTrader: (33/100%)

the ada check valve is really good, also the suction cups that come in the set are the best ones I've ever had.
IWANNAGOFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2012, 08:59 PM   #182
SaltyNC
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

That is a good looking regulator. How is the needle valve? Does it hold its position well?
SaltyNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:51 PM   #183
styxx
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to styxx

Ok, so you see now what I'm talking about how "brightness" means something different when discussing LEDs. It is "bright" but not the same way as CFLs because they leak a lot of light and the eyes see their light differently than LEDs. I was very skeptical initially when I saw them, though I too agree with your conclusion about the build quality. I have always used CFLs and over the years my eyes just became acclimatized to the way they shine light everywhere, all the time, direction nonspecific. With these, you get the PAR the same as you would with a CFL but without as much light leakage. I guess ultimately the proof is in your tank's results. I can't wait to see that CO2 bubbling away!!

BTW, IWANNAGOFAST - it's nice to see you around these days!!!
styxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #184
frrok
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANNAGOFAST View Post
the ada check valve is really good, also the suction cups that come in the set are the best ones I've ever had.
That bubble counter is a lot...$$$ not sure if I could splurge on it right now. I need to put another order with GLA for the hanging kit for my light. So i think im going to use that one for now its only $20. I can't come up with any ideas in how to hang the led tile. The tmc hanging kit is built for the light. So rather than drive myself insane I'm just going to use that. I'll put my headaches towards building the emt pipe to suspend it.
frrok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:17 PM   #185
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
That is a good looking regulator. How is the needle valve? Does it hold its position well?
I haven't set it up yet so I have no idea. I'm not even sure which is the valve. I'm assuming it's the rubber thing on the side. Lol!!
Atomic sends directions but without pictures. Hopefully I get it right.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:19 PM   #186
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by styxx View Post
Ok, so you see now what I'm talking about how "brightness" means something different when discussing LEDs. It is "bright" but not the same way as CFLs because they leak a lot of light and the eyes see their light differently than LEDs. I was very skeptical initially when I saw them, though I too agree with your conclusion about the build quality. I have always used CFLs and over the years my eyes just became acclimatized to the way they shine light everywhere, all the time, direction nonspecific. With these, you get the PAR the same as you would with a CFL but without as much light leakage. I guess ultimately the proof is in your tank's results. I can't wait to see that CO2 bubbling away!!

BTW, IWANNAGOFAST - it's nice to see you around these days!!!
From what I could tell so far it def looks different. But the real test would be when I hang it over tank. Hopefully Ill like the shimmer effect they give. I'm
On the fence with that...
Old 07-31-2012, 03:45 AM   #187
styxx
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by frrok View Post
From what I could tell so far it def looks different. But the real test would be when I hang it over tank. Hopefully Ill like the shimmer effect they give. I'm
On the fence with that...
Oh it will. And it's mesmerizing to me. I can tell you that the amount of shimmer is directly proportional to the amount of surface movement; the more waves and movement on the surface the more shimmer. And yes, the needle valve is the plastic knob on the right that one turns to fine tune the amount of CO2 escaping.

Last edited by styxx; 07-31-2012 at 03:48 AM.. Reason: Plant Delirium!!
Old 07-31-2012, 11:02 AM   #188
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by styxx View Post
Oh it will. And it's mesmerizing to me. I can tell you that the amount of shimmer is directly proportional to the amount of surface movement; the more waves and movement on the surface the more shimmer. And yes, the needle valve is the plastic knob on the right that one turns to fine tune the amount of CO2 escaping.
We turned it on last night and I put it over the tank just to get a feel. I actually really like the shimmer. It looks very natural. Reminds me of going snorkeling and seeing the shimmer from the sun in the ocean.
UPDATE:
GLA bubble counter with intergrated check valve. Ordered.
GLA glass thermometer. Ordered
TMC suspension kit. Ordered.

All I need now is a trip to home depot and get some supplies to build my light rig. That should be fun. I'll post some pics. Hopefully I don't screw it up too bad. Hahah
Old 07-31-2012, 07:16 PM   #189
styxx
Wannabe Guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by frrok View Post
We turned it on last night and I put it over the tank just to get a feel. I actually really like the shimmer. It looks very natural. Reminds me of going snorkeling and seeing the shimmer from the sun in the ocean.
UPDATE:
GLA bubble counter with intergrated check valve. Ordered.
GLA glass thermometer. Ordered
TMC suspension kit. Ordered.

All I need now is a trip to home depot and get some supplies to build my light rig. That should be fun. I'll post some pics. Hopefully I don't screw it up too bad. Hahah
Looks like you just have to wait, because now, you'll have everything and will be ready to go! Can't wait to finally see this tank in action!
Old 08-02-2012, 02:24 AM   #190
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Now that tapatalk is back I can easily upload shots. Here is one from the other day. By the way, most of these are taken with my iPhone. I haven't had a chance to break out the canon and get a good one. I'm waiting for the money shot anyway. Hopefully I can get to home depot this weekend and get the materials I need to build the light stand. I also need to fill up my pb tank. I'm not sure that'll I'll have enough time to get this going the way I want before the end of the aqua botanic contest. Oh well. I'll wait until I get the stems a little further and I'll set up the shot. Won't be perfect.

sorry for the glare and the fan on top of stacked up books. Lolll....
The Fraternity of Dirt #11
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 08-07-2012, 02:41 AM   #191
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Errrr... Why does life get in the way of having fun with your tanks!! >:-(

No time set up my Co2. Too much work. Then when I have a day off... There is house stuff to do that takes precedence. Anyway, I shouldn't complain. I own a home now!

Well , I got my light but I need a piece to set it up anyway.
Waiting for the friendly folks at GLA to locate a piece of rail that attached to the Aquaray LED so that I don't have to buy the long one and cut it down to fit my light. More updates coming soon...
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 08-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #192
Marconis
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I like the way it's looking, everything seems to be growing in nicely. As for the shimmer effect, it's something I've always liked in saltwater tanks as a result of halide lighting, so I bet it looks great in your planted. I kind of want to go the LED route.

Also, two weeks ago I was down in Rockaway Beach for work. Nice place!

The Fraternity of Dirt #65

Marconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #193
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconis View Post
I like the way it's looking, everything seems to be growing in nicely. As for the shimmer effect, it's something I've always liked in saltwater tanks as a result of halide lighting, so I bet it looks great in your planted. I kind of want to go the LED route.

Also, two weeks ago I was down in Rockaway Beach for work. Nice place!
Thanks man. I haven't put up the LED light yet unfortunately. No time plus I have to build the hanger for it.

Rockaway is becoming a cool place to live. I've been coming out here since I was a teenager to surf and decided to live here like 6 years ago.
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 08-07-2012, 12:51 PM   #194
BS87
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

It's ok if things get in the way and they take time. I purchased my 40B in the beginning of May. I just now filled it. Spent the entire summer slowly building the stand and light support. I think it has made me appreciate it much more.
BS87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:43 PM   #195
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS87 View Post
It's ok if things get in the way and they take time. I purchased my 40B in the beginning of May. I just now filled it. Spent the entire summer slowly building the stand and light support. I think it has made me appreciate it much more.
Thank you for your input. At least I know Im not the only one. I just bought a new place and my gf and I have been working on it. Getting furniture and other projects... So it's been tough for me, I don't really have a lot of time for my hobbies between working and that. Plus I live at the beach and I am a surfer. So any free time I get, I like to spend it in the water.
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX