constant current or dimable? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 01-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #16
they call me bruce
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Here' Here' we do have a "plethora of choices" Thanks Redfish & Hoppy for all the help I think Im ready for this build Guess Ill buy the Lamborghini and drive like an angel !
Ill draw up the plans today and post them here --for one last scrutiny
Thanks again
they call me bruce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2012, 06:39 PM   #17
they call me bruce
Planted Tank Obsessed

Redfish your right; i forgot about the spreader bars i have to find out if there is 1 or 2 on a 72" long tank
Old 01-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #18
Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
Sponsor

PTrader: (0/0%)

Just to add to the comments.

48 XM-L LEDs on a 72in tank at 700mA is ALOT OF LIGHT. Dont kid your self that you need to max them out.

Just stick with 4x http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/inventron...-driver-700ma/

Its simple, no tuning, no blowing up your LEDs because meanwell wants you to open upt he driver and fiddle with a screw, easy.

And since it comes with a reference voltage, you just throw in a pot: http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/10k-ohm-1...r-easy-solder/ and you are off to the races. The pot will let you dim the LEDs because you will end up noticing its too much light.
Milad LEDGroupBuy.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #19
they call me bruce
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks milad I final thought the light will be about 8-10 inches above the water level in a 28 inch tall tank will 40 degree optics do ok? dont want spotting
Old 01-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #20
tentacles
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Well it depends on spacing as well, but for example i am using 60 deg optics 12" above substrate with 5" spacingide to side, front to back spacing is like 4" maybe. I suggest buying two options for optics, I found both times buying LEDs (got some cheap ones from aquastyleonline and cree from cutter) that the optics vary more than you'd like. For example, the pattern on the 45 deg optics i got from cutter was terrible with strange artifacts instead of a smooth spread. The 60 deg optics are fantastic. And the 80 deg optics from aquastyle just didn't seem anywhere near as bright, with a LOT more side spill than the 60.

I had a thought of using really narrow optics, like 5 degree, and mounting the LEDs recessed in (narrow) matte black tubes in the ceiling, but you'd certainly need to do some experimenting with spread and height etc to get a nice tight pool of light over the tank. But you could have "invisible" lights, although the fixture and tank would be specific to each other and rather troublesome to move. I'm going to try and get my hands on some narrow optics to try this soon-ish
tentacles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 12:01 AM   #21
they call me bruce
Planted Tank Obsessed

i was looking at a few different charts, looks like with two rows of 40 degree optics should do the job covering the tank with enough overlap that there will be no spoting
Old 03-27-2012, 01:52 AM   #22
they call me bruce
Planted Tank Obsessed

Update changed the plans a bit the tank is now 72x24x24 thats the final change ill have to live with it
so that means 3 rows of xmls cool white and nuetral light mixed with 60 degree optics about 10 inches off the water of course some blues mixed in for night light
I think the 48 total lights is way to much so i have to rethink that one

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.